Interferon, Sub-Q & Arrthymia in FiV cat?

movinintime

TCS Member
Thread starter
Alpha Cat
Joined
Jun 9, 2019
Messages
364
Purraise
636
Hi, Our boy was given a SubQ fluids, 2x on our long drive & then was found by 2nd vet to have slight murmer & "funky heart beat" aka arrythmia. Vet limited SubQ then to 100ml only as not to risk congestive heart fail. I got his Interferon Alpha B2 yesterday but called 1st vet (who scripted it a month ago) to ask if ok to use it as 1st vet didn't know re the heart arrythmia yet. He said no known worry re starting the Interferon asap despite the slight murmer/arrythmia & so will do so tonite in next meal he gets. Just don't want to hurt our FiV boy by "trial" experiment now afterall this waiting, & after going thru soo much to even get it shipped finally after many wks of delay??

The efficacy proof remains low using Interferon on a different virus like FiV than in FIP in cats -- which it HAS shown good effects on, but vet said it can't hurt or only do maybe a little or help a bit or maybe alot. I just don't want to hurt him being my 'lab rat' aka 'experiment'. Anyone?
 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Joined
Aug 13, 2009
Messages
14,113
Purraise
4,040
Location
Arizona
Well, this is a hard one. Interferon can cause arrythmia (which I'm guessing you already read), so the question is, how much could it help with the FIP? And that is the unknown. Are any of his Vets a cardiologist at this point? I guess to make an informed decision, you might want to see one. Or wait until you see how he does with the reduced amount of sub-qs. Or if you trust the Vet that said it should be fine, then go with that.

Decisions, decisions. In the end, of course, it's got to be your decision. You could always ask all the Vets involved "if it were your cat, what would YOU do" and see if they'll give you a straight answer.
 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Joined
Oct 16, 2015
Messages
25,267
Purraise
42,361
Location
Havelock, North Carolina
That question is the one that I always ask for important decisions, and I get honest answers (I'm blessed in my vets). The second question I ask is, "Why would you choose this?" That can also be very telling.

I do wonder if the two vets could confer on this? It's worth asking about.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4

movinintime

TCS Member
Thread starter
Alpha Cat
Joined
Jun 9, 2019
Messages
364
Purraise
636
Well TY:)

No, NO CARDIOLOGIST yet involved!

You see the man vet he 1st saw (knew he is FIV positive -- but... he is NOT FIP -- thus this Interferon is NOT indicated for FIV really but rather ONLY seen effective in FIP not my cat's FIV but 'its worth a try', said this 1st all-cat, man vet back in Feb). He then had an internal medicine vet in his same practice, who then actually wrote the script for Interferon but again this was NOT my all-cat vet himself -- as he referred it out to his Internal Medicine DVM re Interferon & its use, etc.

Maybe I pushed him/them into it?? So anyway, then a couple wks ago (before ever getting the Interferon even as of yesterday -- but... just TODAY got it... as it need be kept cold & was UPS cold pak shipped to me overnite) the 2nd lady vet saw him on the trip & said he's dehyradted due to kidney probs & who then told me she'd SubQ'd him BUT -- for 100ml's ONLY! -- as SHE was who found his murmer AND his arrythmia just 2 wks ago!

I then asap sent this lady vet's findings BACK to original all-cat man vet prescribing the Interferon & he today, told me to go ahead w/ giving it. But you BOTH bring up a great point. What would these 2 vets think if its their cat?? Now I'm REALLY confused!

I will try to call back to BOTH (lady & man vet's) w/ remember again -- the 1st vet office writing the Interferon even PRIOR to the ARRYTHMIA FINDING AND now... the 2nd (lady) vet -- who did the Sub-Q & FOUND HIS ARRYTHMIA -- as she needs to talk to the 1st man vet re this Interferon & NOW due to his NEWLY FOUND heart condition -- as SHE found the arrythmia & now I'm unsure if 1st man vet EVEN clearly KNOWS the arrythmia is even found???

This all comes today as, his email to me today said 'the MURMER is ok & thus no worry re Interferon use' -- but -- NO mention or reference even AT ALL to the ARRYTHMIA & if THIS is a contraindication to Interferon use???

Uh oh. I gave him a dose tonite already but will hold off then, til I hear back from the BOTH man & lady vet collaboration, if they can talk re his Arrythmia & if IT IS IN FACT -- contra-indicated in this cat?? -- due to this NEWLY FOUND heart condition?? Wow NOW I'm stressed. :(
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6

movinintime

TCS Member
Thread starter
Alpha Cat
Joined
Jun 9, 2019
Messages
364
Purraise
636
Thank you so much!

Am holding off til both vets collaborate. Spoke to both offices this morn & await callbacks -- before I do ANYTHING. Don't want to jeopardize him in any way.
 
Top