Inside To Outside Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ali1982

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought him back inside took him to the vet. He’s doing good. Had his wounds flushed out. Gave him a bath. I’ve talked to my kids they r going to brush him in the mornings after school and before bed. I got blankets to cover the furniture. Gonna see how things go. Poor thing is traumatized but he’s ok. Thx fir ur advice everyone. I’m seriously not a horrible cat owner I love him. If I didn’t I would have left him outside. I just know from experience my mom did the same thing and my cats were fine. But that was years ago everything’s different now I guess. But my cat is doing good. Just thought I’d let u know. Spent 100 on him at the store and another 170 at the vet fir everything plus meds.

JoyM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought him back inside took him to the vet. He’s doing good. Had his wounds flushed out. Gave him a bath. I’ve talked to my kids they r going to brush him in the mornings after school and before bed. I got blankets to cover the furniture. Gonna see how things go. Poor thing is traumatized but he’s ok. Thx fir ur advice everyone. I’m seriously not a horrible cat owner I love him. If I didn’t I would have left him outside. I just know from experience my mom did the same thing and my cats were fine. But that was years ago everything’s different now I guess. But my cat is doing good. Just thought I’d let u know. Spent 100 on him at the store and another 170 at the vet fir everything plus meds.
I’m sooo glad you got him to the vet quickly! Those wounds can get very bad, very quickly. One summer we had to take our cat with us to the beach because she had to have antibiotic injections twice a day for a week and pain medication and wound care. It was awfu.
I’m not judging- promise! It’s not easy. You are trying to raise your kids in a safe, clean environment and raise a happy, healthy pet.
I’m a mom too and have 2 cats, 2 dogs and I foster orphaned kittens for the shelter. It can get overwhelming. I gave my youngest son the chore of feeding the animals every night when he was 4 because he is the youngest child and is spoiled so I wanted him to grow up knowing that something relied on him like he relied on all of us. He is now 8 and that is still his daily chore. Sure he complains about it BUT he is a very compassionate young man and the reason we started fostering. Your youngest is old enough to feed him and while the older could scoop the litter box and they can both brush him every day. At the absolute MOST it would be 10 minutes of chores a day to be able to keep the cat. It’s not a bad trade off for them at all. They learn responsibility and compassion while you get some MUCH needed help (every mom does)!
I hope you don’t feel like I am telling you how to raise your family. This just REALLY helped me gain some much needed sanity in my home.
I think these grooming gloves will make it easy for them to brush him easier and safer:https://www.chewy.com/handson-all-in-one-bathing-grooming/dp/136597
I’m sure you could find something similar at the pet store but I actually use chewy.com. I’m a walking-talking ad for them because it has really saved us a lot of $ and has a great selection.

Thank you for not getting upset with me earlier. I know it kind of felt like you were vilified for just needing help. In general, people on these types of sites are extremely passionate about animals. I know you are doing your best and just felt exasperated and overwhelmed between kids, moving, pet problems and other things (things tend to be crazy while moving). Try to stay sane and ask the rest of the family for help. It can get easier! ❤

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
YOU ARE AWESOME!!! and thank you so very much for the update - we have a habit of drawing everyone's cats in to our hearts and they become our own by extension, thank you :vibes::heartshape:

Oh, by the way, try some classical harp music - it really helps cats to relax and become more calm :) and there's an app called Relax My Cat, and there's also You Tube streaming (I think - not absolutely sure) of MusicForcats . com

and, don't be a stranger :) I realize you have your hands full, but we'd LOVE to see you around the site and hear more about you and your cat :lovecat2:

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is possible (though I don't typically recommend) for cats to live outside, assuming that they have adequate shelter and in a generally "safe" area. That said, there are inherent risks with cats who go outside even for a few hours, as you have just experienced. Other cats, wildlife, cars, fleas, not nice humans, etc. I've had indoor/outdoor cats in the past but after battling fleas and a run in with a stray, I switched to indoors only. I work at a barn, so we have barn cats who live outside but they have a hay shed and even they come inside when the weather is bad. Living 24/7 outdoors is just not going to be a good life for any cat, if you want them to live a full one. It becomes even more difficult and life threatening if they do reach their senior years, and cats can potentially live up to 20 yrs.

I don't see how an apartment complex would have any kind of long term shelter for a cat (other than the apartments themselves), and it's now obvious that you have other cats competing outside. It is difficult to deter other cats, especially if you don't have your own "perimeter," and I imagine it would be very expensive to try to defend the whole complex. Add to that the upkeep of extra vet visits, clean up, flea control, etc. I don't see this outdoor lifestyle working out for you or your cat here.

