Instant Pot

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always hated making rice because it would always boil over and then I'd have sticky rice starch all over the stovetop. Plus I grew up using a rice cooker.

And that's actually the reason I bought the pressure cooker---because I wanted a rice cooker but also something that wasn't a single-purpose machine. So now I'm glad I did.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always hated making rice because it would always boil over and then I'd have sticky rice starch all over the stovetop. Plus I grew up using a rice cooker.

And that's actually the reason I bought the pressure cooker---because I wanted a rice cooker but also something that wasn't a single-purpose machine. So now I'm glad I did.
Same here. I have a small rice cooker that we got a long time ago but I also have an IP.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bring the rice and water just to a boil. I then turn the heat down as low as it will go and put a lid on it. I let it sit like that for about 15 minutes.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an InstantPot. It was bought for $69 on sale at Costco on October 4th. That was the day that Himself fell and had a vertebral fracture. I've been staring at the box and shoving it under the table since then. Today, I decided, was The Day. I'll figure it out and use it!

Which we did. I'm making soup stock with two big meaty turkey backs that the local IGA (which has a butcher, cuts up meat) was selling for 69 cents / pound.

What have I learned? Two big meaty turkey backs are too much for one batch of stock in a 6 quart Duo SV InstantPot. Six quart is not really 6 quart since you only fill it 2/3. One turkey back, 2 carrots, 3 stalks of celery, half a large onions complete with skin, some garlic, and 2 1/2 quarts of water bring it up to the max fill line.

Nice stock, but the second batch is now cycling through the InstantPot. If I were doing it in the usual Dutch oven it would be both turkey backs and less than 5 quarts of water. Plus about 2 hours cooking time rather than 30 minutes.

But not bad for a first time InstantPot use, agreed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was only thinking of an electric pressure cooker. My electric glass top stove can be a pain. It might take half an hour on high heat to get a pot of water to just start simmering :gaah:

Maybe America's Test Kitchen has a recommendation of electric pressure cookers :think: Then again, it's ATK so they're all into using their fancy gas stoves any way they can :rolleyes:

You bring the rice to a boil on the stove and then turn the heat down to let the rice gently simmer away until the water evaporates and the rice is cooked. That avoids the bubble over. Mom always put the lid on and when the lid starts rattling from the bubbling water and steam, she takes it off, gives the rice a stir, turns the heat down, and puts the lid back on.

I prefer to use a basic rice cooker. Press a button and let it do it's thing until the button pops up indicating the rice is done.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I braved Wal Mart on Thanksgiving evening at six o'clock to get this thing. I will never do that again. Anyway, I have a question? How much steam does it release during cooking. How much steam does it release if you do a quick release? I don't want to ruin the finish on my cabinets from steam escaping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I braved Wal Mart on Thanksgiving evening at six o'clock to get this thing. I will never do that again. Anyway, I have a question? How much steam does it release during cooking. How much steam does it release if you do a quick release? I don't want to ruin the finish on my cabinets from steam escaping.
It doesn't really release steam while it is cooking. If you do a quick release you can either turn it away from your cabinets before you release the steam, or get one of the gadgets LTS3 mentioned. Someone sent me a dragon for my birthday -

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I love the dragon! :clap:

I was just thinking about my IP. It's a rainy day and black bean stew sounds good.