Introducing 8 month old Kitten to Puppy TONIGHT! Help

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello guys, my kitten just turned 8 months old a couple of days ago. My family has been talking about getting a puppy for a while now, Well we all decided to buy one from my dads sister who's dogs had puppies. Well we weren't expecting our puppy till mid next month but we just got a call and we are receiving him later today! I'm excited and very nervous. I want advice as to how to introduce the puppy to my kitten. The puppy turned 4 weeks on Sunday, I believe he is a Malamute. I just want everything to go smoothly, I'm so ecstatic and nervous I cant eat and barely slept. I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks!

random gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would refuse to accept this puppy. 4 weeks is WAY too soon to be separating these pups from their mom. They need that additional 4 weeks with their litter mates for proper development. You will have behavior problems with this dog for the REST of its life if you take delivery of this puppy now. Make her keep the dog for another month, or seek elsewhere for a puppy from a reputable breeder that actually cares about this dog having a good life for the rest of its life. 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason it is so young? If there is a legitimate reason, like mom is out of milk or something with a large litter? A 4 week old will be demanding to look after. The puppy won't have any problems with the cat, it's too young, but you'll just have to make sure the cat doesn't hurt the puppy. I would make sure the cat is up off the ground for the first meeting, like on a chair or the couch and let the puppy run around for the cat to observe. The puppy will run up to the cat to play when they are both on the ground, so be near and watch carefully. In a couple of weeks they should be used to each other. I'm very happy and excited for you, I hope you have many, many happy years together! Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:

random gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even if mom is out of milk, the puppy should not be separated from his litter mates until they are 8 weeks old, even if they have to be bottle fed. The puppies can, and should stay together, even if they have to be separated from mom, there is no logical reason to separate them unless the owner has not been giving them their vaccinations like they should, and one of the pups has contracted parvo. In which case, I still would not take this puppy. The person responsible for breeding these puppies should know all of that and it sounds like they don't. Most pups nurse until 7 weeks old. These puppies are still learning how to walk and talk. They don't finish their development in canine communication before 8 weeks of age.

If this dog leaves his litter mates now, he will never respond to training the way other dogs will. With a breed as large as malamutes can get... I would not want to take the risk that this dog will suffer from some sort of emotional trauma because he was separated from his litter mates too early. These dogs are active enough and a challenge to train, without this sort of developmental setback. I'm sure the OP is a wonderful pet owner, but most people are challenged just by having a puppy from this breed at all. That's assuming that the puppy has been raised properly for 8 weeks, prior to coming home. This situation is a disaster waiting to happen. If there are kids in the OPs home, I would be afraid to accept delivery of this puppy. 

ETA: I'll back down now. I'm very concerned for the safety of the OP and her family in the future if they take delivery of this puppy now, but I think I've made that more than clear. I don't mean to come on too strongly here and I apologize if I've made anyone feel uncomfortable. I've rescued dogs for nearly two decades and have seen dogs come out of situations like this go on to do horrible things later in life. I would hate to see that happen to someone, if my speaking up could prevent it. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Is there a reason it is so young? If there is a legitimate reason, like mom is out of milk or something with a large litter? A 4 week old will be demanding to look after. The puppy won't have any problems with the cat, it's too young, but you'll just have to make sure the cat doesn't hurt the puppy. I would make sure the cat is up off the ground for the first meeting, like on a chair or the couch and let the puppy run around for the cat to observe. The puppy will run up to the cat to play when they are both on the ground, so be near and watch carefully. In a couple of weeks they should be used to each other. I'm very happy and excited for you, I hope you have many, many happy years together! Good luck and keep us posted!
We're getting the puppy from my dads sister. They live in New Mexico and his brother in law is already in the process of bringing him down along with some of his litter mates. We've been told that they have been eating dry food already, I thought it was strange that he was weened off already but he was part of a big litter. The youngest person in my home is my little brother who isn't so little haha hes 13 gonna be 14 soon. And its okay I understand you being passionate about this. But is their any advice you could give me seeing as he is already on his way?

Even if mom is out of milk, the puppy should not be separated from his litter mates until they are 8 weeks old, even if they have to be bottle fed. The puppies can, and should stay together, even if they have to be separated from mom, there is no logical reason to separate them unless the owner has not been giving them their vaccinations like they should, and one of the pups has contracted parvo. In which case, I still would not take this puppy. The person responsible for breeding these puppies should know all of that and it sounds like they don't. Most pups nurse until 7 weeks old. These puppies are still learning how to walk and talk. They don't finish their development in canine communication before 8 weeks of age.

If this dog leaves his litter mates now, he will never respond to training the way other dogs will. With a breed as large as malamutes can get... I would not want to take the risk that this dog will suffer from some sort of emotional trauma because he was separated from his litter mates too early. These dogs are active enough and a challenge to train, without this sort of developmental setback. I'm sure the OP is a wonderful pet owner, but most people are challenged just by having a puppy from this breed at all. That's assuming that the puppy has been raised properly for 8 weeks, prior to coming home. This situation is a disaster waiting to happen. If there are kids in the OPs home, I would be afraid to accept delivery of this puppy. 

