Injured Stray Kitten

Caralayne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a stray - very feral kitten about 3 weeks ago that rode home with me under my car, he has been in hiding until about 2 days ago. I finally was able to catch him , and now he lets me hold him. I have him safe inside in a large room to himself bc I have dogs and cats of my own. He has a very swollen neck and can’t meow very well, initially I thought he had been bitten by a snake bc he has 2 puncture wounds under neck. This morning it was bleeding after I cleaned it well last night . Starting to suspect a cat bite instead of snake . I’m wanting to give him antibiotics , but all I have is amoxicillin capsules 500 mg. Is there a way to break this down for the kitten to take for infection ? I’ll post picture of bite

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please do not try to medicate this kitten on your own. He needs proper vet care. Please do not give him any antibiotics without knowing what is wrong. Only a vet can make this decision.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with shadowsrescue that he needs to see a vet for a thorough check-up and proper medication. It is great that he allows you to hold him -- will make it much easier to get him to the vet! Thank you so much for caring about this little kitten. He is lucky to have found you.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's swollen alright.
My first guess would be an abscess, which are painful and full of nasty stuff and infection. He needs a vet, I wouldn't treat this one at home, and hopefully it should be a one time visit.
I hope he feels better and thank you for taking him in :wave3:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand so well that money can be an issue as far as seeing a vet. Maybe rescues in the area could help you out with one that will work with you on the price. Petfinder has almost every rescue and shelter in the country listed.
:yeah:
Our low cost spay/neuter clinic has a team of vets and students come in to do the spays and neuters. If you have a reputable low cost clinic in your area, they might be able to give you some good referrals to help save some cash.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found a stray - very feral kitten about 3 weeks ago that rode home with me under my car, he has been in hiding until about 2 days ago. I finally was able to catch him , and now he lets me hold him. I have him safe inside in a large room to himself bc I have dogs and cats of my own. He has a very swollen neck and can’t meow very well, initially I thought he had been bitten by a snake bc he has 2 puncture wounds under neck. This morning it was bleeding after I cleaned it well last night . Starting to suspect a cat bite instead of snake . I’m wanting to give him antibiotics , but all I have is amoxicillin capsules 500 mg. Is there a way to break this down for the kitten to take for infection ? I’ll post picture of bite
Feral Cat Foundation has a guide for foster "parents" that might be of help to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caralayne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the advice . I ran into an old friend today and told her about the kitten (kitten has a name now “Sammy”) she runs a rescue and has offered to take Sammy to see her vet! He is feeling better tonight. He’s happy to see me when I go in to check on him and wants me to hold him .hes also enjoying his new bed . Swelling is down some , and He is eating better . it’s amazing how he will let me hold him , if y’all could of only seen us on day 1, spending hours laying under my car trying to get him out instead of being at work like I was suppose to lol !!
SN: we have ONE vet in our small town, I took my cat a few months ago for a Cold and she was given a prescription for amoxicillin, the visit ended up costing us close to $500 ! and that something we just couldn’t afford to do again .

Attachments

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some universities have low-cost consultation available (for their students to practice, since there is a number of consultations required for a student to graduate - in some countries).

I do not know how it is in your area, but I think it is worth checking.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the advice . I ran into an old friend today and told her about the kitten (kitten has a name now “Sammy”) she runs a rescue and has offered to take Sammy to see her vet! He is feeling better tonight. He’s happy to see me when I go in to check on him and wants me to hold him .hes also enjoying his new bed . Swelling is down some , and He is eating better . it’s amazing how he will let me hold him , if y’all could of only seen us on day 1, spending hours laying under my car trying to get him out instead of being at work like I was suppose to lol !!
SN: we have ONE vet in our small town, I took my cat a few months ago for a Cold and she was given a prescription for amoxicillin, the visit ended up costing us close to $500 ! and that something we just couldn’t afford to do again .
That's the best news about your kitten ! And I understand completely about how expensive vet visits can be. So glad you found some help and that he's doing better !! You're such a good person to work so hard to save him !!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were your boss, and I knew why you were late, I'd give you a secret pay increase for being a good person :hellocomputer:
It's great Sammy will see a vet soon. If your friend can, they may get a cost quote on having him neutered so you have an idea on what that will cost and, if it's high, you can call around to some local low cost places to compare. Your friend that runs the rescue might be able to help you out on that one, too.