Injured Cat Desperately Needs Tail Surgery - Time is Critical

anawaring

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My name is Ana and I care deeply about cats, especially those who have been abandoned. I am trying to find help for an outdoor kitty that lives on my landlord's backyard and was found with her tail severed, and badly infected, her tail is hanging. She isn't my cat and my husband and I give her and her siblings food and water. We found them a few months ago right after their mom died and decided to buy them food. We can't keep them because our landlords won't allow animals and my husband has asthma. We found her like this about 5 days ago and it wasn't bad in the beginning, it seemed like her tail was broken, but now a few days after, her tail is hanging. She let us apply anti-septic on her wounds but clearly the kitty needs more veterinary attention. She is still eating and drinking water, but I noticed she has a fever. 

We decided we had to help this poor kitty that we named Jezabel but we can't take her to the vet because we can't afford it. I am unemployed and my husband doesn't have the means to take her to the vet. Her situation is heartbreaking and I don't know what to do except asking for help. 

Jezz desperately needs surgery, as her tail is hanging and an open wound! Right now, she is resting more comfortably in a quiet room. She needs surgery to remove the remainder of the tail so that the skin can be stitched together to heal properly. I cannot afford the surgery on my own. We called local vets and estimated the surgery will cost $670, so this is what I need to raise. Please help me give Jezz the surgery she desperately needs. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Despite Jezz’s horrific injury, she is a sweet, loving, and trusting cat that deserves another chance at a healthy, happy life. I am praying we can raise enough money to give her this chance.

Please share this campaign!

Thank you and may God bless you all!

This is the campaign link:

And this is a video I made of here a few hours back:

Look how her tail is hanging. She's in a lot of pain.

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
To all members, a reminder that it is YOUR responsibility to check out these solicitors to the best of your ability.

Ask for references, phone numbers, call around the area and find out if this is a legitimate cause or a scam.

Thecatsite.com does not stand behind any solicitation of funds for any reason that appear in the forums unless explicitly authorized.

Be very careful before you send any money: no matter how effective the plea is, check it out first before opening your wallet.

For more information, see Pleas for Money.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its not sure you need minimum 670 dollars.  There may be cheaper vets.

Try and find a vet who is doing cheap spaying for homeless cats - there are several such organisations....   Sorry, I dont have the links on this computer.

The same vet will probably also do some other treatments, cheaper than your average fashionable vet clinic.

Tail amputation isnt that complicated.  I know even small free time practicioners may do it, if they arent entirely unexperienced, that is.

Good luck!

ps.   Here I found one of my posts.  If you are in USA you can use them:

StefanZ did wrote: "I will later give some adresses for how get hold of cheap spaying places.  The same places are probably also giving cheaper vet help than the average fashionable vet clinic."

cheap  spaying::
If you are in the U.S. ,  the ASPCA has an online database.  http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/spayneuter

Or here is a hotline number that will find you a low cost clinic in your area  1-800-248-7729.  

Alsp, there is  www.spayusa.org

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

anawaring

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anyone could help me find an inexpensive veterinarian close to my area I would greatly appreciate or even a place I could finance her treatment. My zip code is 11706.

I kept calling animal shelters today, and some animal hospitals and I found a place that would perform the surgery for $500 +45 for the veterinarian to see her.

I created the campaign because I thought I'd be a way to get the funds, but I understand how internet is and how people take advantage of good humans. 

The animal hospital I called today that gave me the last price was Island Rescue,  Bay Shore.

If someone of NY or this area could help I would be very grateful.

anawaring

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply!

I called a few clinics today, most of them were closed because of the snow storm outside, and the Island Rescue, Bay Shore  said that the surgery would cost $500 + $45 for the appointment with the vet.

If someone knows any place close to me 11706 that offers cheaper treatments or even financing I would be very grateful. 

I understand how internet scams are and why people should be careful who they help and how they do it. 

I just wish I could help this poor cat. She is in a lot of pain and I don't know what else I can do then watching her get worse.

