introducing 2nd cat in studio apartment

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I'd be able to do fostering. I'd get too attached and wouldn't want to give the other cat up when the time came. I always stop to visit them at the pet store and end up having to fight the urge to adopt more.
You’re like me

I have six and no regrets

BUT I don’t have anyone to give me grief about it

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if something like this might work to introduce the cats:

More than likely, the nine year old who Marx wants to adopt is in something similar at the shelter anyway. If the eight year old could tolerate her, even temporarily, it could buy her some time.
I’d try it!

I’d add a privacy box for the caged kitty

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

More than likely, the nine year old who Marx wants to adopt is in something similar at the shelter anyway. If the eight year old could tolerate her, even temporarily, it could buy her some time.
This would be my suggestion, you'll be able to see if they get along without risking injury if they decide they want to fight.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I used one of these when introducing Clove to Chilli. Clove stayed in the bathroom at night but she hung out in the cage a few times during the day. It worked pretty well and within a few days they were playing footsie through the bars. ;) I’m sure it would take a lot longer with an adult cat, though (and it’s much easier to carry a tiny kitten back and forth from bathroom to cage).

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi rosegold rosegold , can you give us more details about how you introduced the two adult cats? Did you keep one of them in the bathroom (or another room) 24/7, including feeding her there, while the other one had the reign for the rest of the house? Did the separation by door slowly graduate to separation by a gate? Did you do scent swapping as well?

I think it may be useful for all of us on this forum to hear/read about your process in a small space :)