Injured

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My stray kitten I’ve taken in came back injured. She’s not putting any weight on her right hind leg & it’s swollen a good bit. It almost seems like her hip is out of place. It may be broken but I’m not sure. It’s hard to tell in any pictures.
the earliest I can get her into a vet is Tuesday maybe Monday.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Oh no! Until she can see a vet, try to keep her contained and resting. Be prepared for plenty of protest behaviors such as pacing and mrrreowling. You could try soothing harp music and extra comfort grooming to help ease her boredom. I find that containment in a small room works best but you will need to reduce jumping possibilities - bathrooms are good except for the counters. If it's not too much trouble, simple adjustments such as putting the mattress directly on the floor and a temporary low-sided litterbox help to rest the injured area. If the injury is bad, you can put a cheap blue tarp on top of an old flannel sheet spread out & then pile some cat litter on top of a piece of cardboard - cats' instincts to use a litter box on so strong that they prefer to not use puppy pads. The boxes from the produce department have low sides and the flats from water bottles have even lower sides. Please keep us updated!!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My stray kitten I’ve taken in came back injured. She’s not putting any weight on her right hind leg & it’s swollen a good bit. It almost seems like her hip is out of place. It may be broken but I’m not sure. It’s hard to tell in any pictures.
the earliest I can get her into a vet is Tuesday maybe Monday.
Would you consider taking her in to an emergency vet? How old is the kitten?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to wait till I get paid again, which is tonight and I’m not sure if the emergency clinic near us is open on the weekend’s. And I’m really thinking it’s just out of place...I know it’s painful but she won’t stay still long enough To do anything. She hardly lets me pet her and for me to get her into a carrier would a pain.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I took “him” to the vet...turns out she is a he. And it was not good news. He has a hernia and fractured femur. It would be roughly $2k to get everything back to good...if they can. They might have to amputate it. And since he is an outside cat the vet said he most likely wouldn’t survive with 3 legs against all the coyotes and dogs around our house. I can’t bring him inside.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i could but he’s not disabled yet. I can’t afford to amputate his leg.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah I know. It’s just hard. He finally got loved by a human only to get put down a few months later. I wish there was more I could do but $2k is a lot of money to put into an outside cat. He has two days worth of pain meds & I might see if I can get him put down Saturday or sometime early next week.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are ways to get financial help for vet bills. Some veterinary schools offer help and there are groups that provide funding. I know that is a lot of money but if you wanted to try and save him it is possible. If you are interested then you can either post back or google financial help for vet bills.
Maybe some of our other members could weigh in here as well.
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
Furballsmom Furballsmom

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Try something here (apologies for any dead links);

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Let's get this posted on Facebook!! There is help out there!! I am glad you have pain meds for this sweety! Can you try a low cost clinic?? What state are you in???!!! Please let us help! I apologize for my words earlier---it's just hard to see a kitty or any animal in pain...is there a way to temporarily set the leg or something???

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to give every one an update! He is doing good now!! He’s walking on his leg and that mass an disappeared. The vet was wrong. It was not a hernia. It was an infection that grew a pocket of something under his skin but the antibiotics worked and he’s playing and jumping again.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is great to hear Bri1976 :) , it sounds like an abcess then, i am happy that your cat is now moving around better.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I just wanted to give every one an update! He is doing good now!! He’s walking on his leg and that mass an disappeared. The vet was wrong. It was not a hernia. It was an infection that grew a pocket of something under his skin but the antibiotics worked and he’s playing and jumping again.
SO GLAD TO HEAR!!!!!

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes that’s the word! I couldn’t think of it. But he’s doing good. Now he’s just getting to be a chunky mister. If y’all want to see pictures y’all can find my other post on naming him