Introducing 16 Year Old Cat Into My Household

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took Oscar to the vet, and he had an infection, with a 105 fever. He is doing better after some antibiotics , but still not eating like he used to do. Mister and Oriana have a routine where every day I open her door and he runs upstairs to be there. She meows at him, he growls and runs away. Yesterday, he entered her room and she walked right up to him and meowed and he flopped down and rolled over.

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took Oscar to the vet, and he had an infection, with a 105 fever. He is doing better after some antibiotics , but still not eating like he used to do. Mister and Oriana have a routine where every day I open her door and he runs upstairs to be there. She meows at him, he growls and runs away. Yesterday, he entered her room and she walked right up to him and meowed and he flopped down and rolled over.
Omg how awful for you . Is Oscar ok? What kind of infection did the poor baby boy have? How is Molly? You didn't mention her. It sounds like the other two are going to be ok. Especially when mister flopped down and rolled over to her yesterday. That's a great sign.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omg how awful for you . Is Oscar ok? What kind of infection did the poor baby boy have? How is Molly? You didn't mention her. It sounds like the other two are going to be ok. Especially when mister flopped down and rolled over to her yesterday. That's a great sign.
I'm not sure what sort of infection Oscar had, but after weeks of intense antibiotics he is just now starting to get his appetite back. He lost way too many pounds that he as risk of fatty liver disease. Probably 3 pounds in 2 months. I can feel all his bones:mad2: I'm going to give him any and all food he wants until he recovers.

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what sort of infection Oscar had, but after weeks of intense antibiotics he is just now starting to get his appetite back. He lost way too many pounds that he as risk of fatty liver disease. Probably 3 pounds in 2 months. I can feel all his bones:mad2: I'm going to give him any and all food he wants until he recovers.
Give him lots of love from all of us. We think about you guys offend.

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor dolly has caught a cold. She's been sleeping under the blanket again. And curling up on my chest. She's been that way for 2 days. I am keeping a extra close eye on her. Love to Oscar and others. I hope that he has a speedy recovery. Hugs and kisses from all of us.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right now it is so very cold in Ohio, I feel bad for locking Oriana in her room where the house's warm air doesn't circulate. Her room is in the low 60's, so I guess she is fine, since plenty of animals survive outdoors, but I wish I could keep the old girl warmer. I bought her a warm oil space heater, but will only have it on when i'm home and awake.

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now it is so very cold in Ohio, I feel bad for locking Oriana in her room where the house's warm air doesn't circulate. Her room is in the low 60's, so I guess she is fine, since plenty of animals survive outdoors, but I wish I could keep the old girl warmer. I bought her a warm oil space heater, but will only have it on when i'm home and awake.
You might buy oriona a heating blanket as well to sleep on. Dolly really loves hers plus my thick plush blanket that she'll curl up in. I love hearing about your companions, don't they make life worth living? You could also put a dog sweater on her like I just did to my cats today . Idaho is pretty cold and windy right now. And our house is not the warmest .

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sweet boy Oscar, just passed away on Sunday Lost My Sweet Cat Oscar Today. . I let them see and smell his body, I'd heard that helps with dogs, but I don't know about cats. Molly and Mister have been very aggressive with each other today. Even tearing out each others fur. Mister and Oriana have been having a truce where they hiss at each other from different rooms, then just ignore one another. Molly still will not be on on the same floor as Oriana. I just got a new job that will allow me to be at home 15 days a month, so I hope to be able to farther their supervised interactions.

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sweet boy Oscar, just passed away on Sunday Lost My Sweet Cat Oscar Today. . I let them see and smell his body, I'd heard that helps with dogs, but I don't know about cats. Molly and Mister have been very aggressive with each other today. Even tearing out each others fur. Mister and Oriana have been having a truce where they hiss at each other from different rooms, then just ignore one another. Molly still will not be on on the same floor as Oriana. I just got a new job that will allow me to be at home 15 days a month, so I hope to be able to farther their supervised interactions.
First let me say say how very shocked and saddened I was to hear about sweet Oscar going over the rainbow bridge tonight. Xoxox to you hun. What a tremendous shock your family members are going threw right now and nothing I or anyone else in the world can ease that pain. But we are here if you want to just poured your heart aches out for your precious baby boy. With all our love and deepest sympathies melodee and dolly

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've decided this thread will stay on it's original intent, and not on my grief. Since Oscar, the most aggressive, is no longer with us, I have been just really letting my other cats move around the house as they want. Oriana came downstairs, and I closed the door to the upstairs. Molly and Oriana spent about 4 hours at literally the farthest points of the first floor. I struggle to see how any of my cats ever survived on their own outside because they literally don't recognize another cat until they are both in my lap, then they get angry. Oriana spent awhile exploring the downstairs then just laid down on my inside back door rug and refused to move. I left her there complaining for another hour before letting her back upstairs to her safe room. I plan to do this every day that i am off, until they all get over being pissed at each other.

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've decided this thread will stay on it's original intent, and not on my grief. Since Oscar, the most aggressive, is no longer with us, I have been just really letting my other cats move around the house as they want. Oriana came downstairs, and I closed the door to the upstairs. Molly and Oriana spent about 4 hours at literally the farthest points of the first floor. I struggle to see how any of my cats ever survived on their own outside because they literally don't recognize another cat until they are both in my lap, then they get angry. Oriana spent awhile exploring the downstairs then just laid down on my inside back door rug and refused to move. I left her there complaining for another hour before letting her back upstairs to her safe room. I plan to do this every day that i am off, until they all get over being pissed at each other.
I'm so glad you are staying with us on here, we all care about you guys .I hope that you get better as time goes by. Give our love to your companions. And give them time, they are dealing with another big upset in the household. It just takes A lot of time and patients. With love, all of us in my household

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm glad you've decided to keep updating their progress. Hopefully, eventually, you'll post a pic of snuggling kitty buddies. :catrub: But until then, we'll be here reading, and supporting you. :hugs:

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today Mister just casually walked into Orianas room, and for some reason she went crazy. I don't think I have to worry about her not having claws anymore. she put him in his place easily

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is that a good thing?
I think so, she chased him down the stairs and he moved faster than i have ever seen him move. Even without claws, she can fend for herself, my biggest worry. It's not getting along, but at least Oriana is not going to be bullied.

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think so, she chased him down the stairs and he moved faster than i have ever seen him move. Even without claws, she can fend for herself, my biggest worry. It's not getting along, but at least Oriana is not going to be bullied.
You haven't talked about Molly is she doing ok? My son's cat cat that he had when he was little that was declawed used to box. My son taught him. I'm glad she's sticks up for herself .

Status
Not open for further replies.