ETA: I'll back down now. I'm very concerned for the safety of the OP and her family in the future if they take delivery of this puppy now, but I think I've made that more than clear. I don't mean to come on too strongly here and I apologize if I've made anyone feel uncomfortable. I've rescued dogs for nearly two decades and have seen dogs come out of situations like this go on to do horrible things later in life. I would hate to see that happen to someone, if my speaking up could prevent it. 

random gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Get familiar with a local animal behaviorist and go to puppy kindergarten with him as soon as he's finished his first puppy vaccinations and you find a class and a trainer that you like. Do not skimp on the obedience training. IMO, this dog is going to need every ounce of help he can get, and obedience classes will help socialize him in a way that he hasn't been socialized up to this point. I would take him through the obedience classes all the way through to the CGC test, and I might even continue to do Rally events or Agility with him. He will need constant training and constant socialization for the rest of his life. It should take you about a year to do all of those classes to the CGC though. Talk to the trainer about the bad start he had when you go to your first puppy kindergarten class. If you need special assistance, they can help you. 

Also, have a LOT of patience. You are going to need it. 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had several puppies and kittens that were orphaned at a very young age, and ALL of them turned out all right. At least you've got all kinds of advise from the internet. If the puppy is separated all ready and is eating fine, I think everyone should now concentrate on how to help GraveKandi and not give her all these dire predictions. Some animals wean early when they have big litters, and what is done is done. Remember, dogs are pack animals and this puppy will bond and look to you on how to act. I think you'll be fine, you've got what is most important.....a big heart and lots of love!

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Get familiar with a local animal behaviorist and go to puppy kindergarten with him as soon as he's finished his first puppy vaccinations and you find a class and a trainer that you like. Do not skimp on the obedience training. IMO, this dog is going to need every ounce of help he can get, and obedience classes will help socialize him in a way that he hasn't been socialized up to this point. I would take him through the obedience classes all the way through to the CGC test, and I might even continue to do Rally events or Agility with him. He will need constant training and constant socialization for the rest of his life. It should take you about a year to do all of those classes to the CGC though. Talk to the trainer about the bad start he had when you go to your first puppy kindergarten class. If you need special assistance, they can help you. 

Also, have a LOT of patience. You are going to need it. 
Okay and thanks.

I've had several puppies and kittens that were orphaned at a very young age, and ALL of them turned out all right. At least you've got all kinds of advise from the internet. If the puppy is separated all ready and is eating fine, I think everyone should now concentrate on how to help GraveKandi and not give her all these dire predictions. Some animals wean early when they have big litters, and what is done is done. Remember, dogs are pack animals and this puppy will bond and look to you on how to act. I think you'll be fine, you've got what is most important.....a big heart and lots of love!
Thank you very much! I have tons of love for both of them (:

Just a quick update, I haven't officially introduced them quite yet. They are taking turns having free range of the house while the other is locked in a safe room with necessities and supervision as needed. When we brought the puppy in he was much smaller then expected, hes the runt of his litter. He is literally half the size of my cat so I'm not too worried about that.  For now I'm letting them explore and get used to each others scent. I'm thinking perhaps Sunday I am letting them officially meet.

random gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Given the circumstances you acquired this puppy under, are you positive that he's four weeks old? I might take him to your vet. You should do this anyway, because he is new to your house, he should be wormed at 4 weeks of age and there are vaccinations he needs before you can even introduce him to your cat. His immune system is very new still.

I would continue the separation, unless directed to do otherwise by your vet, but I wouldn't do ANYTHING without talking to my vet first. A malamute puppy at 4 weeks old, should weigh at least 1 and a half pounds. If you think he's not even close to that, get him to the vet. 

Last edited:

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Given the circumstances you acquired this puppy under, are you positive that he's four weeks old? I might take him to your vet. You should do this anyway, because he is new to your house, he should be wormed at 4 weeks of age and there are vaccinations he needs before you can even introduce him to your cat. His immune system is very new still.

I would continue the separation, unless directed to do otherwise by your vet, but I wouldn't do ANYTHING without talking to my vet first. A malamute puppy at 4 weeks old, should weigh at least 1 and a half pounds. If you think he's not even close to that, get him to the vet. 
I took the puppy into the vet yesterday for his puppy check up and de-worming and I also took my kitty to get her booster shots, we don't have a go to vet, were kinda trying to find a permanent vet at the moment. The vet we went to go see on Monday wasn't the best, he didn't really want to talk or give us time to talk. He weighed them both and gave them a check up and gave the dog a de-wormer and the cat her booster shots and trimmed both of their nails and we were out of his office within 10 mins max :/ So I didn't really have time to ask or so anything. All I know is that their both healthy and the dog needs to return when he is 8weeks to get his first shots. When we got him at 4 weeks he was about 2.5 pounds. As of Monday he is 5.5 pounds.