introduce kitten to 2 adult female cats

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Next week I'm taking a kitten in a relative found, in the past few months while caring for family out of state. This kitten Might have gotten Separated from his Litter in a rain storm. He was found frightened out of his mind on a flooding street corner.
Maybe Accidentally separated from his
Litter in the thunder storm. It Was, A bad storm With thunder, Lightning, flooding.The corner he was on was rapidly flooding and he was just there crying and almost drowning. At first he/she was tiny, couldn't poop on his Own, was in the process of being weened maybe. needed it's stomach and butt rubbed to poop, but has gone from a bottle to mash, to dry with chicken broth in about a month. Took to the litter box the second day.
They called me because although they wanted to care for and help the cat, they can't keep it, they already have 3 pit bulls!
I have two female cats, not related, adopted last summer. One is 9, one is 3. Both have kidney disease. have 3 and half cat trees and 5 litter boxes( they pee a lot, and vary favorite certain different boxes, spots). The cats don't love each other, but get along ok, usually, will even sleep on same bed together so sometimes.
I have a full time job and leave for at least 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. The cats only have me, besides work I'm a homebody. Have a small empty spare room for the kitten. A small cat tree (unless bad idea). Want to know what else I should provide for the kitten before it comes. What kind of litter should I get? Right now my cats are using unscented paper pellets, would that be ok ? A small box for a bed?
How should I go about introducing them when time comes?
The kitten will be taken to a vet to be tested. as soon as possible.
Any tips? I've never had a kitten before. Always preferred the older cats. Never had 3 cats either.
What can I do to help this kitten grow up to be a healthy old cat?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are thinking entirely right, and your plans are good.  

Main thing, if they dont get pals at once, so they can at least coexist peacefully, as there is room and places enough for everyone to get its own share.   Also somewhat 3D  thinking, with these scratching / climing treees.

A kitten is usually easier to adopt for such "wanna be left alone" than another adult.   With a little luck, the females may even take on them some sort of  aunt role.  Lets hope so, because the joy, AND the trouble with young kittens is, they wanna play.  Play a lot...

So begin the introductions with the younger of the residents.   The chance is good she will be willing to play along.    BUT be also very loving to the residents, especielly the older one...

The kitten will be new, he will be happy to get some attention from you.  If you fuss too much with him, the residents will get jealaous, and give him problems...

So give him love when thye dont see it, but when they are all together, show the residents they are not out of the picture, they are still  your loved residents...

If you think there may be problems, install a Feliway diffuser   (they arent cheap if you you buy in a pet shop, they are cheaper on Amazon or  Ebay).

Lets hope others will fill in.

I myself will probably get more thoughts...

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you StefanZ StefanZ for input. Will be cautious with causing jealousy. The feliway may be necessary. Really hope the older ones will be like aunts to kitten. I know toys broke the ice with the two girls when they first met. Happen to have a pretty nice toy collection from my last cat had for 10 years. Sorry for my bad writing, thank you for your patience, and reply.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I should add, there are days at work I'm gone almost whole day over 12 hours, not every day, but some days. Should I leave this kitten with the cats all the time? Or should I keep it in it's own room for a while? Mention this because a few people told me I'm not home enough for a kitten.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The only way to know is to supervise the cats together when you are home over the weekend. The kitten is adorable, by the way. The sooner you can allow them all together, the better for the kitten, as it will be very lonely closed up in a room all day alone, even with toys.

I would also make sure the kitten has a good hiding place, like in a closet or under a bed, in case it feels threatened when you are not there. I would suggest giving the kitten its own litter and food/water in the spare room too.

Even if you leave the door cracked, the kitten needs to feel that this room is its safe haven. I hope everyone adjusts quickly and easily. Some cats are laid back about a new resident, and some will hiss and try to bully. Good luck!

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The only way to know is to supervise the cats together when you are home over the weekend. The kitten is adorable, by the way. The sooner you can allow them all together, the better for the kitten, as it will be very lonely closed up in a room all day alone, even with toys.

I would also make sure the kitten has a good hiding place, like in a closet or under a bed, in case it feels threatened when you are not there. I would suggest giving the kitten its own litter and food/water in the spare room too.

Even if you leave the door cracked, the kitten needs to feel that this room is its safe haven. I hope everyone adjusts quickly and easily. Some cats are laid back about a new resident, and some will hiss and try to bully. Good luck!
The optimal is, the emergency hiding place is where the fullgrown cats dont manage to get in.  This way the kitten is completely safe, if there should arise a need for it to run and hide for real, an not just as part of play...

Make of course others more easily accessible hiding places, like a cat igloo in its safe room.
I should add, there are days at work I'm gone almost whole day over 12 hours, not every day, but some days. Should I leave this kitten with the cats all the time? Or should I keep it in it's own room for a while? Mention this because a few people told me I'm not home enough for a kitten.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 and StefanZ StefanZ thank you for help. Will see what I can do, not really sure what only a the kitten could use to hide. I'm worried about the kittens safety. Would like to find something. Sometimes my adult cats fight, hope they don't turn on kitten. kept my adult girls separated for months while I was at work until I as certain they would tolerate each other. Maybe I can fix a box to have a really small hole. At the same time, wonder if the cats would take care of it and teach it stuff.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
@sarthur2 and @StefanZ thank you for help. Will see what I can do, not really sure what only a the kitten could use to hide. I'm worried about the kittens safety. Would like to find something. Sometimes my adult cats fight, hope they don't turn on kitten. kept my adult girls separated for months while I was at work until I as certain they would tolerate each other. Maybe I can fix a box to have a really small hole. At the same time, wonder if the cats would take care of it and teach it stuff.
Sounds like an excellent idea!

Yes, be friends with a kitten is often easier than be friends with another adult, ie they do accept young kittens easier,  so I really think it should be OK soon enough.

But you and we want to play it safe, of course.   :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, adult cats will often bond more quickly with a kitten, and may become protective or playful with it.

I have four 3-month-old kittens. One got caught behind the couch. Another climbed into the TV stand. I heard mewing and found the kitten stuck inside a drawer in the stand that I had no clue she could even get into. They have knocked books off the lower shelves, and now are jumping up on absolutely everything. I find the food and water bowls knocked over frequently. You will quickly find out what kittens do! Good luck! :)

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@ StefanZ StefanZ thanx, glad kittens are easier to get along. Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I'm sure the kitten will freak me out plenty. Worry enough about the adult cats. Doing best to kitten proof the place. sure the kitten will find a way to get itself into trouble in some other way I never thought of. This is one reason why I prefer the older cats. Luckily my oldest plays like a kitten herself. I adopted her because I was playing with the cats and she just played better than everyone, it's like she could win an expert playful cat award. Although was afraid to take an older cat, had to get her out of there. My other cat had just died and left her box of toys and they needed to be played with again.