Insomnia advice?

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe by now some of you folks have noticed the inconsistency in the times I post. All through the night time, sometimes in the morning, afternoon, evening... Well, I realized that the best place to ask about my issue is probably TCS, at least for support!

I am having an issue with insomnia, obviously! I have tried so hard to keep a very regular bedtime and wake-up time, but I will lay down and then lay there for an hour or two and I just can't sleep, so I get back up and go to do something. Then I heard that you shouldn't just lay there, it makes it worse, so I laid down for 15 or 20 minutes and if I don't fall asleep by then (often don't) then I am back up, surfing TCS, finishing homework, doing chores like dishes and sweeping the tiles and laundry.
Reading books and books and books, watching movies for the umpteenth time, and all the special features...

Often now I don't even get tired enough to fall asleep (even if I try multiple times) until I have been awake for close to 24 hours. It is getting ridiculous. I am awake at 7 am and I have been awake since yesterday morning. I am tired, but I have a class at 10 am so of course I will not go to sleep... And then I don't want to sleep all afternoon and evening, so I don't know what I will do. It is exhausting.

Do you have any help or advice? I don't even know what I am looking for, but please share your experiences if you have them. This has been going on for a few months now.

Also, I know that maybe I should see a doctor, but we do not have health insurance - haven't since I moved away from home, and both of us are currently unemployed (full time students). I have lots of things I should see a doctor for, but I save my money for the kitties fund instead.
Maybe you can just share experiences or advice, even if it is just "save up some cash and see your doc, lady!"

Thanks guys.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I know how you feel--I have always had a bit of trouble with insomnia.

Please, anyone, some advice for us??? Thanks!

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is not a Dr on campus that you can see? Even at my community college part of the enrollment fee went to health care.

I used to have alot of problems falling asleep! I was told not not watch TV or be on the comp before bed time, but to settle down with a book instead.

Good luck!

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
have you ever tried melatonin? its a natural supplement, you take it before bedtime and it works very well, you can buy it at any grocery store in the vitamin supplement section.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emy4cats

There is not a Dr on campus that you can see? Even at my community college part of the enrollment fee went to health care.
We've had a health center at all of the three schools I've gone to. Maybe you're stressed or depressed? Students are often stressed by deadlines and copious amounts of work. When I lay down for bed, my head is filled with all the things I need to do the next day.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cats4sky

have you ever tried melatonin? its a natural supplement, you take it before bedtime and it works very well, you can buy it at any grocery store in the vitamin supplement section.
I take that each night.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, of course on this forum, our first suggestion would be a cuddling, purring cat.

I have the problem, but usually when I'm trying to sleep during the day.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the exact same problem. I typically don't get tired enough to easily fall asleep until I've been awake for 24 hours. I'm fine if I can GET to sleep and most of the time I'll stay asleep just fine, but its the getting to sleep that is the hard part. I try to lay in bed for at least an hour before I get up, though. Now I take Ambien every night before I go to sleep. It works, and I don't feel groggy the next day, IF I get the right amount of sleep. I can't take it and expect to get up 5 hours later, so I have to go to bed before 11pm. My husband has been working late (like 2-3am) so I haven't been taking it the past few days and I'm actually falling right to sleep.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've already received good advice; I also recommend getting exercise every day, and being in bed at 10:00 p.m. My husband and I have found that if we miss that 10:00 window, we can stay up practically all night, so we make sure to be in bed by that time. My husband reads for a while, but I get really sleepy... If i stay up until 11:00, I'm not tired any more at all.

I read about our natural cycles and evidently 10:00 is a magic time for going to bed.

Hope you figure it out! Not getting enough sleep is bad for your health; it's linked to heart disease and diabetes, among other things.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

You've already received good advice; I also recommend getting exercise every day, and being in bed at 10:00 p.m. My husband and I have found that if we miss that 10:00 window, we can stay up practically all night, so we make sure to be in bed by that time. My husband reads for a while, but I get really sleepy... If i stay up until 11:00, I'm not tired any more at all.

I read about our natural cycles and evidently 10:00 is a magic time for going to bed.
The bad thing with me is that my "sleepy" time is around 5pm. LOL With our family it isn't reasonable or feasible to go to bed that early. I get SUPER tired every day at that time, but by 9pm I'm wide awake again. I do good and can be on a pretty regular schedule if I can take my Ambien at 9pm every night. I'm then in bed by 9:30 (takes about 1/2 an hour for it to really kick in) and I stay on that schedule pretty regularly. A couple weeks ago we stayed up really late a few nights in a row so I got my schedule off and haven't been able to get back to it yet.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have in my past suffered from sever insomnia. Make sure you cut out all caffeine. It makes a HUGE difference. Exercise is so important. Try to wear yourself out like you might do with a rambunctious kitten! Never underestimate the power of Bendryl. It's non-addictive and will knock you out. After taking it for a while you may need two. A doctor friend of mine prescribes that for his patients rather than sleep aids. It's cheaper, safer and for me does a better job. You're right to get up when you can't sleep. When all else fails for me, I sit in a hard back chair at my dining table and read classic poetry. I TRY to stay awake and usually find I'm out cold. You might also look at your carb intake. If you're getting a lot through the day cut back. I mention this since you said you're sleepy at 5. What you're eating may be making you crash earlier than you should.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found a product called "Calms Forte" to be a big help for my lifelong insomnia. It is a homeopathic tablet made by Hylands. It can be easily found in health food stores and some grocery pharmacies.

Good luck...insomnia is a miserable condition!!!!

Cally

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

Never underestimate the power of Bendryl. It's non-addictive and will knock you out. After taking it for a while you may need two. A doctor friend of mine prescribes that for his patients rather than sleep aids. It's cheaper, safer and for me does a better job.
Don't mean to hyjack this thread, sorry!!

I have a hyper-reaction to Benedryl, and can't take it. It lasts for 24 hours on me, and I'm completely useless and can't stay awake the whole 24 hours. It darn near puts me in a coma for the whole day. The same thing happens to my mother in law. We both have sleep problems and take the same sleep medications, and during a conversation we had one day about our sleeping issues we realized we have the same reaction.

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahhh, where to start with this one...I have had insomnia since I was a kid (I'm 30 now) and I have tried every method possible to sleep & nothing works EXCEPT ambien, but there's limits to it - I have a very high tolerance level so it works for a little while than I have to stop taking it to make my tolerance level go down...I took tylenol pm for years before I finally went to the dr & now I only take that when I'm not on the ambien.

Everyone is different so you just need to try everyone's suggestions, honestly I would love to just take a horse tranquilizer & wake up refreshed the next day, that obviously will never happen though. Even on the ambien I still wake up throughout the night but it mostly helps in falling asleep right away as it starts working after about 1/2 hour. Good luck & if you find something that works PLEASE let me know because I am also at my wits end with not being able to sleep!!!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you ever tried a sleep study? That might help you know more about your sleep.
I have found drinking a glass of warm tea before bed and taking a shower and making sure my bedding smells clean - I wash it all the time and use downy - helps a lot. Just some small steps. also making sure I am not too hot. Putting on mellow music is helpful and making sure it is dark.
And just because you knew it was coming, please visit your doctor about this when you can
they have some on campus for students.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take allergy medication every day and that's enough to make me drop off at night - I'm a night owl and like to sleep during the day!

Good lucking finding a solution.