interior concrete floors

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
anybody here has them in their house or done one? our house is pretty small and the bedroom & living room are the only rooms with carpet, which is 12 years old. we have 10 cats and my 16+ year old has mostly used puppy pads to pee on since we moved in 12 years ago. that and all the hairballs pretty much ruined it. i finally talked hubby in to getting rid of it. i put the peel-off tiles in the 2nd bedroom a few month ago, that's where the computer and all my books are etc and the cats don't go in there much and it turned out really nice.

hubby doesn't want to pay for a new floor if it's going to get ruined again in a year.

whatever we decide on it's going to be a DIY project which means i'll be doing it. i get worried if hubby asks me for a screwdriver. i painted the whole exterior of our house in spring, took me 5 weeks and he said why would you want to do this when you can pay somebody?

it seems like there's endless ideas re: the cement floor. i've read that cement floors can also be sealed so that pee, oil, grease etc can't even penetrate it and the clean-up is really easy. any hints or tips or info are welcome. thanks, Connie 

kimkats000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It really depends on what your floor is made of now.  Are you on a slab or raised foundation? IF It is a slab you are good to go.  You can acid sketch and seal.  You can polish to a high shine.  SO many things you can do.  I  would NOT paint though.  It can/will come up and be next to impossible  to get the rest of it up without a LOT of work.

If you are on a raised foundation (wood) you cannot do it.  It WILL crack! 

Good luck with what ever you pick!

Kim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i'm on a slab. i was thinking of going the staining route too. the hard part is convincing hubby to let me do it. he's saying well if it's so easy why isn't everybody doing it.

kimkats000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I LOVE carpet-soft and cuts down on the echo as we have a huge living area (bedrooms are tiny to make up for it LOL).  THAT is why I did not do it.

Oh think of just how easy it would be to clean once you seal it!  Wipe and go!  Or course you will have have any thing to clean once you do it.  

We did put in tile in the kitchen and breakfast room and I am loving the little stick vac. I got for it.  SO easy and does a great job !  I got it at Wal-mart for around $20 or so.  NO more sweeping for me!  

Good luck to you!

Kim 

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm considering doing that in one of our rooms in the house. 

The carpet in our den is a mess.  When my mom moved last year, we got one of the rugs that her and my dad bought years ago.  Very pretty antique oriental.  We've nicknamed it "Mega-rug", the darn thing takes up the whole room (and is rolled up b/c it kind of doesn't fit).  So it covers up the nasty rug. 

And I'd leave it at that if we didn't have Jasper.  He's decided that 2 spots by the door are his absolute favorite place to spray.  Sigh.  And yes- I have done EVERYTHING.  Spent a small fortune on Feliaway diffuser refills. I now have "Nature's Miracle Just for Cats Urine Destroyer".  And I've gone through half a bottle.  He probably needs a vet visit- he's 11, has lost some weight and I think there's a medical issue going on (but the spraying was there before he got sick- he's just a very high-strung kitty).  But that's beside the point- the carpet where he's sprayed is ruined anyways.  And I'm not sure if I want to spend the cash to put Pergo down when more than half the floor is going to be covered up by a rug anyways. 

I know we'd have to seal the floor.  We're on a slab, and if moisture from the ground came up it could ruin the oriental carpet.  At least I think sealing and staining it would make it ok to put "mega-rug" over it

Good Luck!

Cheryl