Introducing 16 Year Old Cat Into My Household

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You haven't talked about Molly is she doing ok? My son's cat cat that he had when he was little that was declawed used to box. My son taught him. I'm glad she's sticks up for herself .
Molly is doing fine, and just as cute as ever.

This week I have been giving all unrestricted access, any and all time I'm home and awake. For the most part Molly refuses to go upstairs. Oriana refuses to go downstairs. Mister will go wherever he wants, and gets some hisses from both at times. I feel bad for him, because he is such a lovable creature, he just doesn't understand when someone doesn't love him.

He now needs to be in my lap any time I'm sitting down.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With purrrserverance, determination, and a total lack of the concept that he's driving them crazy, Mister will succeed in making friends with them.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It has been so long that I forced interaction. Today I locked Mister and Oriana in the same room. At any negative sign, I will intervene, because Mister still has his claws; but I haven't heard anything in the past 2 hours so I assume they are both asleep.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
5 month update, they still hate each other. I have had to segregate the house to upstairs and and downstairs.

taralynnallred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats that the oldest is 3 years old. My sister is moving cross country and doesn't want to put that stress on her elderly 16 year old cat so i'm taking her in. She hasn't even seen another cat in at least 12 years. She is front declawed and all my cats still have all their claws. I feed all my cats a strict wet caloric diet, 3 meals a day. Oriana has been free fed dry food her whole life. This is her, she needs to lose a few pounds.
View attachment 255446
I want the rest of her life to be as gentle and easy as possible. I have been keeping her in a spare bedroom and after 1 week i've been letting my cats see her through a crack in the door and no one is happy. Even my own cats who get along well are hissing at each other. I will make sure she gets better food and loses weight eventually, but right now i dont want to stress her out. Right now i am locking my cats on the first floor of my house half the day so she can explore the 2nd floor as she wishes. Any tips anyone has would be appreciated.
I’m having a very similar situation myself, the only difference being the new introduced cat is the same age as my other two. My resident cats had a spat this afternoon, the one hissing at the other as well. I separate them when it happens, I bought baby gates for when i’m At work, to keep everyone safe, and i’m Just hoping time will help everyone at least tolerate each other! I wish I had an answer for you, but i’m Just figuring this out myself, but you’re not alone in this! And like you, i don’t have a choice, the new cat is going nowhere! Let me know if you figure it out, and i’ll Do the same!

taralynnallred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually I do have a question: how long did it take before your resident cats stopped hissing at each other?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friends, cats are like people. Sometimes there's an instant bonding -- sometimes it's enemies forever, and everything in between. Elvis has been with us for three years, and Baby Su is still afraid of him because he still chases her. The only time I have a closed door between them is during the 3 mealtimes, and of course I give her time for the bathroom after eating. The rest of the time, all doors are open.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats took a year before they tolerated each other, much fighting before that. I kept them separated but they could see each other, and once in a while one would get out. They did eventually become family, so don't give up hope!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats took a year before they tolerated each other, much fighting before that. I kept them separated but they could see each other, and once in a while one would get out. They did eventually become family, so don't give up hope!
Same with our beloved angel Sammi. He and Calo would sometimes be a rolling ball of fury that I had to break up with a broom handle. But eventually:
IMG_2316.JPG
*Angels Sammi and Calo*:redheartpump::redheartpump::loveeyes:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My big update today is that oriana has been used to using a litter box that is shamefully too small for her. i have had a proper sized box next to hers for this past week and today is the first time she has used it.
Homemade sterlite boxes are the best!25 inches long, 18 inches tall and dont remember the width. My nicest cat was mean to my other new cat but that stopped after a few months

