Ingrown claw embedded in Sugar's pad

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
We were just clipping Sugar's claws and one of them actually curled into her right front pad! We were mortified, and feel just terrible, we should've done a better job of keeping up with this. We tried to do something to it but she was really not having any of that so we stopped and will have to take her to the vet, but I hope they don't have to sedate her as she was the one a few years ago that almost died from a TERRIBLE reaction to the anesthesia when they took off a cancerous growth and removed some teeth, and 1 week and $12,000 later she was better so we don't want a repeat of that at all! I read about it and it seems like they will be able to deal with it somewhat easy, just wondering if anyone has ever seen this before?

Thank you

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it happened to one of my older girls and I felt just the same way. As they age their claws get thicker and dont wear down as much and they can curl and grow into their paws. My vet clinic was able to trim the claw without sedation and thereafter she went back every three months for claw trims.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it happened to one of my older girls and I felt just the same way. As they age their claws get thicker and dont wear down as much and they can curl and grow into their paws. My vet clinic was able to trim the claw without sedation and thereafter she went back every three months for claw trims.
Okay thank you! Deb also looked it up an it said it happens more as they get older. I'll make an appointment tomorrow for her. She came running into the bathroom to see Deb as she usually does last night so it can't be all that painful I guess, but we were not expecting to see that and felt just horrible, she is such a good, gentle girl, and after that ordeal that she and we went through a few years ago we feel so attached to her even more than we had before that, that was awful but she and we made it through it, but it was horrible.

Thank you!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I happened to an older cat of mine as well, and also with a dewclaw on a dog years ago. I don't think that this should require sedation if a couple of vet techs can just restrain her for a little bit.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
We took her to the vet tonight and she was able to take care of the problem in a matter of minutes, she said it wasn't very bad at all thank God!! She also said the ones who were there that remembered that horrible reaction Sugar had just about had PTSD as they recalled how awful that episode was!!

Thanks for the replies!! :rbheart:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to say when Deb brought the carrier up to take Sugar Sylvester went flying down to the family room and hid behind the sofa, he thought he was going lol!!! But that's not until April 12th for his checkup and grooming, so we know what we have to look forward to with him that day! :runaround: :eek2: :dizzy: :clapcat: