Initial Vaccinations for an Older Cat

Marta43

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good Morning,
I have recently adopted an approximately 8 year old formerly stray male cat. We had him neutered, and tested for leukemia and FIV. He is negative for leukemia, but unfortunately dose have FIV.

He also received his vaccinations and I was told by our Vet that because he is an older cat, it is not necessary to bring him back for a second dose in 3 to 4 weeks like we have done with all of my other younger cats. (even though we assume this was the first time he was ever vaccinated).

I have searched for information regarding cat vaccines online, and keep reading that they need that second dose. Dose anyone have any experience with vaccinating older cats for the first time? I want to make sure he is protected, and I do trust my vet, but I just keep reading contradictory information.

Thanks so much for any advice or info you can provide.
This is Tom btw :)

Attachments

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hallo! I imagine you are from US so my answer from a small town in Germany may not be appropriate but ....... the organisation I work for does not vaccinate older cats at all. Your lovely Tom has been out on the streets and has already contacted FIV so he has no doubt already been exposed to the most infectious cat diseases and is now immune. The only exception would be rabies, if that is a problem in your area. But for rabies, one shot is (or was) enough. I make sure my own cats are vaccinated fairly regularly but my foster, ex-alley cats - generally over 5 years old - are not. I have bought young cats from shelters who have always at least had their first shots as have all the kittens we rehome (unless for health reasons, vaccinating has to be postponed, in which case the new owners receive a voucher to cover the cost). But older cats? We don't vaccinate and we don't insist that the new owners do either. It's up to them and their chosen vet, of course.

Perhaps this will help you understand your vet's point of view.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marta43

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hallo! I imagine you are from US so my answer from a small town in Germany may not be appropriate but ....... the organisation I work for does not vaccinate older cats at all. Your lovely Tom has been out on the streets and has already contacted FIV so he has no doubt already been exposed to the most infectious cat diseases and is now immune. The only exception would be rabies, if that is a problem in your area. But for rabies, one shot is (or was) enough. I make sure my own cats are vaccinated fairly regularly but my foster, ex-alley cats - generally over 5 years old - are not. I have bought young cats from shelters who have always at least had their first shots as have all the kittens we rehome (unless for health reasons, vaccinating has to be postponed, in which case the new owners receive a voucher to cover the cost). But older cats? We don't vaccinate and we don't insist that the new owners do either. It's up to them and their chosen vet, of course.

Perhaps this will help you understand your vet's point of view.
Hi! Yes, I am from the US (Texas). Thank you so much for the information. I hadn't really thought about the fact that he has likely developed some immunity through possible exposures. That does make sense, and I feel better about it. Rabies is a very big problem where I live, so we have all 9 of our cats vaccinated yearly. Strays show up at my place quite often, and we try to spay/neuter/vaccinate them if they stay around.
Again, thank you so much for your reply. It is greatly appreciated.
Best Regards,
Marta