Insurance,retiring early

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to retire but am not senior yet,51. How can I keep it? I have cognitive disabilities and cannot complete my job. One of my drugs is over $3000. Any insurance providers to help?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! This will be very helpful to my parents. They are willing to let me retire early but wanted to wait til I'm 55. I am lucky they can afford it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
This happened when I was 7. The surgeon is dead and records are so old they are nonexistant. I had a job coach a couple years ago but again, it's only by what my parents said

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I remember correctly, you work for your parents, right? As the employers, I assume they provide the insurance. Is there a way they can keep it for you even if you don't work for them anymore?

You may not qualify for SSI if your parents are supporting you and are well-off. I don't know how that works if they have you classified as an employee though.

But you may be able to qualify for Medicaid even if you don't qualify for SSI, if you can't continue your workplace insurance. You or your parents can contact DHS to ask about that.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I work for Target. Interesting about the medicaid. They take care of anything money related. I cannot follow a conversation so i depend on them for most things

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Affordable care plans aka Obama Care are available in every state in the US with significant subsidies based on your income. These plans aren’t super but do provide basic coverages. There is a minimum income however and if yours is less than that your state may provide Medicaid. However, Medicaid comes with strings including a potential lien on your property if you own it that would be collected if you died or moved.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
They do have an attorney and ar trying to get me Medicaid. I thought for Obama you have to be married. The thread neely neely sent will be very helpful. Thankx!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, gotcha. Yeah, try for SSI and Medicaid. You can also look on the ACA website for Marketplace insurance but most are high-deductible so they might not work for you.
I do have market place. It is high

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope so. They want to fire me but don't want to risk it. Right now it seems that won't matter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hope so. They want to fire me but don't want to risk it. Right now it seems that won't matter
Do you have any contact with your State's Department of Vocational Rehabilitation? The nonprofit I worked for was a vendor for them in our state. The counselors were pretty knowledgeable about these things but they would also help determine if a person was not able to continue or return to work. That kind of documentation could make a difference in any benefits you are eligible for. They might give the best direction for your and your parents. Your attorney might already be familiar with that also.

A friend of mine from college has a severely disabled daughter who just turned 18. She mentioned filing for guardianship of her now that shes an adult. That will let them handle all of these things for her. I mentioned this because I'm not sure if you and your parents have set up a legal way for them to advocate for you; and that could also help with receiving different forms of insurance and things. Maybe even qualify you for benefits you wouldn't get otherwise.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have power of attorney. I sent them a website for vocational rehabilitation. They called an attorney today. They did try to get me disability years ago but denied because I had no pre existing condition which i now do,sleep apnea. My seizure disorder does not count. So they will try again. Or I could move to Rhode Island, one of the best for medicaid coverage!

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey there! I actually work for a health insurance company, and am licensed in my state. If you're having issues with Medicaid, I agree with the suggestions for an individual policy. There are quite a few companies out there now without preexisting clauses, you may pay a little more, but you will get guaranteed acceptance. Also, if your yearly income is under the poverty level, you can get a state stipend to help pay for it. There's also discounts if you're even up to 200% above poverty level.
There's lots of info on the federal site - Get 2022 health coverage. Health Insurance Marketplace®.
I hope this helps!!