Your best choices are this: 1. accept the cat lifestyle and commit to cleaning up fur and litter for the next 10+ years. Regular grooming, house cleaning, and cleaning the litter box every day may seem like a chore but it is the easiest and least expensive way to manage things. Or.... 2. decide that owning a cat just isn't for you, and find him an appropriate home. It sucks, and I'm sure you and your kids are attached, but if you want the best for him but are not able to provide it, it'd be what's in his best interest. I wouldn't trust Craigslist, and even posting on social media can be sketchy as there are some shady people out there. If you know any local rescuers/ groups, reach out to them, or take the cat to a no-kill shelter. That may not sound appealing to you, but they have the means to try to find him another home.

I hope you choose to keep your kitty, but if you can't, please give him his best chance with a shelter or rescue group. Please don't let him fend for himself outside. I wish you both the best of luck.

JoyM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope things are getting better. I’m sure you were as traumatized as he was after he was hurt.
My husband is OCD so I know how stressful it is to keep the house clean with a pet (we have the 2 dogs, 2 cats and I foster kittens for the shelter). If I hadn’t started making my children step up and do their part, I would have gone insane (it would have been a short trip anyway). At first it was a pain to get them to do what they were supposed to (and I still have to remind them every day) but it’s sooo much easier now. I grew up in the country where kids still helped their parents on the farm so I know how important it is for each person in a family to do their part. My kids each have a couple daily chores that they don’t get an allowance for and then there are things they can do extra to earn money. I have heard plenty of times “but none of my friends have to do chores” to which I tell them “Well, I’m not raising you to be a child your whole life. I’m raising you to be a responsible adult. You are part of this family so act like it.”
Everyone needs help from time to time so don’t hesitate to ask your family to do things.
Give us an update on how things are going. I’m rooting for you!

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok so my cat has been inside for 2 years. I’m completely tired of his hair on everything so decided to make him an outside cat once we moved to our new apartment. Anyway as of last night he’s been outside since we moved. Just now I hear him fighting I go out there scare the other cat away picked him up he’s covered in his own piss stinks to high hell and is all dirty like he’s grey when he’s a white cat and didn’t look anything like that yesterday.
The cat/s whose territory you have THRUST your cat into are warning your cat to GET OUT or we'll KILL you!

What makes you think he's covered in his OWN piss . . . ? It could be the other cat peed on him to show dominance. Or, it could be that your cat literally was scared to death & lost control. Not his fault . . . it's your's. You thrust him into that situation. It's called abandonment. He is NOT equipped to live outside . . . especially not in THIS situation!

It is Very INHUMANE to dump a cat into territory that BELONGS to OTHER cats! They do NOT share well!

Even feral cats who are re-homed to live as working cats are kept & cared for in a kennel for at least 6 weeks . . . to allow them to get used to the scents, sounds, new location, & new animals in the vicinity. . . . Otherwise they are likely to try to return to where they lived before, & get killed in the process!

You just took him there & dumped him . . . ? That was an incredibly ignorent & insensitive thing to do. You certainly aren't earning any respect from your children by doing that.

You need to do the RESPONSIBLE thing & rehome this cat to a GOOD home . . . despite what your children say. This cat deserves better than what you offer.

OR . . . Is there ANY chance that you could desensitize the cat to a vacuum cleaner . . . ? Some people run a special-made vacuum extension over their pet's coat every day . . . to keep the house fur-free!:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
kommunity kats kommunity kats , re-read previous posts! She has, indeed, brought the cat back in, he's been to the vet, and they are working on taking care of the issues with him being inside! Your deep care and concern for this cat certainly does you credit, but she is really going the extra mile to keep him inside and happy.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not covering my furniture when we sit on them all the time it wouldnt help. My kids r 9 and 5 it’s hard enough trying to get them to clean the litter box. I do not want him inside anymore. He’s out for good. I just want tips on how to keep other cats away I guess. I don’t want to have to keep him in a kennel that’s no life. I know everyone’s going to think I’m being mean. But really I’ve dealt with it for two years. I’m not having my new apartment get all hairy and smell like litter. I’m completely over having him inside. Yes I love him but he can’t come inside again.
No offense but u seem to b thinking more of ure apt than the life of a cat..that u have had for 2 yrs..How could u put him outside after 2 yrs being inside..I live in a very nice apt...I have nice furniture etc...Theres no way I could ever do that...And I know from personal experience..u can fix things in that apt..to where u can keep fur off ure furniture...n litter box wont smell..Ive did it almost 11 yrs....So yea it can DONE...And like I said.. I live in a very nice apt with nice stuff..n my cat is Solid White...and my furniture is brown..like my living room ...It sounds so COLD to do what ure DOING..not being smart..but it does...:( :headshake::cloudy::argue::nono:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
kommunity kats kommunity kats , re-read previous posts! She has, indeed, brought the cat back in, he's been to the vet, and they are working on taking care of the issues with him being inside! Your deep care and concern for this cat certainly does you credit, but she is really going the extra mile to keep him inside and happy.
I didnt read myself previous post..guess I need to start doing that myself..:frustrated::wave2:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Craigslist is a bit dodgy. People take cats to use as bait animals in dog fights and lots of other nefarious activities.

