Intriguing behavior

Drdr88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone. So this is what mah boi Titan has been doing pretty much all his life but increasingly so when he's a little agitated:

He likes it when I'm short, not tall...so I get on my knees to greet him as often as possible. When I do this, he head bumps me in my kneeled position several times, sometimes with a nip. But when I'm standing, he'll often back away from me, like a vehicle backing up in reverse (minus the reverse signal). In those moments, he seems to want me to chase or follow him. But when kneeling, it's always playful affection.

His mannerisms are interesting when I'm kneeling close to him, because he instinctively becomes attracted to the position I'm in, no matter what his mood is. It almost never fails. Kneeling always brings him closer to me.

Anyone have any thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Drdr88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When he's backing away from me while I'm standing, he seems to want me to chase or follow him... or at worst he's acrimonious about it. Which has been increasingly happening lately (since he escaped from the harness).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Drdr88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I wonder... how can a cat simultaneously be acrimonious while I'm standing, and immediately affectionate and playful when I'm kneeling.... within seconds of each other.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a fear thing. People are very tall to cats so that can be overwhelming and scary to some. I have a cat who will run or back away fast when my dad is wearing boots on. Just the loud thud scares him for some reason. When the boots are off he's completely happy and normal.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have lived with Hekitty since May of 2018. She has never had a hand lifted to her, or been approached in anger. Rarely has she heard a raised voice. She rules my house with an iron paw. And she will STILL shy away if I walk up to her quickly...sometimes even slowly. Think of it this way...imagine you're being approached by a person who is 36 feet tall. Even if you KNOW they are friendly, it's a bit nervous-making.