Introducing 2 month old female Kitty to my 1 year old female cat gone wrong :( please help

Primesolea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

So I adopted a 2 month old kitten who needed a house and couldn't be kept where she was anymore. I brought her home in a kettle and placed her from the beginning to face my older cat, they started hissing to each other so I took the baby kitten to a closed room and made a base camp. The next day my cat was really anxious whenever I came into the kitten room and scratched the door, she seemed really friendly with the kittens odor on my clothes and some other cloths that I used to stick the new kitten's smell. so I placed them together in the living room supervising, at first the resident cat just followed the kitten around and they ignored each other, but suddenly the kitten got aware of the resident cat and started following her. My older cat jumped to a chair and so the kitten could get to her, she kept going around the place. An then she entered the kitchen and the older cat kind of wanted to run over her but didn't cause I was there, but then the kitten got closer to her on a couch, she started hissing and I took the kitten before anything happened, but not before my resident cat tried to give a claw to the kitten and hit me, not me nor the kitten were injured. I decided to put the kitten away in her room again. Te next day the cat caught the kitten through a window and started getting really angry and tried to attack the kitten through the glass.

After all of these I started watching videos of cats introductions and started following all instructions. Right now I swap their cloths and beds and toys, my older cat doesn't seem to have a problem with these items smells. But when it comes to feeding times each one behind the door, the resident cat wont eat. I don't know if I already ruined everything by letting them watch each other, and letting the kitten go around as my other cat was there. I live on my own, so I'm having lots of trouble knowing what is happening behind the other door when all this exercises happen, I have to divide my entire time between both of the cats without knowing what the other is doing while I'm watching over one of them. It's been less that a week, maybe I'm going to fast I know. It just breaks my heart to have a little kitten confined (I have to go to work part of my day and I leave them alone, that's one of the main reasons I decided to adopt another cat, cause the first one sometimes felt lonely, she used to have a dog sister that's now gone), and I feel I should be hanging out with her a little more while she's a baby, but also I have to dedicate a lot of time to my other cat so she doesn't feel left out. It's been really hard doing it on my own, and I would just like some tips or reassurance that what I'm doing is right, or if maybe already ruined by my past actions?

I really hope not, I love both of the cats so much, and could not imagine a future were they hate each other, or my older cat really injures the little one.

Thank for reading, and lots of cat love to you all.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things are not ruined. It takes time. This is a kitten and your other cat is going to show dominance and try to teach the kitten the rules of the house and the rules of being a cat. Having the kitten follow your other cat is natural to a kitten. Also a bit nerve wracking to a cat that has not had kittens around. It will pass. The kitten will learn the rules and your other cat is very likely to take on a more parental role after getting used to having the kitten around. Keep doing the scent swapping. If there is a way you can put the kitten into a large carrier or crate to let the other cat observe without being pursued by the kitten, your cat may wish for you to let the kitten out after some time together. You can do that regularly and return the kitten to the other room after some time to let your cat relax again. A wand toy you may help too. Playing can distract them from each other and help bring them together in a joint activity. Maybe you can hold your cat while the kitten explores too. Although the kitten could get a swat, most adult cats will not try to inflict real harm. I have blended many adult cat with many kittens. Some adults have jumped up high for some peace and quiet but not one ever inflicted damage. They did discipline the kittens but would leave rather than hurt. Keep doing what you are doing. They haven’t been in the same house very long. Time and patience will win out. Please do keep us updated and I know that many here will be following and give helpful information as things go along.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Primesolea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your feedback :hyper:, it definitely made me feel much better and secure. I have an extra question, my resident cat (IKU) had never had feeding times before, she free feeds. I started trying feeding schedules for them to eat on each side of the door, but I don't know if this is doing worse on IKU. Do you think I should stay on free feeding her so she doesn't relate this to the new kittens arrival? or keep trying feeding schedules for the introduction process to be rigorous?

Hope you are having an amazing night or day wherever you are, thank you so much for the comfort, I am eternally gratefull!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s a good question! I think that less stress during introductions might be better but I understand that you may be using feedings to help them to relate to each other. Personally, I would let my resident cat keep her schedule right now and if you need to use food as a bonding tool then I would find a special food treat for that time only. If you want your cat on a different feeding schedule permanently then I think that adjusting that after the kitties are adjusted to each other may make it less stressful for all.
I hope you are having a good night or day wherever you are too! Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign:

Primesolea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Soooo, my resident cat (Iku) already kind of accepted the new kitten (Kai). I can se she gets playful with the kitten, but I don't know if she's still a little too big for the little one. I've notice that Iku sometimes swats Kai, but I see she uses no claws, and she kind of plays with her. I don't know if the kitten get angry with this games, the kitten is always on a fight pose, but then runs to get my resident cat too.
They wont sleep or rest together, but maybe this could happen later? I think everything is right the way its going, but Idk, do you have any more advice?

Lots of good cat vibes from here!

Primesolea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys,

i just came back home after a few hours of going out. Started greeting my cats since the begging (I just adopted a 2 month old cat and have a 1 year old already) and then went into bed.Kitten is kind of crazy, she’s got too much energy, she was running like crazy then suddenly she came to my lap, over the sheets and started peeing on me. I’ve never had a cat pee on me before, never heard of it. It was super weird, I have 2 litter boxes at home, all clean, don’t know why the kitty would pee on me. I’m worried this could be some extreme behavior that is not gonna be easy to control y the future.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may want to get her checked for a UTI, urinary tract infection, she may have just been too far from the litter box to make it. Like a toddler that has an accident. Get some ENZYME cat urine remover spray, it actually destroys the urine and removes the odor so she won't go there again.
Adult cats are 'programed' not to hurt kittens. It is very rare an adult will really hurt one. Swats, hisses, growling, and pinning the kitten to the floor are all ways of disciplining the kitten which females are driven to do. females are hardwired to be the manners teachers, the limit setters. The kitten needs this to grow up to know not to play too rough. It really sounds pretty good, they WILL become a family unit, 'sisters', in time, after the kitten grows up enough not to be so annoying, like a teenager that suddenly matures!

Primesolea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will take her to the vet today, but it was strange, the litter box was really close, and she kind of used my blanket as litter 😂😂😂, she was running around like crazy. They are both really close now, I hope they get even closer :)