Inflexible Tail (scottish Fold)

Kat.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My scottish fold kitten is about 9 months now. I got him from a breeder and only one parent had a folded ear gene. I never had cats before so I honestly didn't know how a tail should look but I friend of mine visited recently and off-handedly commented on how his tail looks kind of fat and stiff I'm I've been googling all day and I'm really concerned? None of the others symptoms apply at the moment, he's very playfull and runs around all the time, he never hesitates to jump but his tail seems to be on the shorter side and is very stiff. It stays pretty straight and couldn't curl it or wrap around something. Should I be concerned? I will obviously ask the vet about it but I was't planning to go for another three months (when his shot is due) and I know I'll go crazy until then haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi @pink-baloon,
honestly, I wouldn't wait three months. I would call him earlier and take an appointment.

One more question, how comes that your cat is 9 months old and he will get his next shot in 3 months time?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the vet said next vaccination will be needed when the cat is a year old.. Or maybe it was a year after his first vaccinations? I can't remember right now, I have it written down somewhere. Either way it's still a long time from now and I'm a worried that this could be a sign of congenital osteodystrophy or something.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the vet said next vaccination will be needed when the cat is a year old.. Or maybe it was a year after his first vaccinations? I can't remember right now, I have it written down somewhere. Either way it's still a long time from now and I'm a worried that this could be a sign of congenital osteodystrophy or something.
Exactly, it is a year after the second injection (or booster). So if your cat had the first shot, say, at 2 months, the booster at 3 months, then the next shot is due when he's 1 year and 3 months old, so it's at least 6 months from now.
You don't want to wait that long.
That's why I say you'd better call your vet and see what they think to do.

Fahimeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

Sorry I don’t have any advice but my cat is in a very similar situation. I was wondering if you ever got him checked and if you had any updates?

Thank you

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site and came here for advice and support. It's good to hear that despite your Scottish Fold kitten's tail problem he is playful and not showing other symptoms. However, always check with your vet whenever you have a health related concern. Here is an Article about health issues in tails that may be helpful for you:
Health Issues In Tails

Best of luck, please keep us posted on your progress. :alright:

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My scottish fold kitten is about 9 months now. I got him from a breeder and only one parent had a folded ear gene. I never had cats before so I honestly didn't know how a tail should look but I friend of mine visited recently and off-handedly commented on how his tail looks kind of fat and stiff I'm I've been googling all day and I'm really concerned? None of the others symptoms apply at the moment, he's very playfull and runs around all the time, he never hesitates to jump but his tail seems to be on the shorter side and is very stiff. It stays pretty straight and couldn't curl it or wrap around something. Should I be concerned? I will obviously ask the vet about it but I was't planning to go for another three months (when his shot is due) and I know I'll go crazy until then haha.
Hi, sorry its been 4 years since you posted but I have same problem with my cat. Her tail is not as flexible as other cats and it feels rigid when I touch. She is 2 year old scottish fold. Have you got an answer from your vet?

thank you

Assar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, sorry its been 4 years since you posted but I have same problem with my cat. Her tail is not as flexible as other cats and it feels rigid when I touch. She is 2 year old scottish fold. Have you got an answer from your vet?

thank you
Hi Betuncay,
My 4.5 month scottish fold kitten has been developing a stiff tail, when I got her and her brother, her tail was quite shorter but did not notice that it is stiff coz it was quite short. Her brother is Scottish fold as well but his tail is normal. Now when she got a little older, her tail starts to be noticeable that it is always at her body level and is not flexible. Have you got any advice from your vet or so?
Thanks