Interested In Russian Blue

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never bought a cat from a breeder before. My last cat someone handed her off to me at a gas station in the middle of a thunderstorm, I put her in my backseat, drove to PetSmart, and TaDa! I had a cat. But once Little Kitty goes back to my mom, I'd still like to have two cats, and I've always liked Russian blues. I've never bought a cat from a breeder before and I don't know what to look for.

What kind of testing should be done on that breed? What are they genetically prone to? How can I find a responsible breeder? And what is a reasonable price for a pet quality cat?

Thank you for any advice.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You can find a responsible breeder at cat shows. You can be sure these are reputable because they're the ones willing to spend the time and money to go to shows. Here's the CFA show calendar: Show Calendar

Russian Blues are generally a healthy breed, and price varies from breeder to breeder, you can expect something from about the $600-1000 range for a pet, but this includes vaccines and spay/neuter. If you don't have your heart set on a kitten, you can also get a retired show cat, who are less expensive, most of the breeders I know around $400, but maybe even less, at a show once I was offered a retired champion for $200, (which I turned down because of the mini mountain lion who is always best of show around here ;))