Initiating Play But Immediately Scared

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Former stray 9 year old Rocky (rescued when approximately 3) has always had the typical senior cat dislike for 3 year old Clyde, who we adopted as a kitten. Its improved with time, but she still doesn't like or at least doesn't trust him, and it is super rare to see them play at all. Where I've seen it last for a bit is when Rocky is on a chair or they are playing through a crack or something. Today, Rocky initiated play on open ground with a traditional stare down and tail wag, and once Clyde got around to touching her in routine play, Rocky *immediately* hissed and disengaged. Shortest play session ever -- and Rocky started it!

I don't do anything special to try and increase their bond. Always looking to see if they can progress further on their own now that Clyde is older and a bit more chill, but you really have to squint to see progress. Like this, was this progress???

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Too funny, but kind of sad at the same time! It would seem like maybe a tad bit of progress - at least Rocky initiated it, despite the fact that she almost instantly retreated.

How does Rocky play with you? Does she ever retreat? I know Feeby has done that to me, start to play and then all of a sudden get up and leave. Almost like she was annoyed by it even if she did start it. Have not found an answer for that one yet...

Is Rocky smaller than Clyde? Could she be a little intimated by his size?

Do they both like treats? If so, you can get a few (more than one) treat toy dispensers and try and see if they would interact some with each other while trying to go after treats in the toys?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner - Rocky plays normally with us; no retreating. The size difference is the other way -- Rocky is 11 pounds, Clyde is 8.2! I don't know if treat sessions will work; they already eat together, although they mostly just take turns. Little Clyde is less food driven and will let her eat first.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ah - I kind of knew it couldn't be that simple, or you would have already figured it out. I've seen you on this site, so I know you know your way around cats!! Just thought I would throw it out there anyway.

As long as neither are being negatively affected otherwise, I guess your approach is the right one. Sounds like they have already established their pecking order, and apparently Clyde is OK with that? That being the case, I guess you just have to let your diva Rocky do it on her own time.

But, I am sure others who have been around the 'multi-cat house' block (I have not) will come up with some more creative ways of helping you nudge Rocky in the right direction!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully that was progress and Rocky will try instigating play with Clyde again, and maybe will actually play a little bit next time. :catman: