Insecure cats

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2 of our cats are very insecure.

One, Cleo, is feral insecure, with cats, with people(she tolerates me the most). She loves a good stroking, but gets overstimulated or back in feral state and she'll nip. She's turning 3 next month and most of her life she has lived in a 'cage'. It's her home base and she does explore out of it but one sound, one startle and she's right back in. I have tried play but as soon as another cat joins in, she's in her base and will not move nor try again.

The other, Baby, is old age insecure, she had a weird fall which did something to her tail. Vet said it wasn't broken but she had a lump at the base of her tail for quite a while. She is also sensitive to urinary problems when stressed and I suspect she also has nose polyps. She's 13 now. She has chosen the metal crate on top of Cleo's cage where I had her to recover from her fall. She will come out but one startle and she'll climb back in using a scratcher I have standing there.

There are 2 other cats, Thirteen and Amaya, in the same room, they were bullied a lot in the biggest group and they're both real sweet girls but curious. I try to play with Cleo, Amaya joins in and Cleo is gone. Thirteen will just go in to Cleo's base and lie on her pillow and Cleo will remain on her top shelve until I get Thirteen out.

Because of the 2 cages the room is extremely small. There's is a bit of room to run, climb, jump, sit in the window, but it's smoll.

Now ideally I want to evict the cages and have the 4 girls living together but I am worried what that will do to the mental state of both Cleo and Baby.

Any tips on how to do this?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can separate the cats for a short time for individual play time, a wand toy can be a great help in building confidence. Something like "Da Bird," which has a long, springy wand and a long string. There is something about successfully "hunting, catching and killing" prey that can help even shy cats feel more at ease. Don't rush this, though. Leave the crates in place until you make some headway.

Now, about "Da Bird." There are several similar toys on the market, and most give you a choice of interchangable "prey" items...A bundle of feathers (bird) or a little articulated lizard or a mouse. You may have to experiment a bit to see which one trips which cat's trigger. And really get into it...don't just wiggle that wand, or flop it around. BE THE PREY, try to mimic its movements. Birds should swoop and soar, and occasionally flutter on the ground. Mice and lizards skitter along. It's also a great bonding exercise for you and your cats.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you really really need the space I would leave things as is and allow each to have what they consider to be their safe space. I expect that this is more important to them than additional room to play. My concern with removing the cages is that you may see other forms of insecure behavior like inappropriate elimination or a general increase in their anxiety.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can separate the cats for a short time for individual play time, a wand toy can be a great help in building confidence. Something like "Da Bird," which has a long, springy wand and a long string. There is something about successfully "hunting, catching and killing" prey that can help even shy cats feel more at ease. Don't rush this, though. Leave the crates in place until you make some headway.

Now, about "Da Bird." There are several similar toys on the market, and most give you a choice of interchangable "prey" items...A bundle of feathers (bird) or a little articulated lizard or a mouse. You may have to experiment a bit to see which one trips which cat's trigger. And really get into it...don't just wiggle that wand, or flop it around. BE THE PREY, try to mimic its movements. Birds should swoop and soar, and occasionally flutter on the ground. Mice and lizards skitter along. It's also a great bonding exercise for you and your cats.
It was like reading a comment from The Catdaddy himself, hihi. I'm a huge fan of his shows and his advises. He inspires me to give my cats a good quality of life. If I were to meet a famous person it would be him. I knew play could boost confidence but it's hard when you can't even coax the kitty out. I ordered some feather toys, I can't get the Jackson toys, I want them badly though🤭 especially with that handy wand.

Cleo originally came to us with her brother,Jules, from a farm. From the beginning she was a bit difficult to tame. Jules is better but when cornered he can still deliver a nasty bite(I wanted to deworm him and he bit my pinkie, right through the nail).
Cleo was doing ok in the birg group at first but then it was like she was feeling lost, I tried to introduce her to a smaller group but she tends to keep to herself and other cats seem to scare her now.

When she was younger she had this sad look, like all the world weighed on her shoulder...
Cleo (23).jpg

Unless you really really need the space I would leave things as is and allow each to have what they consider to be their safe space. I expect that this is more important to them than additional room to play. My concern with removing the cages is that you may see other forms of insecure behavior like inappropriate elimination or a general increase in their anxiety.
I understand yes and I would but I can't imagine they are really happy like this. Cleo does show off for a nice pet, rolling around when I'm in the room and Baby, who's been with me her whole life, also wants that attention. So I wish I could take their anxiety and have them in the room. I have plans to make it into a nice cat room with shelves and a little cat highway. But I need the wall and the cages are in front of it now

One of the times I managed to get Cleo out. When I moved she was right back in. Part of her base is on the left.Her eye looks weird because of the flash but she can see perfectly.
P1000685.JPG

And sweet Baby.
Baby (45).JPG

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps you could block the entrance to the crates for just a few minutes at a time, and slowly extend the times as the cats gain more confidence? You'd have to block off other hiding spots at the same time. Mind you, only for a few minutes at a time!

And thank you for such a lovely compliment!