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well Oriana officially turned 17 this month, and she is still as spry as a kitten. I hope she has many years of good life left. I try to limit the heights she will jump off of in fear of her hurting herself. She has gone from 14 pounds to 10.6 with a proper wet diet. It has been so surprising that after 16 years of dry food, she now refuses to eat any dry food. I thought it might be her teeth, but the vet says her teeth are amazing for a cat 1/4 her age. I now give her 5 meals a day just to maintain the necessary calories, but she gobbles it up.
When I switch floors with them, Molly is still not happy at all. She even hisses at me. Yesterday she hissed at a pillow Oriana had laid on, then hissed at Mister for being in her way.

stamper3d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats that the oldest is 3 years old. My sister is moving cross country and doesn't want to put that stress on her elderly 16 year old cat so i'm taking her in. She hasn't even seen another cat in at least 12 years. She is front declawed and all my cats still have all their claws. I feed all my cats a strict wet caloric diet, 3 meals a day. Oriana has been free fed dry food her whole life. This is her, she needs to lose a few pounds.
View attachment 255446
I want the rest of her life to be as gentle and easy as possible. I have been keeping her in a spare bedroom and after 1 week i've been letting my cats see her through a crack in the door and no one is happy. Even my own cats who get along well are hissing at each other. I will make sure she gets better food and loses weight eventually, but right now i dont want to stress her out. Right now i am locking my cats on the first floor of my house half the day so she can explore the 2nd floor as she wishes. Any tips anyone has would be appreciated.
I`m so glad you are giving her a forever home. I`ll bet she is a sweet little old lady!
You might try swapping blankets out between her and the other kitties for awhile, back and forth, without washing them, so they might get used to each others scents. Feliway plug in and spray could help keep everyone calm. It really does work well and is worth the $ when introducing cats to each other.
Too bad cats are`nt more like dogs, where they just sniff each others bottoms and then run off to play together, eh? Good luck to all of you!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Oriana officially turned 17 this month, and she is still as spry as a kitten. I hope she has many years of good life left. I try to limit the heights she will jump off of in fear of her hurting herself. She has gone from 14 pounds to 10.6 with a proper wet diet. It has been so surprising that after 16 years of dry food, she now refuses to eat any dry food. I thought it might be her teeth, but the vet says her teeth are amazing for a cat 1/4 her age. I now give her 5 meals a day just to maintain the necessary calories, but she gobbles it up.
When I switch floors with them, Molly is still not happy at all. She even hisses at me. Yesterday she hissed at a pillow Oriana had laid on, then hissed at Mister for being in her way.
Wishing Oriana a very happy, healthy, safe and Loved 17th year *and many, many more!*

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oriana hasn't been herself the past couple of days. She is still eating and drinking fine, but only wants to lay in her bed. In Ohio, it has been the time of year to close the windows, which all my cats hate. I think a trip to the vet is called for, but she absolutely hates car rides. Somehow just recently, I realized the anguish I have set myself up for, by agreeing to care for an elderly cat. I'm to the frantic point where when I see her sleeping, I go pet her to make sure she is still alive:(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not unusual for an elderly cat to sleep more, as long as she is eating, drinking, and using the litter box it may be she is just worn out from something in her life right now. she may have even strained a muscle a little bit, or feeling arthritis in her joints.
I know the anguish you are talking about, I did the same thing with my Burt. By having you in her life you have given her the greatest gift she could ever want. What she has brought into your life will far outweigh the anguish when she leaves. In time. Just love her all you can every day, and know you have filled her world with what she wants most. Just take one day at a time.......

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, hon, I know the anguish you are speaking of, as well. And the dread of eventually losing a cat was one of the reasons it took me so long to adopt one. But finally I realized that giving a cat a home and happy life, and the love I'd receive back in return, was worth the pain I'd sufferl when I lost them, and 6 years ago next month, I adopted my Ruby. Sometimes though, already, I worry that she's getting older too quickly. :(

Hopefully there's nothing bad going on with Oriana, other than just being a senior lady. But if you suspect it's something else, definitely call your vet. Please keep us posted.

Meanwhile, here's a couple TCS articles that might be helpful:

What To Expect As Your Cat Ages

35 Signs That Your Cat May Be In Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.