Inflamed throat and laryngitis

Humeston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, our 7 year old cat has slight inflammation in left corner of mouth and now laryngitis. Vet said since he had a respiratory infection from new kittens in the house a month ago his body may be overreacting to that, causing the inflammation.. The cat is otherwise healthy. He did have a sore on his ear a month ago too but steorids took care of that. The vet gave steroid and antibiotic shots today but indicated he was guessing. I think I need a new vet, but anyone else have any ideas or suggestions? Does this diagnosis sound reasonable? Thanks in advance!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Laryngeal Disorders in Cats - Cat Owners - Merck Veterinary Manual

Welcome to The Cat Site! Glance over the article and see if the causes and symptoms seem to fit your cat. Does he have a hoarse type meow or cough? Remember that most articles give a very broad overview, so this is not to suggest that your cat will have a severe case. As for your vet guessing, there are two ways to look at that. If he is really guessing, then you do need to find a new vet. If he meant that he was guessing for reasons that the article mentions, which are that in order to diagnose this there has to be an endoscopic study with anesthesia, then he is trying to see if he can spare you and your cat having to do that unless things don't get better. In that case, he is trying the normal first step to see if this goes away on its own with the steroid and antibiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Humeston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for your response. Dewey has no cough. He has been making a crunching sound and moving his jaw about. Sometimes he seems to be swallowing more than usual. Actually, very slight symptoms until yesterday when his meow vanished. Opens his mouth and nothing comes out. We acquired two new kittens in June and Dewey caught a cold from them and was treated. Then he had a abrasion or sore on top of his head by his ear. That was treated. Then last week he had a fever and was treated. Now this. Total of four times to the Vet since July and close to $800. I know Dewey also dislikes the new kittens as he avoids them. Dewey is 7 years old and has been perfectly healthy his entire life until now. We used to take our cats to a cats only vet but there are none where we live now, so a little uncertain about our new vet. The vet said this might be a life long thing, reoccurring every few months, which concerns me.Thank you for your response. I think the vet may be doing his best without those other expensive tests. Appreciate your response.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is really a mystery to me. Kittens are healthy now? Are you on good enough terms with the old vet that you could speak to him about Dewey? I am not sure why this has to recur. Do you have the option for another vet not in the same practice?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did they thoroughly check out his mouth? That crunching and moving his jaw is indicative of mouth pain (usually), or sometimes some other pain, but since he also has slight swelling on one side of his mouth, I'm guessing something is wrong in his mouth, typically tooth resorption. One of my cats has this and has to have teeth pulled almost yearly. Problem is, it's not too noticeable unless the teeth are touched at the gum line and then they kind of flinch. This particular cat has an almost silent meow too, at least at the moment because he's just about due for a dental again :frown:

Humeston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is really a mystery to me. Kittens are healthy now? Are you on good enough terms with the old vet that you could speak to him about Dewey? I am not sure why this has to recur. Do you have the option for another vet not in the same practice?
Yes, the kittens are healthy now. Dewey has a twin brother and he was sick too. But all are well except for Dewey. We are searching for an all cats vet but the closest one is 90 minutes away. Our previous vet is about 2 and a half hours away, but we may have to try talking to him. Thanks again.

Humeston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did they thoroughly check out his mouth? That crunching and moving his jaw is indicative of mouth pain (usually), or sometimes some other pain, but since he also has slight swelling on one side of his mouth, I'm guessing something is wrong in his mouth, typically tooth resorption. One of my cats has this and has to have teeth pulled almost yearly. Problem is, it's not too noticeable unless the teeth are touched at the gum line and then they kind of flinch. This particular cat has an almost silent meow too, at least at the moment because he's just about due for a dental again :frown:
Today the vet did a thorough review of his mouth, teeth, tongue, gums and back of throat. He even showed me the slight redness in the back corner. No swelling that I could see. Dewey seems to be feeling better tonight, asking or treats, walking about the house normally. But he won't even try to meow yet. And this is normally a very talkative cat. It is a mystery but hopefully he will get over this soon. Thanks for your comments.

Humeston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
An update on Dewey. The antibiotic and steroid shots made him feel much better. He is even playing today. He is meowing today, but he sounds like a frog! A creaking meow, not his normal meow. He appears perfectly healthy otherwise. I still don't know what is causing this, but I am hoping his full meow will come back in time? It has been 2 and a half days since his shots.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I hope he is on the mend and stops sounding like a frog! An ER vet once told me that it can be hard to figure out what is going on with cats sometimes as they have not apparently read the same texts that the vets are given in med school.

Humeston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, it is Saturday, and Dewey was at the Vet Monday. He appears perfectly normal except for his raspy meow. He eats, drinks water, even plays occasionally. No sneezing or coughing and appears to be breathing well. He just does not have his beautiful meow back. Often nothing comes out but sometimes just a raspy meow. Looks like we are going to need to drive him a few hours to a vet that only sees cats. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.

Humeston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news for Dewey. It took a couple of weeks but his full meow is back and he appears to be in excellent health. I still don't know what happened but he appears fine. In fact, better than fine. He is on my computer desk meowing at me as I type this as I have only given him treats three times this evening, and he is demanding more. LOL. Thanks everyone for the info and encouragement.