Insect Based Dog And Cat Food

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think cats and dogs eat live insects for the pleasure of the hunt, but I've never seen them eat a dead bug.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I raise insects to eat; my cat used to like to eat them but was bit by one somehow and now has a phobia. Still tries to eat daddy long legs and flies; though. Dunno.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wait wait, you eat them yourself? :eek3:
Yep, I had superworms and crickets but they all died off a month back because I was too busy with specter; but I'm gonna re-build a colony sooner or later. They're healthier than most meats! And better on the planet... And cheaper.. There isn't really a downside. I also just catch wild insects and cook and eat them; specifically grass hoppers and locusts.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There isn't really a downside. I also just catch wild insects and cook and eat them; specifically grass hoppers and locusts.
Different strokes for different folks but as long as you enjoy cooking and eating them then why not. :thumbsup: Just out of curiosity, how long have you been eating insects?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Different strokes for different folks but as long as you enjoy cooking and eating them then why not. :thumbsup: Just out of curiosity, how long have you been eating insects?
For about a year now! Just started eating mammals as well, but looking to do insects instead when i get a proper colony set up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hijack:

Let's keep the topic to insect based pet food :) I'm sure some insects are pretty high in protein but you'd still need a lot of them to get enough protein for a cat's or dog's daily need :think:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hijack:

Let's keep the topic to insect based pet food :) I'm sure some insects are pretty high in protein but you'd still need a lot of them to get enough protein for a cat's or dog's daily need :think:
Pound for pound, insects have as much protein as other meats. Yeah, it does take a lot of individual insects!

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Meh, coming from an insect eater; that's false. It really just depends on the types used. For example, locusts; grass hoppers, certain species of cricket, and many roach species grow to be very large and worthwhile compared to worms.
e4f54d1e85d5c1d8762afe7e19c4b24c.jpg

The issue I'm having is.. What insects are being used, as the skin and "shell" of insects isn't great.
320fed636524425b8cee2f599a3b730e_18.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, chitin really jams things up. Reptile owners sometimes find that out the hard way.

Silkworms are commonly eaten, and low in chitin. My SIL is Laotian and she always buys snack packs of seasoned silkworms at the Asian market, and their 2-year-old eats them right up. Bonus---you can get silk from them first.

I hope we're on a path to use more insects in human and pet food. The environmental impact is a lot lower and animal welfare concerns are minimized (bugs don't mind living in a box; pigs do).