Intermittent throwing up

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has had tummy issues since I adopted him over a year ago.   He's on Laxatone three times a day and Lactulose twice a day.  Pumpkin had a checkup in early February which he passed with flying colors.

Since then he's been throwing up off and on.  The last time was a couple of weeks ago, but he acted good after that - has been pooping and peeing ok and very active.  Loves to play.

I had to get up at 5 to use the bathroom and I cut through the bedroom to get to it.  I found a small pile of digested kitty food on the floor with Pumpkin sitting nearby.  It looked like he'd been eating too much, too fast,which he's done in the past.  Pumpkin will throw up if he eats too quickly, like my great-Aunt's cat used to do.

He's acting fine now. In fact, he's at his supper dish eating as I write this.

Should I take him to the vets?   I can go if need be, but he hates riding in cars and gets very upset.  If this is a matter of him eating too much too fast, how do I get Pumpkin to slow down when he eats?

Thoughts?  I want him to be ok.  When he got weighed in February the vet told me he lost a pound, but he was considered to be overweight before that.  He previously weighed in at just over 14 pounds.  Now he's about 13 pounds.   He's about 4-5 years old.

Thanks.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My cat has had tummy issues since I adopted him over a year ago.   He's on Laxatone three times a day and Lactulose twice a day.  Pumpkin had a checkup in early February which he passed with flying colors.

Since then he's been throwing up off and on.  The last time was a couple of weeks ago, but he acted good after that - has been pooping and peeing ok and very active.  Loves to play.

I had to get up at 5 to use the bathroom and I cut through the bedroom to get to it.  I found a small pile of digested kitty food on the floor with Pumpkin sitting nearby.  It looked like he'd been eating too much, too fast,which he's done in the past.  Pumpkin will throw up if he eats too quickly, like my great-Aunt's cat used to do.

He's acting fine now. In fact, he's at his supper dish eating as I write this.

Should I take him to the vets?   I can go if need be, but he hates riding in cars and gets very upset.  If this is a matter of him eating too much too fast, how do I get Pumpkin to slow down when he eats?

Thoughts?  I want him to be ok.  When he got weighed in February the vet told me he lost a pound, but he was considered to be overweight before that.  He previously weighed in at just over 14 pounds.  Now he's about 13 pounds.   He's about 4-5 years old.

Thanks.
Hi there,

Depending on what you are feeding, it could be that he is eating too fast or that the food is not agreeing with him. 

How long has he been on the lactulose and how much does he get? If this is not an eating-too-fast issue, one other possibility is that the lactulose might not be agreeing with him.

If he is eating too fast, a couple of tricks would be to change his food bowl for something wider and less deep than a bowl so that the food spreads out more making it harder for him to gobble up the food. Also, elevating his food dish on something solid so that it is up from the floor, will also make it more challenging for him to eat too fast.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hi there,

Depending on what you are feeding, it could be that he is eating too fast or that the food is not agreeing with him. 

How long has he been on the lactulose and how much does he get? If this is not an eating-too-fast issue, one other possibility is that the lactulose might not be agreeing with him.

If he is eating too fast, a couple of tricks would be to change his food bowl for something wider and less deep than a bowl so that the food spreads out more making it harder for him to gobble up the food. Also, elevating his food dish on something solid so that it is up from the floor, will also make it more challenging for him to eat too fast.
Hi!

Pumpkin gets three kinds of dry food - one that is good for urinary tract health, one for indoor kitties and helps with digestion and Meow Mix regular, which he adores.  I mix it in with the others.  He won't touch wet food no matter what I offer him.  Nor turkey, chicken or beef.   He's very fussy and I have to feed him what he will eat.

The vet suggested mixing water in his dry food and Pumpkin likes it.  So he has the dry food and his "soup."  I periodically tempt him with wet food but so far he hasn't budged.

I have a food dish holder that is elevated.....will go back to using that even though the bowls are smaller.  

Thanks!  :)

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given that you are feeding three different kinds of dry food, this could be what is contributing to the vomiting, especially if you have recently added one of the dry foods. When transitioning or adding a dry food, it is important to do this slowly and in small amounts to start. Too much, too soon can cause vomiting, diarrhea, gas and bloating. Just something else to consider.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some cats, they just can't handle dry food and regurgitate it.

Also, I don't know exactly what you are feeding. But if you are feeding, for example, Purina One Urinary Tract Formula, Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula and Meow Mix, well, quite honestly...they are not good foods. Your kitty could have a food intolerance to all the grains and/or carbs that are used in these foods. I would suggest feeding a better quality, grain-free food. But like @oneandahalfcats said, you have to do the transition slowly with dry food. Seriously, though...an all-dry diet is not good for your kitty, ESPECIALLY because he is male. Check out this member's recent "testimony": Dry cat food warning!

I had a kibble addict, and it took me two years to get him to eat a decent rotation of wet foods. I tried A LOT of foods...probably every canned food out there. But I was determined and I stuck with it. I kept offering it.

If you want your kitty to get better and stop vomiting, then you just have to be willing to figure this out and ready to make some changes.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long have you been feeding all three?  Which did you add last and was he throwing up prior to adding the last?  I'm thinking this is directly related to the food.  It could even be the grains.  Keep a food diary of what you feed and if you notice any vomiting.  It may take a couple of weeks before you see any change, but I'd start with only one food and see what happens.  Do that for a couple of weeks.  If there's no vomiting, add a second food and see what happens.  Repeat until you find the culprit.  You might also consider changing, gradually, to an all grain-free diet.