Insurance is a waste with CKD !

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just canceled my Pet Ins. The amount I pay for it monthly outweighs the amount I pay for Wellness. Most of the visits I make are CKD associated and are not even considered for coverage..I am totally mad at myself for not reading and understanding this when shopping for Ins.
I am not a happy camper this morning.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've looked into pet insurance before and came to the conclusion that it's only beneficial for huge incidents like if kitty needed surgery from an accident or something. Most companies I looked into, would cover an initial vet visit for something new...but any ongoing treatment to it would not get covered anymore as it then becomes a "pre-existing condition". So I just make sure that I put aside an emergency fund for instances where my kitties would need care outside of regular stuff. My thought is, if I can afford to put aside a monthly contribution for insurance...I may as well just put that amount in a savings account that accrues interest instead. Granted, I probably wouldn't be able to afford to drop like, 20 grand for an emergency, but in all my years of having kitties, I've (knock on wood) never had an issue arise that I could not pay for...and I'm not rolling in money here...but I do what I can.
I also had a CKD kitty, I hope yours feels good right now. I know it can be a roller-coaster ride.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've looked into pet insurance before and came to the conclusion that it's only beneficial for huge incidents like if kitty needed surgery from an accident or something. Most companies I looked into, would cover an initial vet visit for something new...but any ongoing treatment to it would not get covered anymore as it then becomes a "pre-existing condition". So I just make sure that I put aside an emergency fund for instances where my kitties would need care outside of regular stuff. My thought is, if I can afford to put aside a monthly contribution for insurance...I may as well just put that amount in a savings account that accrues interest instead. Granted, I probably wouldn't be able to afford to drop like, 20 grand for an emergency, but in all my years of having kitties, I've (knock on wood) never had an issue arise that I could not pay for...and I'm not rolling in money here...but I do what I can.
I also had a CKD kitty, I hope yours feels good right now. I know it can be a roller-coaster ride.
Thank you for your well wishes. My feelings exactly as far as putting it into an account and saving for a rainy day cat fund rather than forking out $50 a month..for what? I am learning as I go along.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty wasn't CKD when you got the insurance, but developed it later and the company wouldn't cover it? I'm asking because, yeah, I don't need to be subsidizing a company for little to nothing. I'm not sure I could afford the co-pay for the huge things anyway -- like $7K out of pocket is serious. (that was a quote for a hypothetical broken leg.)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see. There are many words I'm not saying here, but I suspect you've said them. Thank you for the heads up. I hadn't realized that about the insurance. Yes, it makes a difference.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see. There are many words I'm not saying here, but I suspect you've said them. Thank you for the heads up. I hadn't realized that about the insurance. Yes, it makes a difference.
That was with the insurance I went with. I have no idea about any others. This one did me in and was supposed to be spot on..one of the best, if you get my drift.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Usually with pet insurance companies, a pre existing chronic condition becomes an exclusion. If the condition develops before you took out the insurance, it is not covered. Minor condition, such as a UTI, usually have a waiting period and then are covered. However, if your cat developed CKD after you took out the policy, you may have a case to make with your state insurance commissioner.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always advise people to just put aside a set amount of money each pay period in a pet care fund. If you do this monthly you will have money when you need it.

rabernet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have pet insurance on my cat, but I do on my two golden retrievers because they are susceptible to developing cancer (like over 60% will develop cancer in their lifetime). Not sure who your insurance company is (or even if we can share), but for the goldens - even if they develop CKD, it would be covered at 90% after I meet my deductible with no dollar cap. One of them was diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia a year after the wait period and would be covered in the event he ever needs surgical intervention.

I've had to make a few claims (obstruction surgery, thyroid blood tests and meds covered) and I get direct deposit within 48 hours of submitting my claims. I've been with them for 8 years now.

I'm so sorry that yours isn't covering - I'm dealing with CKD right now with my 14 year old (in my profile photo). I plan to post more about her some time this weekend for feedback. Sadly - this isn't my first rodeo with CKD - but it's been about 8 years since I last had a CKD kitty - so lots to re-learn.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just canceled my Pet Ins. The amount I pay for it monthly outweighs the amount I pay for Wellness. Most of the visits I make are CKD associated and are not even considered for coverage..I am totally mad at myself for not reading and understanding this when shopping for Ins.
I am not a happy camper this morning.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Totally agree. Even if I could afford it, insurance won’t cover existing conditions, so it’s useless to me. My girls are indoor only, so major accidents are unlikely, and their vet visits are either regular checkups or about their IBD or megacolon.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually with pet insurance companies, a pre existing chronic condition becomes an exclusion. If the condition develops before you took out the insurance, it is not covered. Minor condition, such as a UTI, usually have a waiting period and then are covered. However, if your cat developed CKD after you took out the policy, you may have a case to make with your state insurance commissioner.
They reimbursed 1 claim then denied another after diagnosis . Like, "Too Bad, So Sad but keep making those payments." Meanwhile I just bought a tube of medication for $39.99 and 24 cans of renal food for $60.. I used the canceled insurance payment reimbursement to cover most of the food. Better spent that way he way the cost of everything is rising more and more..