Interesting Bloodwork Results.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has had high calcium on his bloowork ... 3 different tests going back 7 or 8 years. It has been in the low 11 range (max normal is 10.9 I think). He had been eating Blue Buffalo sensitive stomach dry over that time period. He was switched to high quality canned and homemade 6 months ago. Bloodwork was done on Friday and his calcium is normal (9.8). His phosphorous had also been right on the edge of high normal and it was closer to the middle of the range as well with this test. There are a couple other borderline things that we have been watching that haven't changed much but thought it was interesting about the calcium (and phosphorous).

What I find interesting is that some of the Blue Buffalo dry kibble had POSSIBLY been linked to Hypercalcemia in dogs a few years back. There was some suggestion that the Vitamin D levels were too high in the food. It was country wide, but didn't seem like a lot of cases. At any rate, I just had a feeling that this bloodwork would come back with his calcium level being better. I don't want to link it to the food directly. But it had to have something to do with his diet.

Just thought that was worth sharing as a point of interest.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well...although I wouldn't want to link it directly to that food, either, it is almost certain that his diet change is a good thing for him! Congratulations on his improved blood work! Keep doing what you're doing there! It is working!