I tried to apply the antiseptic ointment on her tail and it must be very painful because she hissed at me, and she would normally let me touch her tail.

Thank you again!

Ana

alisa brown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you can take her into a veterinary college they can try to take care of the issue and may be cheaper, are there any schools near you?

anawaring

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No schools close... Unfortunately... :(

I found a Hospital that will have a look at her tomorrow and the receptionist said that depending on how bad her tail is would call some pet organizations to try to help her and maybe find a home.

I'll keep you guys up do date.

I'll take the campaign page down and wait till tomorrow to see if we can get if for free or maybe cheaper.

Thank you guys!

anawaring

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you dear!

I hope God helps me help this little angel. She let me clean her tail with soap and water and then I applied an antiseptic and antibiotic ointment on the injury.

She was purring and seemed a little better. 

Hopefully tomorrow she'll be treated. :)

anawaring

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello to you all!

Just to keep you guys posted: Jezabel was taken to the vet today and her surgery will be performed. The vet also suggested to spay her.

He said her case wasn't too bad because it wasn't close to her spine. He said he's seen worse and she'll be just fine. I was relieved to know that.

She was a little scared when we took her to the hospital, but she was very brave at the same time. We are going to pick her up tomorrow morning.

We are waiting for a Foster home to get back at us about helping with the costs of her surgery and we'll be taking care of her until she recovers.

The total of the whole procedure was U$305,00, a lot better than we thought it was going to cost.

Thank you for posting those links @StefanZ  ! That's how I found the vet who's taking care of her.

I fell in love with her, she's really sweet and needy. She loves to lay down on my lap so I pet her.. lol I wish I could keep her. I am trying to think of a way of having her without making my husband's asthma worse. 

We'll see! 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a terrific update. I am so glad to hear she will be just fine. Thanks for taking care of her. I hope you can find a way to keep her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May God bless you for taking in that little girl and helping her. I know the heartache of wanting to help all the injured and sick 'throwaways' we get around here, there just is no way to save them all. Good luck and please keep us posted!

alisa brown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great I am glad you found someone to give her care. I hope you can keep her too but if not I am sure you will make sure she gets a good home.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad you have found a home for her and were able to get her medical attention.

I would also look into Trap Neuter Return programs for her remaining siblings.

anawaring

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@hexiesfriend  I hope to see her like that soon! 

Guys, do you have any advices on how to take care of her after spaying? I really don' t know anything about it.

I also took the two brothers inside because of the snow, should I be worried about keep her with them around?

One of the boys is acting weird... I caught him humping on his brother, I was shocked to see that... And he seems to be very agitated/nervous. 

When he did that I felt bad for his brother because the brother is very quiet and sweet, he would just run every time. I separated them and put the humping cat in a room and closed the door, he was meowing loudly.

Them I opened the door and left them for a minute, when I came back he was trying to eat the chicken I was defrosting on the sink.

I brought them home before many times (whenever the weather is bad outside) and he never acted like that. Can it be because he's missing his sister? 

I know males don't go into heat. I just found his behavior weird and different from before....

Thank you!

loopycann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honey,god bless you and your husband.I have and 8 resue kitties.5 are long hair. They don't make it that much worse but vacuuming,and air filter work wonders.Cats can even alleviate symtoms byosoothings nerves that can bring on an attack..:rbheart::chescat:

loopycann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of tis before.cats don't hump when they mate.More than likely he was playing rough with his brother.put them back together.A female cat has to be in heat before a male will even approach her and I guarantee you them kitties know the difference between a boy and a female in heat.cat s when they mate ,the male will hang around the female for a day or so following and sniffing before approaching her to bite the back of the neck and lower himself on her back.There is no humping.motion what so ever.Rest easy.:kitty2:

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I cannot leave food out for 30 seconds or my cats would eat it. Put in oven or microwave (off) to defrost.

alisa brown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After Spaying you want to make sure she doesn't jump off of things too much and I would put a litterbox that has torn paper in it not litter for a few days.