Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kirkulese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been taking care of two cats whose owner has been avoiding messaging since July 20. I live in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I have pretty severe allergies to cats, so I've been spending about USD$25.00 a month on allergy pills.

My landlord has informed me that pets are not allowed on the premises, but I still sneak the fat cat inside at night and sometimes during the day. Otherwise, he spends his time in hiding and gets his ass handed to him regularly by the neighborhood strays.

Now the cat is bleeding on the floors. His paw is definitely messed up. I'm looking at either having to pay for a taxi (round trip) and then pay for a vet without having any idea as to whether or not I'll be reimbursed.

I have two questions for the forum:

1. Is there a way to treat this open wound/sore without visiting a vet? I can get the necessary gauze and other supplies - I'm mostly worried about infection

2. How frequently will the cat need to be let outside and for roughly how long each time? I can't bring the litter box inside as the landlord has been over more frequently that usual after noticing the cats and the odor from the litter box is strong

I'll get the IMG_3615.JPG
IMG_3615.JPG

Attachments

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks awful. It's probably infected. I would take the cat to the vet asap. Swelling like that is never a good thing.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Soaking the paw in epsim salt water mix will help it heal but the cat needs a shot of antibiotics to treat the infection itself.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wash the paw with hydrogen peroxide to ward off infection. I don't know about letting him outside as it could easily get infected out there. If there is any white or yellow discharge, it already is infected.

Can you fix a small litter pan for him and empty it immediately so there's no odor?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kirkulese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's no discharge and I've done a small litter box. I've only got 70% peroxide, so I don't know how much I'd have to water it down to avoid making the experience too painful. I couldn't find the salts, but I got a pretty late start. It's close to 11:00 pm here. I've got an appointment with a vet tomorrow and I'll hide the cat inside for the next few days.

He's a good cat and none of this is his fault. I just wish his owner would take a little responsibility. I was supposed to have these cats for a weekend starting in late May and we're in September and I don't even know when the owner is coming back.

I'll check online to see about how much peroxide to water mix ratio I should try. If you read this in the next hour or so and you have any idea as to what the mixture should be, please post a reply.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You are going to hate me for posting this, but I have read too many articles on hydrogen peroxide not helping because it actually damages healthy tissues while disinfecting the wound.

Do you have a 24 hour pharmacy somewhere in the area, or even a convenience store of some sort?

Using something as simple as a saline eye wash would be better. Antiseptic solutions that contain either povidone iodine or chlorhexidine diacetate as the active ingredient. These two should be diluted with water. Povidone should be diluted to the color of weak tea; chlorhexidine should be diluted to pale blue.

You can also use chamomile tea bags (if you have German only, not English, and no additives). Brew a bag in water, chill the liquid, and dab it on the wound with cotton balls. The tea has both soothing and healing properties.

Worse case scenario, use just plain water.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you do use iodine, dilute it first (color of weak tea). And, then, I would 'rinse' most of it off with the saline solution - that is unless you can keep the gauze on his paw to keep him from licking the iodine. You want to try to keep him from ingesting the iodine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kirkulese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He handled it quite well. I diluted the iodine and then rinsed it off with the saline solution. I'd bought some gauze pads and a wrap, but he was less amenable to being wrapped up. I'll see what the vet says tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.