insight required

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Orange tabby

feral cat - cat born in the wild, just over 1 years old, mother killed in december 2020 [run over].
He is not as filled out like an entire tom or semi tom.

Personality - anxious, playful, frightened easily, inquistive but not street smart.
Behaviour triats:
Cowers from all intruders or runs away, when he see's an intruder, predominately roaming males, he runs close to give them a kiss.
Urine marks when anxious.

Really poor hunting skills...

I got cat neutered end of jan, currently he has company in a spayed feline part of same colony, the rest of the colony have been homed.

Issue:
Everytime he see's me, he wants to be petted, i could just be stepping into the garden, and he will shoot over from the neighbours, to be petted, whilst demanding to be petted, whining, more so than meowing.

I am feeding him.... i don't think it's a health issue.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is an orange male who has known you his whole life and probably really likes you. Do you think that what you are describing shows a medical issue like pain? I think he sounds as if he could be homed over time.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
From your description, I don’t think there’s any problem. Unless you think it’s a painful type meow, but with him running up, greeting you, and wanting attention, I don’t think that’s the case. Cats have all kinds of different meows (in fact, cats are capable of 90+ vocalizations, per: More than Meow! Cats Can Make Over 90 Different Sounds - Sophisticat). To me, I think it sounds like that’s just his way of begging for attention. I agree with fionasmom fionasmom ’s assessment. He might be a candidate to move inside with you, as it sounds like he is socialized. Check out this article: The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think he just thinks of you as "his" human. He is possibly well on his way to being able to transition to house cat. Is this a possibility for you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the replies..

transitioning to a house cat is not possible at the moment, the idea was to get he homed when he got neutered, but cried all the way to the vet [thru charity] and had to be brought back, he likes the outdoors, so if he gets homed, it must be a home that allows him to come and go.

what do you mean by his human

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure what options you have in your own home/house, but this cat doesn't sound like a real good candidate for being allowed to roam free outside. Is there any chance of you hiring a handyman to build a catio/cat enclosure - enabling him to have outside available to him but in a somewhat confined manner? All it would take is some boards and chicken wire, maybe some sort of roof to protect him from the weather. I've included a pic just for example purposes, but there are tons of ways to build one and you can check them out by doing an internet search 'catios/cat enclosures'. They can contain different levels/perches and/or house cat trees, what ever you think would help entertain him.

Btw, 'his human' means he looks to you as his care taker and protector.
catio example.jpg