Integrating two new kittens to the household?

seekere71

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everybody. i just wanted to say thanks for all the helpful insights & info ive found here.

i have two 4yr old males, Lex & Blake. Lexis VERY playful(its like hes still a kitty), but Blake isnt. hes more of a loner. Lex is a lot like a Ringtail(playful, gregarious, the life of the party so to speak), whereas Blake is very much a Neiblung(though he isnt a purebreed hes every bit like the breed description). they get along fine but Lex tries to aggressively play with Blake & Blake just wont have it which leaves Lex very frustrated. for a while my gf & i have talked about getting Lex a playmate, which is what Blake was SUPPOSED to be but there wasnt enough time to really find out his personality type at the shelter. looking back my gf realized it was a snap decision & we probably shouldve adopted 1 of Lexs sibs instead, but we love Blake & they do get along save for his playfulness which Blake doesnt appreciate. 

now 4yrs later my gf rescues 4 kitties that were apparently born under our porch that weve since started fostering. luckily our 1st two cats stay in our detached garage which is like a little house & is solely their domain, & the kitties are in the main house. since fostering we(& our youngest)came up with the idea that we should keep a kitty or 2 that best matches up with Lex so he can finally have the playmate we meant to get him 4yrs ago. as of this moment we are focusing on a playful female weve named Ginger whose a cute toortie(i think thats what they called her) & her brother Riggs who is almost identical to Lex in temperament. ive said all this cuz eventhough i primarily take care of Lex & Blake they are still my 1st cat companions. they are my buddies & lex has really helped me get through some rough times with my depression.

my thing is i want to do whats best for all concerned. i want Lex to have a playmate, & we have talked about taking as much time as is necessary to properly integrate Ginger & Riggs from scent integration & all the rest between both houses(the main area being the back house), but i want to put it to "the group" so to speak. do you all think its a wise idea to adopt BOTH Ginger & Riggs, which we would do simply cuzwe thought itd be less traumatic if we kept the sibs together instead of them being alone in the situation. we figured they would at least keep each other comfortable & keep the nervousness(for lack of a better word)down to a minimum. but is it the "right" thing to do in regards to integrating, or are we looking at this errantly?

the kitties just had their vet visit at the shelter. they got their shots & were weighed & the thought is they will be heavy enough to be spayed/neutered in the next week or two. so as of THIS moment ANY integration process is still a little ways away. so, any thoughts? i look forward to your responses, insights, etc. like i said, though its been 4yrs with these guys they are still my 1st cat pals. i love them VERY much. i dont want to do ANYTHING that will cause them any undue discomfort, & i want to do right by them ALL-my cats & the new kitties as well.  im confidant that Blake will be fine. he does his thing regardless of what anyone else does, & he seems very indifferent to the new scents i come in with(which is funny since hes pretty timid & is a bit of a "'fraidy cat"). Lex, as ive said earlier, is very people oriented. he is ALWAYS very aware of whatever is going on, even with us personally(like he knows what/how we are feeling even to an uncanny degree at times). i KNOW this will(& probably already is to one degree or another) effect him deeply. its was to the point where even when i came back from playing with the kitties hed sniff me for several minutes before hed let me really pet him or play with him; not like he was upset, but he had to really KNOW where id been, & he doesnt usually do that. so i know he knows SOMETHING is up. my family & i feel we can handle 2 new editions, but i want it to go as smoothly & uneventfully as possible.

so please any advice is welcome. than you for taking the time to read all this, & for replying. i really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator: