Inside To Outside Cat

Ali1982

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok so my cat has been inside for 2 years. I’m completely tired of his hair on everything so decided to make him an outside cat once we moved to our new apartment. Anyway as of last night he’s been outside since we moved. Just now I hear him fighting I go out there scare the other cat away picked him up he’s covered in his own piss stinks to high hell and is all dirty like he’s grey when he’s a white cat and didn’t look anything like that yesterday. I don’t want him back inside at all but I don’t want him dead either. My kids won’t let me get rid of him. So I need a lil advise on how to keep him alive?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ali1982

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had cats when I was little and my mom made me put them outside and they lived. So no it’s not a joke. I’m not getting rid of him. I just want him to live outside.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Ali1982

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m not covering my furniture when we sit on them all the time it wouldnt help. My kids r 9 and 5 it’s hard enough trying to get them to clean the litter box. I do not want him inside anymore. He’s out for good. I just want tips on how to keep other cats away I guess. I don’t want to have to keep him in a kennel that’s no life. I know everyone’s going to think I’m being mean. But really I’ve dealt with it for two years. I’m not having my new apartment get all hairy and smell like litter. I’m completely over having him inside. Yes I love him but he can’t come inside again.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A cat who lived two years inside and gets thrown outside doesn't have the skills to be an outside cat. I do have indoor/outdoor cats so this isn't me saying cats can't be outside. But your cat doesn't know how to interact with other cats, doesn't know the dangers, doesn't know how to fight, doesn't have the muscles and endurance to run away from danger or stand up for himself; essentially he doesn't have the street smarts. It would be like taking you to a forest and saying "go live" then wondering why you can't survive like mountain men do since other humans can. Your cat is going up against cats with street smarts and whose territory he has invaded.

The kindest thing would be to let him back inside. He will die outside because he lacks the skills or he will be chased away from your home since it isn't his territory and he doesn't have the experience to hold it. Again, I have cats who go outside so this isn't anti outside but a cat raised indoors isn't suited to outside. I introduced my cats slowly to outside when they were younger, I trained them to come when called, I keep up to date on medical issues, they have full access inside at all times and a curfew. Plus I have three cats who back each other up and work together; other neighbor cats leave our yard alone because they are established here. You can bring and outside cat in, but you can't put an inside cat out.

You said the issue is the fur. If your kids want to keep him maybe they'd be willing to brush him on a regular basis? Brushing plus a regular vacuum schedule can help with fur issues. It won't get rid of the fur but it might bring it to more acceptable levels. If you really can't handle the fur and won't let him back inside; I would agree with rehoming him is the best option for him.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If you leave an indoor cat outside he is going to get killed. He's only just moved to a new area, has no idea where he is, will come into contact with cats who have already claimed that area and is also at risk from cars, dogs and other animals.

The cats you had as a child were lucky enough to survive, but most outdoor cats only live 2 to 5 years.

If you can't be bothered to look after him properly please take him to a No Kill shelter where he'll get the care he deserves.

Don't make your kids go through the heartbreak of losing a beloved pet just because it's inconvenient for you to have him indoors.

Ali1982

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve taken care of it for the night I’ll figure it out tomorrow thx

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve taken care of it for the night I’ll figure it out tomorrow thx
Have you brought him back indoors?

He won't survive a night outside. He doesn't know where he is, he'll wander off and get killed.

I see you're in an area with a huge feral cat population, as well as urban coyotes and heavy traffic.

Please don't leave him to die out there. We can help you make your home comfortable for cats and people without to much effort. Just bring him back inside before it's too late.

Ali1982

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can’t afford the pet deposit or the extra 60 a month to keep him inside. I’ve put him on Craigslist might take him to a non kill shelter tomorrow idk yet. But for now he’s safe

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Craigslist is a bit dodgy. People take cats to use as bait animals in dog fights and lots of other nefarious activities.

He'd be a lot safer in a shelter.

Here are a few you could try.

What We Do

https://heavenlypets.org/

California No Kill Animal Shelters: Find one near me - The nOkill Network

Please just don't turn him out to fend for himself. It would be like putting your 5 year old outside over night in a strange neighborhood and expecting them to be OK. He came back filthy and covered in his own pee because the resident feral cats had beaten the crap out of him. Don't let that happen, you're all he's got.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t afford the pet deposit or the extra 60 a month to keep him inside. I’ve put him on Craigslist might take him to a non kill shelter tomorrow idk yet. But for now he’s safe
May I ask about this, when you said, "... the extra 60 a month to keep him inside"? Is that 60 a month for food? Is that what you are referring to? If so, were you planning on not feeding him and thinking he get fed properly outside?!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
May I ask about this, when you said, "... the extra 60 a month to keep him inside"? Is that 60 a month for food? Is that what you are referring to? If so, were you planning on not feeding him and thinking he get fed properly outside?!
Probably the pet rent amount . Most apartments, at least around here, have a pet deposit and a monthly pet rent adder.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably the pet rent amount . Most apartments, at least around here, have a pet deposit and a monthly pet rent adder.
Okay. Thanks, Kieka. (I must live in a great building then. Just a pet fee per animal; two animals max. No monthly pet rent.)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again. Please understand, we're not judging, we're trying to help find a win-win for you and for the cat.

