International Move and older local cat

Rogue5_jm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

I am an American that has been living in Iceland for almost 3 years. I have adopted 3 cats during my time here. A bit over two years ago I took in a 6 year old Bengal (Dímma) and her adopted brother, a 5 year old European shorthair (Sólon). They have been exclusively indoor cats for almost all of their lives.

Last September I added an "Office cat" (Pallí) that sounds to have been an outdoor cat that kept with an office building. He was being evicted after the building's new owner didn't want cats to be allowed in. I was told he is ~15 years old, he is missing most of his teeth, and has a slightly raspy breath sometimes. A vet visit didn't reveal anything of great concern beyond that. He has occasional small bouts with the other two (never a full out fight, one will bat at the other once or twice and then they'll go their separate ways for a while). He's adjusted well enough to indoor life, it only took a week or two to get him to reliably use a litter box, but he'll still often beg to be let outside. I did not allow it for a couple months because I wanted to be more sure that this was a home to him, but then let him out roughly once a week or so. He usually returns within an hour.

I'm moving back to the US in the next month. I have an apartment picked out that will allow 2 pets, +1 ESA which I can get the paperwork for. I will be taking Dímma and Sólon with me. I've been acting other the assumption that I will also be taking Pallí with me, but my conscience has been nagging at me about it. He would be the ESA, as he's the only one that is ok with being held for any length of time. I've been letting him out more often (Every other day) because I want him to experience his country's outdoors more while he still can. I've felt bad about cooping him up in an apartment in a completely foreign environment where I can't let him out. Their health screenings will be in a couple weeks. I'm not really worried about the logistics, I've just really started to wonder if I'm doing right by him to drag him along. A few people have asked why I wouldn't just euthanize him because of his age (omg, I can't imagine the thought), but a couple others have offered to help find him a good home here.

Am I overthinking this? Should I not risk him having trouble with the travel? He seems rather hardy and chill in almost any situation. Am I being too sentimental? My current trajectory is still taking all three with me, but I also want to do right by him.

I'd appreciate any insight.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is only my personal opinion - shaded by the fact that I have a 16+ yo and am terribly sentimental about older cats. But, if you think he can handle the trip, I think you should take him with you. He sounds like he is happy with you and there is not really enough time left between now and when you leave to re-home him and be able to ensure his continued happiness elsewhere. He seems to have 'adopted' you and I am guessing he would prefer it stays that way, even if it means going to a new home.

Perhaps, the apartment you are moving to has a balcony or other outdoor space that you could create a catio/cat enclosure for him to still be able to enjoy some outdoor time, or possibly a cat window box. If not that, there are hundreds of options to create window perches on the inside of a window. Any of this, of course, depends on what the apartment complex will permit.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think you should take him. In my experience with rescuing ferals, I have had, more often than not, the shocking revelation that the cat I assumed would want to be able to still live at large was the one who was most appreciative of having an indoor only home. And I mean it has happened with some very unlikely characters including one, 25 years ago to the day, that I trapped as I was moving (literally) and the truck was already loaded with my belongings.

15+ no teeth raspy breath.....I think he needs some TLC with you for whatever the remainder of his days are. Finding a good home for him in Iceland sounds logical, but in my experience those good homes often mean some food put outside or some occasional attention even from well meaning people. Plus, I think that the euthanasia card is on the table for him....keep him a few months, he's had some good innings, that's it. Short term commitment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rogue5_jm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That makes me feel a bit better. I'll take him with me and give an update in May after we've spent some time in the new apartment. I'm hoping the humid air will help him out a bit. I'll make sure the rest of his "retirement" is a good time.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also think it's best to take him with you but I guess cats have to be sedated to fly. If that is the case, sedative medication may be dangerous, it's best to consult a vet to make sure. Good luck

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Add me to the list with the above members who think you should take him with you. You sound like a very compassionate and responsible cat person. If you leave him behind you will always wonder what happened to him and if his new home is giving him the attention you feel he deserves. I'm sure he will be a happy boy to go with you to your new home. :catlove: Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rogue5_jm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One month later update:

He's doing great, came off the airplane looking completely nonchalant, where the other two were much more anxious. There's been a bit of friction w/ the other two now that they're somewhere that territories hadn't been set yet, but tThat's mostly resolved at this point, with just a bit of occasional swatting when one surprises the other. He's having a bit of trouble readjusting to not going outside, he's holding his messes in way too long, but I at least think I've found US food/litter they like, so hopefully that'll settle soon. That being said, he and the other cats love the nature in the area. It's a lot more dynamic than it was back in Iceland, more birds making sound and movement. I still haven't visited a vet here yet, but he hasn't had a coughing fit since the move and is being very affectionate. I think I made the right choice in bringing them all.

Thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate it :D