Introducing 3 cats to a dog or puppy?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been considering getting a dog but I'm worried about how my cats will take it. None of them have experience around dogs (except for the 10 days we lived with my parents and their dog when my apartment flooded a few years ago). Does anyone have any suggestions to make an introduction go smoothly? I'm hoping to have my sister bring over her calmer dog to see how my cats take to being around one before I actually decide to go forward with an adoption. I will definitely not be adopting a small dog though because in the immortal words of Ron Swanson, "Any dog under fifty pounds is a cat and cats are pointless." Although I disagree with cats being pointless. ;)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any dog under fifty pounds is a cat
Haha! I used to think so but now I wuv my little dogs (and the big ones. Hey get one of each!). What breeds are you thinking of?

Get lots of tall baby gates and cat trees so the cats can remove themselves from that filthy creature whener they want. Take it slow, keep the dog in an entirely separare room when you're not home. Don't expect fast results.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles

I have always had GSDs..for the most part. One Jack Russell and an Aussie....but even the Jack was larger for that breed.
Breed might have a little to do with it. What breeds are you considering? Even if you are going to a shelter, you probably have some mixes in mind.
I don't have a specific breed in mind. The ones I'm drawn to are rottweilers, retrievers, hounds, Newfies, and shepherds, so I tend to look for ones with those mixes.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm hoping to have my sister bring over her calmer dog to see how my cats take to being around one before I actually decide to go forward with an adoption.
Although that's definitely a good idea it's only temporary and not the dog you would be bringing into your home. Introductions could go differently with her dog vs the one you adopt. And having lived with your parent's dog I'm sure you already know it takes time and patience. I love the bigger dogs too but a Newfie or Rottie might be a bit much for them to handle. However, both are sweet breeds in spite of the bad rap Rotties so often get.

You may want to check out some of threads in this forum since a lot of members have posted a similar question: Other Pets & Animals Or consider adopting from a rescue group since many of their dogs are in a home environment with a foster family who can give you some background information about the dog especially if the foster has cats. Good luck, please let us know what you decide. 🐾