Rather than Craigslist, use Nextdoor . Com instead. As mentioned, Craigslist an awful place where the creeps and sickos look for animals in situations like yours.

As mentioned, you are all this animal has. Take a look at this article (link below), but basically no matter which platform you use, be absolutely sure to ask a rehoming fee. That will usually send the human filth elsewhere.

This is applicable for cats as well as kittens
"kittens To Good Homes" - How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Geez, this is awful!
I'm like pushpurrcatpaws, I had no idea this is a thing.
Things like this make me so frustrated, people are struggling enough the way it is and like A Ali1982 don't want to give up their pets! :disappointed: :mad2:. :frustrated:

For ali1982, you could scatter citrus peel around but that would also be uncomfortable for your cat, you could look into motion activated sprinklers but again this will affect your cat.

A catio is still better than just leaving him loose outside although I'm guessing you'd still have to pay for him, if it's even allowed, but at least your kids wouldn't be losing their buddy.

I have no idea if there's anything in these but just in case;

(apologies for any dead links you may encounter);
Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Crazykat Lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Find a home for him if he is sociable..if you take him to a so called "no kill shelter" and he hissed or isn't sociable or gets along with others he will be put to sleep . Look up no kill shelters just because it says no kill don't mean they don't put them to sleep. When the shelters get to full they have no choice, when cats are unhealthy they don't have the funds to help them, when a cat is unsociable with others they will allow them a week or two at most to find a home then they do out them tosleep...yes people even babies.. I worked at a No kill shelter through I was doing good till I seen what they did and why. Was told they can't keep all the ones that Come in they have to deal with it now they see fit to make room for others that Come in... There is no such thing as a true no kill shelter ...look it up ask questions..

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Norachan Norachan for calling me.
I hope the OP is still reading this. I have a cat rescue group and wondered where you/kitty are located.
I may be able to help.
Don't be offended by the reactions of members, we are all great cat lovers and have endless compassion for them, and he is not streetwise (clearly) so it's unsettling. Not personal, nobody knows you.
My guess due to his first night getting beat up already, he is not neutered, is that right?
I can get him neutered etc. May even pay the deposit, or if you truly want to rehome him I will find a foster home for him, even if I have to foster him myself.
This is extremely dangerous for him, the simple fact of last night's fight means the bully who went after him is protecting his territory for mating, and will go after your cat over and over, unneutered males fight with the intent to cause as much harm as possible, I have seen cats with torn up faces and eyes scratched to blindness (some members might remember Buddy/his pic.) Tragic story.
Bite wounds abcess, and he has a high chance of getting fiv/felv. He may have from last night already, it only takes 1 bite that punctures the skin, giving saliva to blood contact.
Plus he is all white and is a poor candidate for 24/7 outdoor life. Ear/nose cancer is commonly seen in white cats, have rescued them with advanced stages of cancer. Had one girls ears amputated down to little crescent moons but nose cancer, well can't amputate a nose....very, very painful slow death.
Also, if you just moved there he has no idea where he is.
Let me know what area you live.

Also, I think the mention of $60 extra to keep inside is litter, correct?

Last edited:

JoyM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your landlord would allow it, how about a “catio”? It’s an outdoor enclosure that is usually used so indoor cats can get some fresh air and outdoor time but still be safe. I did a quick internet search and found this site for an example:Catio Spaces: Custom & DIY Catios & Cat Enclosures
Even an enclosure for originality designed for chickens would work and probably be cheaper.
Otherwise, please consider finding him a new home. I’m not being judgmental at all. It’s just that the statistics are pretty bad. Outdoor cats have an average lifespan of 6 years while indoor cats live 16 years on average. That’s not even factoring in that he grew up indoors so he didn’t learn how to survive outside. His odds are probably lower than most. I hate that you are in such a difficult position. It’s never easy to choose between your pet and your home. I had to start grooming my two cats daily to reduce the hair and my husband doesn’t allow them in the bedrooms and I had to get a bunch of scratching posts to keep them from doing damage.
Since he was in a pretty rough spat with another cat, please check him out thoroughly every day for the next few days. Even a small bite from another cat can become an abscess and it can go from a reasonable vet bill to an extremely expensive one in just a day or two of festering. If you see any areas of swelling, take him to the vet immediately for some antibiotics because if it keeps swelling and ruptures, it will become a huge bill. Unfortunately when I was a kid, my grandparents had an outdoor cat who had never been inside. She would get into those fights and I lost count of how many abscess she got afterwards. One day she was just gone. We never saw her in the road so she was probably taken off by a stray dog or coyote. Honestly, all the cats they had throughout my childhood were outside and I don’t remember any of them getting older than 6 so in my family the statistics were actually worse than what I have read but we lived in the country where there was lots of wildlife.
I hope you find a good compromise for you and your pet!