Introducing 16 Year Old Cat Into My Household

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
unfortunately i think Oriana might be dying, the vets can't find anything wrong with her but she won't eat dry or wet food, and i found her hiding under a footstool. I'm discussing euthanasia so she doesn't starve to death. but she walks around like normal and meows just as much when i'm around. at this point waking up to find her gone would be better than the alternative.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, the Gerber baby food in the small jars, meat only, no onion or garlic, often tempts cats to eat again. Chicken, turkey, lamb, or beef. And there are appetite stimulants available from "pet" supply stores and vets. Nutri-Cal for Cats is one. *Prayers* for sweet Oriana!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
unfortunately i think Oriana might be dying, the vets can't find anything wrong with her but she won't eat dry or wet food, and i found her hiding under a footstool. I'm discussing euthanasia so she doesn't starve to death. but she walks around like normal and meows just as much when i'm around. at this point waking up to find her gone would be better than the alternative.
I'm so sorry.

My elderly cat didn't eat more than a couple mouthfuls the last week of her life. My vet told me when I brought her in that it was good she wasn't eating, because her organs were shutting down and couldn't handle the food, so eating would make her feel worse. If your vet agrees that she is dying, don't force anything and let her do what she likes.

When we got to the vet we didn't do any tests. My vet just felt her heart rate and confirmed the end was coming. I preferred the euthanasia route, but my vet told me it was pretty likely her last days would be peaceful if we let her go naturally as well. If your cat is going through the same thing, I hope that brings you some peace. Dying of old age is probably one of the best ways to go.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.

My elderly cat didn't eat more than a couple mouthfuls the last week of her life. My vet told me when I brought her in that it was good she wasn't eating, because her organs were shutting down and couldn't handle the food, so eating would make her feel worse. If your vet agrees that she is dying, don't force anything and let her do what she likes.

When we got to the vet we didn't do any tests. My vet just felt her heart rate and confirmed the end was coming. I preferred the euthanasia route, but my vet told me it was pretty likely her last days would be peaceful if we let her go naturally as well. If your cat is going through the same thing, I hope that brings you some peace. Dying of old age is probably one of the best ways to go.
That was how my mom was, too, at the end of her days, as well as other loved ones. It is a natural and normal progression. But in case Oriana is not ready to go, there are the suggestions I've posted above. My Rani angel stopped eating for three days when she was 16. Then, she began again, and left us when she was 19.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was how my mom was, too, at the end of her days, as well as other loved ones. It is a natural and normal progression. But in case Oriana is not ready to go, there are the suggestions I've posted above. My Rani angel stopped eating for three days when she was 16. Then, she began again, and left us when she was 19.
Very true! She could just be having a bad week. Your vet could probably tell, or you might have a good sense based on how she's behaved in the past.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very true! She could just be having a bad week. Your vet could probably tell, or you might have a good sense based on how she's behaved in the past.
My Rani angel had NEVER gone off her food like that before. I'll never know why she did. But she came back. So I'm a firm, firm believer in "NEVER give up on a cat."

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to read this. Hopefully she's just having a few bad days. She's not constipated, is she. That's common with older cats, and can cause lack of appetite and discomfort..

Sending healing vibes your way. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This might be the last day of Orinnas life, she has a vet appointment today. 18 years is pretty good for a cat. She is refusing to eat anything, and her teeth are fine. I will not let her starve to death.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might be the last day of Orinnas life, she has a vet appointment today. 18 years is pretty good for a cat. She is refusing to eat anything, and her teeth are fine. I will not let her starve to death.
My heartfelt *Prayers* going up for Orinna, and for you. Yes, 18 is a good age. But our beloved Rani angel stopped eating for 3 days, for unknown reasons, and started again. She left us at 19.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sure it has been mentioned before, but...If the vet thinks she is in good health otherwise, you might consider discussing a feeding tube to see if you can get her past whatever it is that is going on. There are many members on this site who have taken care of cats with feeding tubes - for a multitude of reasons. All of them have said that it is very easy to manage/handle once they 'got the hang of it'.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't been here in a week, because my vet and I did decide to put her down. At least it is summer so I could bury her, on my property. I decided to bury Oscar's ashes with her. Molly and Mister better live for at least as long as the poor sweet old gal.
20200402_170241.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless you, and her!!

There's a Crossing The Bridge forum if you aren't familiar with it, where you could tell us a little more about her when you are able to.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been here in a week, because my vet and I did decide to put her down. At least it is summer so I could bury her, on my property. I decided to bury Oscar's ashes with her. Molly and Mister better live for at least as long as the poor sweet old gal.View attachment 340469
:hearthrob: ((((((((^^)))))))):hearthrob:Fly free, whole, healthy, and forever Cherished, beautiful angel Oriana. Watch over your loved ones here below until reunited in due time. *My heartfelt condolences for your loss! She was and will always be much loved.*

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry kobata1928 kobata1928

She was a beautiful girl and it's obvious how much you loved her. I'll lock this thread now, as a sign or respect to Oriana. When you feel ready you're welcome to start a thread in her memory in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in Peace Oriana. You will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.