Introduced kitten to resident cat yesterday.....it’s going poorly

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I've observed and read, a cat that is really stressed by another cat is always stressed by that cat, and assumes a kind of hyper vigilance, meaning they are always on guard duty for the other cat. For example, I used to give one cat stressed by a young housemate cat a break in my room for closed door petting. Door closed without the other cat was literally the only way he could relax a bit and purr. Door open, he had to be on guard! However, even with the door closed, any noise, any noise at all, and he would jump off my chest or lap and scratch me up. The stress never left him. Your cat relaxing with the other younger cat and even voluntarily playing sometimes? That isn't consistent with a cat that is stressed all the time.

If I'm right, and your cat is only stressed during actual rough play, even if it is a lot, is that enough to cause the cysts? I'm no vet, I don't know, but stress *only* when the younger cat is actively being a PITA is just (usually!) a vastly better thing than cats stressed all the time that are in constant hyper-vigilance. At the very least, cyst-caused stress is an unusual reaction to this level of stress, and at worst the vet may be blaiming stress when it isn't the issue.

Anyway, I'm not sure this changes things, but I do think its useful for you to understand and keep in mind.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a cystitis is a bladder infection ... many doc will call it a UTI
Ah I didn't know that. Still seems a bit strange to attribute that to stress if the cat is only stressed when the younger cat is actively jumping on him. That was my main point -- if the older cat is actually willing to play with the younger sometimes, and seems chill when the younger cat is chill, then I don't know that the stress is bad enough to be any kind of problem. Certainly, many older cats are stressed close to all the time for months by younger cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarabismom

Sarabi & Augustus 🥰
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to smile about the calming treats ... I raised two siamese girls that were and still are high energy cats ... and seriously ... the only thing tat worked was ... play time - most cats do not like the cat wheel but most like to play with things like Dabird ... I get them panting lol. Make the throw line on Dabird longer of you have the space ... and throw this thing around the room, onto the cat tree , under the couch , high jumps ... for maximum run time. Not getting exercise makes my girls pesky ... it really helps ...and I feel guilty about every additional foster we kept ... it will get easier ... a safe space is a blessing for those calmer, more anxious cats ( and with them too ... play helps ) ... there is something about the endorphins after a good hunt.... they cats that bird ... and ... you can feel them relax hahaha
so many people have recommended DaBird! I’m definitely going to have to try it. Our apartment is small but we just to make it enriching. Looks like Chewy.com will be getting more of my money in the near future lol!

Sarabismom

Sarabi & Augustus 🥰
Young Cat
Purraise
From what I've observed and read, a cat that is really stressed by another cat is always stressed by that cat, and assumes a kind of hyper vigilance, meaning they are always on guard duty for the other cat. For example, I used to give one cat stressed by a young housemate cat a break in my room for closed door petting. Door closed without the other cat was literally the only way he could relax a bit and purr. Door open, he had to be on guard! However, even with the door closed, any noise, any noise at all, and he would jump off my chest or lap and scratch me up. The stress never left him. Your cat relaxing with the other younger cat and even voluntarily playing sometimes? That isn't consistent with a cat that is stressed all the time.

If I'm right, and your cat is only stressed during actual rough play, even if it is a lot, is that enough to cause the cysts? I'm no vet, I don't know, but stress *only* when the younger cat is actively being a PITA is just (usually!) a vastly better thing than cats stressed all the time that are in constant hyper-vigilance. At the very least, cyst-caused stress is an unusual reaction to this level of stress, and at worst the vet may be blaiming stress when it isn't the issue.

Anyway, I'm not sure this changes things, but I do think its useful for you to understand and keep in mind.
Thank you for that outlook! You’re right, she does relax when he is chilling and she doesn’t run every time she hears him coming. We have been vigilant with distracting him from her when he gets the crazies and he is starting to kind of get the picture. He wasn’t taught any manners because he was a bottle baby so we doing our best to play the mother cat role and keep him in check.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is 7 months. We actually had him neutered about 6 weeks ago.
Oh, I was thinking he was older, but he's still a kitten, so still loaded with energy. Eventually he'll calm down, but probably not for months yet. At least he's neutered, but at his young age, there probably won't be any change in behaviour.

Sorry that Sarabi is having stress related issues. Sending healing vibes that she feels better soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Sarabismom

Sarabi & Augustus 🥰
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I was thinking he was older, but he's still a kitten, so still loaded with energy. Eventually he'll calm down, but probably not for months yet. At least he's neutered, but at his young age, there probably won't be any change in behaviour.

Sorry that Sarabi is having stress related issues. Sending healing vibes that she feels better soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you! We have both been really proactive with playtime for both kitties. Sarabi was feeling well enough to play yesterday and had a little bit of the zoomies. However, she still peed on the floor last night...soooo I'm not sure what that's about but it looks like for now I'll be getting a third litter box. Looking into pellet litter to see if that helps at all -- we use arm and hammer in one box, dr elsey's cat attract (mixed with the arm and hammer so it clumps better) in another and maybe a pellet or crystal litter? My older boy at my parents house like the Tidy Cats natural so maybe I'll give that a go as well

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cats love the wood based litter from Oko cat ... ( not the pelleted but the either regular or lightweight/soft) ... I had a lot of fosters and they all took to the wood litter - especially the soft/lightweight immediately - bio degradable and no scents - I am deathly allergic to all kids of bentonite litters and also corn/wheat based...

Sarabismom

Sarabi & Augustus 🥰
Young Cat
Purraise

Sarabismom

Sarabi & Augustus 🥰
Young Cat
Purraise
my cats love the wood based litter from Oko cat ... ( not the pelleted but the either regular or lightweight/soft) ... I had a lot of fosters and they all took to the wood litter - especially the soft/lightweight immediately - bio degradable and no scents - I am deathly allergic to all kids of bentonite litters and also corn/wheat based...
Hmmm I may try that! How does it clump and how does it do with the smell?

Sarabismom

Sarabi & Augustus 🥰
Young Cat
Purraise
8DC37679-F6CD-43F2-8170-3D1897D433F7.jpeg

8 months later and they can hang out on the back of the couch together without fighting.❤
Sarabi is better and has been monitored very closely. She gets a couple supplements each day and they’ve helped immensely. We also make sure she feels safe and doesn’t get overwhelmed.

Thank you to everyone here for all their help and supoort