Introducing 16 Year Old Cat Into My Household

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today while at my computer I heard a rustling and looked over to find Oriana all cuddled up in my dirty clothes laundry bag. She shouldn't have separation anxiety since I'm always here. Hopefully she just likes a nice warm spot.
20191016_234129 (Copy).jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today while at my computer I heard a rustling and looked over to find Oriana all cuddled up in my dirty clothes laundry bag. She shouldn't have separation anxiety since I'm always here. Hopefully she just likes a nice warm spot.
View attachment 304484
She is so beautiful! Yes, nice warm, soft, secure places are sought after by cats. Tarifa is 16 now and follows me when I leave the room, then comes back when I return to the office. She sleeps with me every night and has several favorite places. Every moment with her is cherished, and the unconditional loyalty, love, beauty and true friendship cats give are matchless!

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going back to work outside the house, it must be done. I so wished they could all get along before this, but humans must live too. I"m not going to lock her in a room again, but I really don't know what i'm going to do.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going back to work outside the house, it must be done. I so wished they could all get along before this, but humans must live too. I"m not going to lock her in a room again, but I really don't know what i'm going to do.
Do what you need to do, and don't worry. In the vast majority of cases, cats work it out themselves. As long as there is no actual violence going on, let them decide their places in the family.

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 304484
Hi everyone, I decided to come back and see how everyone is doing. I have been wondering how it's been going with your sweet elderly girl. It's been 5 and a half months since I lost my sweet girl. On the 23 she would have been 17 years old now. I remember when I seen you asking for help last year about elderly cats I was so drawn in to. I really hope that all is well. 💐💖

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After a week back to work outside my home, it's better than I wished. Oriana goes downstairs, like she has never done for a year. Oriana doesn't like being alone and is asleep on my recliner in my living room every day. Mister ignores her, Molly still hates Oriana

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After a week back to work outside my home, it's better than I wished. Oriana goes downstairs, like she has never done for a year. Oriana doesn't like being alone and is asleep on my recliner in my living room every day. Mister ignores her, Molly still hates Oriana
But it's good progress in such a short time, really! Good for sweet Oriana. Time, I think, will bring more positive developments in the family!

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I came home last night Mister and Oriana were sleeping in opposite recliners. Oriana still hissed at Mister when I woke them up coming in. He just walked away, so I think he is doing good.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thing I forgot to mention is I have two litter boxes upstairs and two downstairs. Oriana has been using one downstairs on her trips down there, Mister and Molly have completely refused to use it for the past week.I have a 5th litter box I could put out, but no real place to put it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I forgot to mention is I have two litter boxes upstairs and two downstairs. Oriana has been using one downstairs on her trips down there, Mister and Molly have completely refused to use it for the past week.I have a 5th litter box I could put out, but no real place to put it.
Having a good number of boxes, in convenient locations, benefits cats AND their human family members!

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today when I was feeding my cats lunch, Oriana came down and charged Mister. He ran away the wrong way and ended up getting cornered. Lots of hissing and growling. I am starting to wish he would give her a swat, I don't want her hurt, but maybe a swat with claws would change her attitude.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today when I was feeding my cats lunch, Oriana came down and charged Mister. He ran away the wrong way and ended up getting cornered. Lots of hissing and growling. I am starting to wish he would give her a swat, I don't want her hurt, but maybe a swat with claws would change her attitude.
Yeah, I used to think that about Baby Su and Elvis, too, but they've gotten into two rolling balls of fury so far, and I don't see any benefit.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I used to think that about Baby Su and Elvis, too, but they've gotten into two rolling balls of fury so far, and I don't see any benefit.
Having Oriana without claws has always been a big worry of mine. But she is always the aggressor, Molly still runs and hides under the bed and Mister just sprints to another room. If they don't learn to stand up for themselves, I don't see how this will ever change. All 3 cats have been eating less of the wet food I give them, with Oriana eating almost none. I give her access to a high protein dry, but she used to love the wet before I went back to work. I'm on shutdown until after the new year, so I'm interested to see if their behavior changes while I'm home.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having Oriana without claws has always been a big worry of mine. But she is always the aggressor, Molly still runs and hides under the bed and Mister just sprints to another room. If they don't learn to stand up for themselves, I don't see how this will ever change. All 3 cats have been eating less of the wet food I give them, with Oriana eating almost none. I give her access to a high protein dry, but she used to love the wet before I went back to work. I'm on shutdown until after the new year, so I'm interested to see if their behavior changes while I'm home.
I feel the same way, @kobata. Baby Su is a fairly large girl and feral. She is absolutely capable of standing up to Elvis -- she just doesn't because she is in fear of him. But during my roomies' moving-in period and when various techs and a plumber were here, she and Elvis hid under "her" bed with absolutely no running and no fighting. She is getting braver about not running when she's seen by Elvis, as long as Elvis doesn't take off after her (which is only caused by her running from him. If she doesn't run, he doesn't chase).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Status
Not open for further replies.