denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Y'know, I was thinking that COVID-19 sounded a lot like feline coronavirus/FIP: most cats have no symptoms, some get a mild illness, but it's fatal for a small percentage and we don't know why.

I hope it becomes more readily available. It doesn't necessarily have to be licensed for cat use---many meds used for cats aren't actually licensed for cats, but it's not illegal to use them off-label.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think once they find the right antiviral or combination of antivirals to take care of one of these coronavirus the rest will be found shortly after. It is a matter of finding that first one or combination. Science is a slow methodical process with a lot of misses along the way but I believe these coronavirus will be beat.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow the Atlantic, that’s big! Hopefully it will reach a lot of people.

GS441524 saved my cat’s life - I really was not prepared for how quickly it can work in the beginning, and giving my sad dying 3 lb kitten a shot late one night and then waking up to him meowing at me for food for the first time ever in his life was truly amazing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think once they find the right antiviral or combination of antivirals to take care of one of these coronavirus the rest will be found shortly after. It is a matter of finding that first one or combination. Science is a slow methodical process with a lot of misses along the way but I believe these coronavirus will be beat.
*From your keyboard, denice denice ...!*

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Through the Facebook group mentioned in the article, FIP Warriors. Someone in the group lived near me and brought me some vials to start and then after that the admins helped us get more.
That's fantastic! Is it really as expensive as the article claims? I think the article stated $5,000 to $7,000.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's fantastic! Is it really as expensive as the article claims? I think the article stated $5,000 to $7,000.
It really heavily depends on how much your cat weighs, what type of FIP they have, and which brand you buy - there are a few different manufacturers of the drug and some are a lot more expensive (the pill form costs way more). But yes it is expensive, I think we spent about $3500 on the meds in total. He weighed 3 lbs to start off so that made it less expensive (although by the end of treatment he was 10 lbs!)

The high cost really is terrible since it puts it out of reach for so many people, if my cat had neurological involvement with his FIP i would not have been able to treat him as it requires a higher dose. I’m very hopeful that as it becomes less niche the price gets lower, we were very early members of the group and already in the time since he finished there are lower cost meds available than what he used.

Here’s Juan’s before and after (click to make it bigger):
20972762-2DE3-405E-BE5C-ECC211AC0E16.jpeg

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really heavily depends on how much your cat weighs, what type of FIP they have, and which brand you buy - there are a few different manufacturers of the drug and some are a lot more expensive (the pill form costs way more). But yes it is expensive, I think we spent about $3500 on the meds in total. He weighed 3 lbs to start off so that made it less expensive (although by the end of treatment he was 10 lbs!)

The high cost really is terrible since it puts it out of reach for so many people, if my cat had neurological involvement with his FIP i would not have been able to treat him as it requires a higher dose. I’m very hopeful that as it becomes less niche the price gets lower, we were very early members of the group and already in the time since he finished there are lower cost meds available than what he used.

Here’s Juan’s before and after (click to make it bigger):
View attachment 334533
I'm so glad you were able to save Juan! This is really, really amazing. I just can't figure out why a pharmaceutical company won't manufacture this drug!

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you were able to save Juan! This is really, really amazing. I just can't figure out why a pharmaceutical company won't manufacture this drug!
It’s my understanding that around when the UC Davis research was completed, Gilead (who owns the patent for GS and remdesivir) saw remdesivir as a potential Ebola treatment (this was during the Ebola outbreak a few years ago) and was conducting clinical trials for it. Remdesivir and GS-441524 are very closely related, remdesivir is a prodrug of it and breaks down to GS in the body. Gilead was concerned that licensing the patent to GS-441524 someone else might interfere with their ability to sell remdesivir as a human drug, and they are not interested in making a veterinary drug. It’s extremely frustrating!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s my understanding that around when the UC Davis research was completed, Gilead (who owns the patent for GS and remdesivir) saw remdesivir as a potential Ebola treatment (this was during the Ebola outbreak a few years ago) and was conducting clinical trials for it. Remdesivir and GS-441524 are very closely related, remdesivir is a prodrug of it and breaks down to GS in the body. Gilead was concerned that licensing the patent to GS-441524 someone else might interfere with their ability to sell remdesivir as a human drug, and they are not interested in making a veterinary drug. It’s extremely frustrating!
So they're sacrificing feline lives for the money. Because that's always the bottom line with the pharmaceutical empire.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So they're sacrificing feline lives for the money. Because that's always the bottom line with the pharmaceutical empire.
Yes unfortunately there’s not a lot of money to be made in veterinary drugs, so the cats lose out. Before covid-19 the fear was that remdesivir would just languish forever in patent-limbo because it was not a good treatment for Ebola so they abandoned it, but now the fear is that if remdesivir is approved and can be prescribed off label to cats it will be even more unaffordable than the black market versions because it will be priced with the assumption that people’s insurance will cover most of the cost.

The silver lining is of course that there are cat loving chemists on the other side of the world who do not give a single crap about US intellectual property laws and it’s not a difficult molecule to synthesize. But of course it’s hardly a long term solution.

Sorry to ramble, I’ve just learned a lot from this experience!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes unfortunately there’s not a lot of money to be made in veterinary drugs, so the cats lose out. Before covid-19 the fear was that remdesivir would just languish forever in patent-limbo because it was not a good treatment for Ebola so they abandoned it, but now the fear is that if remdesivir is approved and can be prescribed off label to cats it will be even more unaffordable than the black market versions because it will be priced with the assumption that people’s insurance will cover most of the cost.

The silver lining is of course that there are cat loving chemists on the other side of the world who do not give a single crap about US intellectual property laws and it’s not a difficult molecule to synthesize. But of course it’s hardly a long term solution.

And you've taught me, too, so no apologies necessary!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, ironically it's China where you can get it for a relatively low cost. I found a site selling it and it mentioning that they get it from a supplier in China, but they also mentioned they make a living selling it so obviously they make a profit.

I'm pretty sure the only way any stateside company can get away with selling it (and there are several) is by labeling it for research use only, and not to be used for treatment of pets.