He'd be a lot safer in a shelter.

Here are a few you could try.

What We Do

Home

California No Kill Animal Shelters: Find one near me - The nOkill Network

Please just don't turn him out to fend for himself. It would be like putting your 5 year old outside over night in a strange neighborhood and expecting them to be OK. He came back filthy and covered in his own pee because the resident feral cats had beaten the crap out of him. Don't let that happen, you're all he's got.
I TOTALLY AGREE

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
God Bless You..:thumbsup::hyper::cloud9::wave3::yess::thanks::crossfingers::clap2:

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I brought him back inside took him to the vet.... Had his wounds flushed.... Gave him a bath.... my kids r going to brush him in the mornings ... and before bed. I got blankets to cover the furniture. Gonna see how things go. Poor thing is traumatized but he’s ok.... I love him. If I didn’t I would have left him outside.... Just thought I’d let u know. Spent 100 on him at the store and another 170 at the vet fir everything plus meds.
EXCELLENT!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I love happy endings.
Thank you for taking this cat back in. You are all that he has got.

They say once a cat is in, there is no way that it has to be out.
Again, thank you.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
This post pulled a string in my heart. No offense to the thread starter, but currently I have a neighbor who suddenly decided that her 3 previously strictly indoor cats are too much for her to bear, so she just let them out. Here, in the Middle East, where the heat is extremely cruel outside. Months before she was wondering why her 2 boys were fighting and I said it was because of her 3rd cat (a female) so I suggested that all be spayed/neutered which in fairness she did. So I thought it was getting along well. Then suddenly the other day she just said, "I already let my cats out. I cannot take care of them anymore."

She even asked me to take in one of her cats, but I already have a lot on my plate, plus another 2 newly-rescued newly-born kittens abandoned by their mama (whom this same neighbor also was initially taking care outside, and now I have to take over feeding her!). The only pet shelter here is overloaded.

And I am heartbroken. Her 3 cats cannot survive outside as they were raised as indoor cats, plus considering also the cruel elements such as the heat and the sand storm. So when I read similar stories but end with a happy note such as this post, I am relieved.

JoyM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Animal lovers can be extremely passionate... and occasionally harsh. It comes from a place of love but it can come across as judgmental. I hope this doesn’t dissuade you from continuing to be a part of this online community and to reach out when you need advice.
I know you were frustrated, upset and didn’t know what to do or where to turn. It’s not easy being a human parent or pet parent and sometimes they can clash when you are both.
You had your heart broken seeing your kitty traumatized and injured and no amount of criticism will stick with you as much as that. I’m sooo sorry you and your kitty went through this and I hope everything has gotten better. I understand why you wouldn’t want to respond after the reaction of a few people but please reach out if you need advice about how to make indoor life better for the both of you.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This post pulled a string in my heart. No offense to the thread starter, but currently I have a neighbor who suddenly decided that her 3 previously strictly indoor cats are too much for her to bear, so she just let them out. Here, in the Middle East, where the heat is extremely cruel outside. Months before she was wondering why her 2 boys were fighting and I said it was because of her 3rd cat (a female) so I suggested that all be spayed/neutered which in fairness she did. So I thought it was getting along well. Then suddenly the other day she just said, "I already let my cats out. I cannot take care of them anymore."

She even asked me to take in one of her cats, but I already have a lot on my plate, plus another 2 newly-rescued newly-born kittens abandoned by their mama (whom this same neighbor also was initially taking care outside, and now I have to take over feeding her!). The only pet shelter here is overloaded.

And I am heartbroken. Her 3 cats cannot survive outside as they were raised as indoor cats, plus considering also the cruel elements such as the heat and the sand storm. So when I read similar stories but end with a happy note such as this post, I am relieved.
There is a difference between letting them outside and kicking them out and abandoning their care. In many states the latter is illegal. It's like dumping them on a highway or throwing them off a bridge. If they are your pets you are required to care for them or find them someone or someplace that can. Cat and kitten dumping often happens but like I said it is often illegal. But how are you going to prove anything??

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
There is a difference between letting them outside and kicking them out and abandoning their care. In many states the latter is illegal. It's like dumping them on a highway or throwing them off a bridge. If they are your pets you are required to care for them or find them someone or someplace that can. Cat and kitten dumping often happens but like I said it is often illegal. But how are you going to prove anything??
Actually she continues to feed these cats but from outside, but never letting them inside her flat anymore. One of her cats seems so confused as she was used to life strictly indoors and all of a sudden, this. And in this current temperature here in Doha right now, I deem it too cruel. An able, strong human being cannot even stand 15 minutes straight outside, what more of these poor babies! She still continues to declare her love for her cats, though. Tried to talk to her many times about this. She just cries and that's it. :(