Introducing 8 week kitten to 3 yr old resident cat

tray1976

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I just adopted the sweetest 8 week old tuxedo kitten. I have a 3 yr old cat who I adopted at 20 weeks of age. I brought the new kitty home yesterday and kept him in a separate room all day and night. Since the kitten is so young I thought my resident cat wouldnt have much of an issue with him. This morning I let the kitten out of the room and the resident cat hissed and slapped at the kitten. I know that is pretty typical behavior. Well now, when the kitten is roaming around the resident cat will just run after him. Once the kitten turns stops and turns around, the resident cat will hiss and swat again. Is the resident cat playing with the kitten by chasing him or do you think it is an aggresive move? Also, how much together time should I be giving them per day? I plan on keeping the kitten in a separate room at night. But I work from home, so he can roam all day. Just wondering if I should have set times for their interactions or just let the kitten roam freely during the day with my supervision? Thanks!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is an aggression or fear based move. I think your adult cat needs more time to adjust to a kitten in the house and the kitten needs time to grow a little more before I would trust their interactions. Keep the baby entirely separated from the adult for another two weeks and then start slow introductions.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I so agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 . Take this a bit slower. I will add that your resident cat, although a bit aggressive, is evidently NOT trying to harm the kitten outright. Take a few steps back, slow things down, and give him more time to adjust.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sound like your adult is fearful but more curious. I'd go with letting them interact with close supervision. He's already trying to get close so it won't take long for your adult to figure out that a kitten is fun. Accidental injuries are more likely because of the difference in size. Kitten nails are like razor blades so keep the little ones nails trimmed since he hasn't learned how to play with "soft" paws yet.

Congratulations on the new kitten.