Interesting Looking Cat

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My dad sent me this picture of a cat he saw while caring for my grandpa up in the hills. I've never seen anything like it. Any ideas on pattern or possible ancestry? Is it just a particularly cool spotted tabby?

Edit: I forgot to mention that it has a short tail.

25332.png

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a Bengal! Ocicats have more round spots. though crossbreeding with both could produce a lot of interesting patterns. The short tail could be an accident or maybe even some inbreeding going on that produced both spots and shorter tail. He looks so purebred though, I can't believe he was just walking around!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where was your Dad?

It could be a wild cat in the region or it could be an exotic pet someone let out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's in California, and not in the kind of region I would expect purebreds in. My first thought was Savannah or Bengal, but I can't believe someone would just let it run around outside! My grandpa has mentioned the cat to me before (he thought it was a bobcat because it has a short tail :rolleyes3:) so this isn't the first time it's been outside. Even if it is forever lost there's plenty of small animals for it to hunt. Apparently, they're having a bit of a mouse problem at the moment so I imagine the kitty is going to clear that up and be on its way.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It could be a young bobcat in summer coat. They usually have a more ticked look but I found some pictures of them being more spotty.
Bobcats - Living with Wildlife | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife
Bobcat - Wikipedia

With the location and the shorter tail, that seems most likely. But, wow, he does look like an early-generation Savannah.
It doesn't have ear tufts though and the pattern just looks too neat to be a bobcat, even the variations that do predominantly have rosette patterns. The bobcats with rosettes just have a crowded mess of pattern, but the cat in the picture looks to have a nice swirl of rosettes, like it's trying to be a classic tabby. All bobcats also have black ears with a white patch in the middle, and the cat in the picture looks to have ears that start as a darker brown at the tip and fade to a lighter brown that matches the coat color.

I can hear my Mammology professor in my head right now and it's killing me. She would be saying "You know this. You memorized the process. What's the first question we ask ourselves?"

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is an unscrupulous Savannah breeder in California who sells 1st generation Savannah's saying they are later generation (or was, I heard they got shut down but who knows). Then the buyer winds up with more wild cat then they can handle. Sometimes the person will "release" the cat to the wild when they can't handle it. The problem being those cats have no fear of humans and don't always know how to survive. Just not a good combination.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That sounds very possible. People do have a habit of releasing cats into the hills when they don't want them anymore. On the bright side, there's a lady around there with 9 cats that are allowed to roam, so I'm assuming this means she leaves food outside. The kitty can snack from those food bowls if it fights its way through the other cats. On the downside, there are coyotes everywhere and a neighbor lets his dogs run loose which could easily kill a kitty. I'm just going to hope the kitty is still very in tune with its wild side and can take care of itself.

I found more breed options. The pixie-bob. Some of them have rosettes and look quite wild. Then there's the Serengeti cat, California Spangled, and Cheetoh. I never realized how many breeds have rosettes!

Thanks for your help everyone! If I get any more pictures of the kitty I'll post them!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A young bobcat may not have big ear tufts.

It could be a high-content savannah, who had a tail accident. But, IDK, Occam's Razor and all that.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Apparently, my dad has seen the cat daily since he's been up there but it never comes close to anyone. My grandpa claims it has a human, but my dad doesn't count any cat outdoors without a collar as having an owner. He said he'll send more pictures if he can.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No not bengal. Early Savannah or possibly a young bobcat if they have this look.

Savannahs are biggish so I expect it would slit up a coyote or two into shreds if adult.
But if attacking together three or more they have a sporting chance to get a meal.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here are some juvenile bobcats with summer coats for comparison. Their patterns all look distinctively...messier for lack of a better term.

juvie bobcat 4.jpg
juvie bobcat 3.jpg
juvie bobcat 2.jpg
juvie bobcat 1.jpg

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you look closely the tail is not short like a bobcat. It blends with the hind leg that is extended behind the cat
My dad said the tail is actually short. Where it looks like it continues with or behind the leg is where it ends. It's too bad we'll never know if it's genetic or if it was an injury. I can't believe such a stunning cat is just wandering around in the woods!

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just my :2cents: but the ears, length of the neck and body, plus the shape of the head looks nothing like a young bobcat. The amazing pattern on the cat doesn't really look like a bobcat either.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! What a striking cat! I think he does look like a Savannah! Do you know if there are any breeders in the area? That might give you an idea of where he may have escaped from.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow! What a striking cat! I think he does look like a Savannah! Do you know if there are any breeders in the area? That might give you an idea of where he may have escaped from.
There are Savannah breeders in the area in a broad sense (like a 2-3 hour, many mile radius). I don't remember exactly where he lives so I can't be sure how close any of them are. I did check some breeders out and one has pictures posted of taking their Savannahs on hikes in backpacks and on leashes. If the customers are encouraged to take their cats on hikes it's possible the cat escaped. One cattery says they mostly breed f6 and f7 but do produce a few f2 and f3. They partnered with a breeder in Montana to start producing f1. I checked out a couple random websites and there are a fair number of people (not catteries) selling cats they claim to be Savannahs. There's a breeder in Southern California that does f1 Savannahs and f1 bobcat hybrids. It doesn't seem like all the cats are particularly friendly, so if someone drove 5 (ish) hours just to buy an under-socialized kitty they could have ended up dumping it once it became the equivalent of a moody teenager. Another possibility is that a family fleeing from with wildfires came to the area to stay with friends/family and no longer had the usual precautions to keep a rambunctious kitty inside.