Intact Males Vs. Unaltered Females?

lizybear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am starting a small cattery and have some questions about if it is better to start with an intact male and let them grow up, or and unaltered female. I have read that unaltered females spray sometimes when in heat. How often does this happen and do they stop spraying when they are not in heat? Do males always spray if they are left intact. If I purchase a male first he will be a pet also and will live in our house with two small dogs and kids. If I decide on a male, is it better to buy them as a kitten or young adult? I have done a lot of research and have read different things about both male and females. My mentor said her females never spray. I would greatly appreciate any input or prior experience. Please only positive messages! Thanks

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only ever had females who sprayed and they were all spayed. I only had 2 cats who I got as older adults and had them neutered and they didn't spray at all. Intact or not, I think it just varies on the cat, the stress level, the amount of other cats/animals in the house, the amuont of space. Cats are so finicky.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the various mating/hormonal behaviors of cats will be a problem, I don't know if you really want to get into breeding cats. Tomcats can be difficult to live with, and it's not just spraying. Some can be moody and aggresive, some howl a lot, etc. And the urine smell is very strong, even if they always use the litterbox.

You also need to have a way to keep the males and females separated, because it's bad for females to be pregnant all the time; you have to be able to space their litters out responsibly.

Perhaps it would be best to only keep females, and borrow a stud from your mentor or another breeder? This is common in the dog world, I'm not sure how cat breeders do it though.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To answer your question....I would suggest the male first. If you get a girl first, then the male, you will have to wait for the male to mature to breed, while she is going through unbred heats - which can prove dangerous. Now as to spraying - yes both male and female can spray, but not all do. Unfortunately it is part of breeding. Eventually the male will have to be housed away from the females. Just remember too that an adult male if not allowed to breed can become frustrated and mean.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What breed are you planning to work with? It's difficult to answer your questions about behavior without knowing which breed you are talking about.

Are you planning to show your cats? Showing your cats has many benefits, including helping you develop relationships with other breeders, giving you access to a wider gene pool.

If there are other breeders within driving distance with suitable males that you could use, I would suggest starting with a female and using stud service at first. Depending on the breed, it can be a lot of work to keep your own male.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You do have an option to buy an young adult male?

The disadvantage of buying breeding cats as kittens you cant be sure their looks as adults.
If looks are important - they usually are.
Even if a good lineage may be most important.