Insect Protection

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My wife is plagued by midges & gets bitten every time we go out for a walk in the woods. They seem to ignore me, either my skin is tough as old boots, or I don't taste very nice.

Our favourite outdoor clothing company (rohan.co.uk) produces insect resistant clothing which is impregnated with permethrin. I check up on it & although it's pretty harmless to humans, it is toxic to cats. (Permethrin poisoning in cats | International Cat Care)

Can anyone recommend some other product, or natural remedy that can help my wife, but be perfectly safe for both her & our cat?

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
In the US, we have a terrific product called Deep Woods Formula Off. It works well for most insects. You might try citronella, too. It's a good, if smelly, repellant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip.

BTW I was checking essential oils toxic to cats & thought that this may be useful to members. (I don't think Deep Woods has any of the toxic ingredients as far as I can see.)

Essential Oils Potentially Toxic to Cats
These oils are known to contain phenols and be toxic to cats:

• Wintergreen oil
  • Peppermint oil
  • Citrus oil (including lemon oil)
  • Tea tree oil (melaleuca oil)
  • Pine oil
  • Eucalyptus oil
  • Cinnamon oil
  • Pennyroyal oil
  • Sweet birch oil
  • Clove oil
  • Ylang ylang oil

The higher the concentration of essential oil, the greater the risk to your cat. If your cat ingests any oils accidentally, go to the veterinarian immediately.
Are Essential Oils Dangerous to Cats?

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't forget that dental floss may have a mint flavor. While it may not have enough to be toxic. cats will dig it out of the trash and ot can get tangled around the intestine

Most of you probably know this but just in case...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good point. But Coojee has a thing for trash bins, so we can only use secure ones now.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this available in the UK?
Natural Bug Blend™ Bug Repellent Spray

I used this on my kids when they were smaller. It smells much better than regular bug spray and seems to work well. We live in the country so mosquitoes and ticks are a concern here. My DD is naturally more resistant to mosquito bites. My DS and I get bitten more quickly and more often even when we are all out together. I've even had to take DS to the doctor because a bite near his ear made the bottom half of his eye swell when he was a tot. :cringe:

If you don't have that brand; maybe another one designed for babies would be good.