Inflamed lower lip :(

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

SOS...

I’m a little concerned because my 5yr old Manx cat has his lower lip swollen.... it’s not the first time it happens, maybe 3rd time. It usually goes away. He is eating, sleeping and playing like usual.

Has anyone had this problem before with your fur babies?

Thank you all in advance!! 😻

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We've had quite a bit of that show up here. It could be anything at all, but the most common cause is rodent ulcer, which can be caused by allergies to foods, allergy to fleas, or bacteria in food bowls, especially plastic bowls, which do NOT clean well. If you are using plastic, switch to metal or ceramic, and clean THOROUGHLY. I actually rinse bowls with boiling water after washing. If a switch in bowls doesn't help, make sure your flea preventative is still working, and after that, you need to start looking at food allergies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the info.
I use paper bowls at each meal.
Both my cats are indoor cats. I don’t give them flea treat, should I?
I did give them a new treat, the Detectible kind 4 days ago and have continued once daily. He loved it, literally wipes the bowl clean.
Could it be stress? I just moved in with my sister so it’s a new environment.
So glad I have this site! Thank You! 😻

We've had quite a bit of that show up here. It could be anything at all, but the most common cause is rodent ulcer, which can be caused by allergies to foods, allergy to fleas, or bacteria in food bowls, especially plastic bowls, which do NOT clean well. If you are using plastic, switch to metal or ceramic, and clean THOROUGHLY. I actually rinse bowls with boiling water after washing. If a switch in bowls doesn't help, make sure your flea preventative is still working, and after that, you need to start looking at food allergies.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, flea treat even indoor cats. Fleas are bitty opportunists, and will hitchhike in on shoes and pant legs from outdoor areas. In fact, the worst flea infestation I ever had happened when I didn't even have an animal! We'd had a warm, wet spring, and they were breeding in the grass like crazy and coming in the house! I had to send my kids to my mom's house, then spray the house and yard with malathion, a VERY dangerous pesticide. THEN let it air out for several days before bringing the kids back! When choosing a flea treatment, look for one that also prevents heartworms in cats. There is no cure for it, so prevention is key here, and since moquitoes come in all the time, even indoor-only cats are at risk!

It could well be stress. Stress causes all kinds of issues in cats, so let's keep that in mind.

Meanwhile, we may have to make you look like the bad guy to your cat. Stop the treats for a week. IF the area clears up, that's your problem, and you'll have to try another kind of treat...either a new brand or a new flavor.

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow I would have never thought that about flees. Thanks for all the info!! Good thing you got rid of them.

I will definitely search for a good one. Any suggestions anyone?

Ok I will suspend treats and avoid ANY eye contact 😹

So grateful to have this site. Appreciate you being so quick to respond :)

Yes, flea treat even indoor cats. Fleas are bitty opportunists, and will hitchhike in on shoes and pant legs from outdoor areas. In fact, the worst flea infestation I ever had happened when I didn't even have an animal! We'd had a warm, wet spring, and they were breeding in the grass like crazy and coming in the house! I had to send my kids to my mom's house, then spray the house and yard with malathion, a VERY dangerous pesticide. THEN let it air out for several days before bringing the kids back! When choosing a flea treatment, look for one that also prevents heartworms in cats. There is no cure for it, so prevention is key here, and since moquitoes come in all the time, even indoor-only cats are at risk!

It could well be stress. Stress causes all kinds of issues in cats, so let's keep that in mind.

Meanwhile, we may have to make you look like the bad guy to your cat. Stop the treats for a week. IF the area clears up, that's your problem, and you'll have to try another kind of treat...either a new brand or a new flavor.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's what we're here for! And, because our membership is large and worldwide, there's usually someone around 24/7.

HUH..try Advantage Multi. This is what their product information says:

"Choosing a heartworm and flea prevention medication for cats will also depend on if your cat is primarily a housecat or spends some time outside. If you're looking for a comprehensive combination heartworm and flea protection that will also protect your cat from roundworms, hookworms and whipworms Advantage Multi is the ideal choice."

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your a wealth of knowledge! Yes the 24/7 furpawents assistance has brought me comfort for 5 yrs 🙏🏼

I just ordered a flea pack!

Can’t thank you enough 😻

Have a great weekend!

That's what we're here for! And, because our membership is large and worldwide, there's usually someone around 24/7.

"Choosing a heartworm and flea prevention medication for cats will also depend on if your cat is primarily a housecat or spends some time outside. If you're looking for a comprehensive combination heartworm and flea protection that will also protect your cat from roundworms, hookworms and whipworms Advantage Multi is the ideal choice."

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi it’s us again 😏

I did stop giving him the new treat a few days ago and have been keeping an eye on him. It seems it gets more swollen at nights.
It isn’t really going down, I added 2 new pictures. Any advice??? 🙏🏼

Thanks

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd really feel better if you can have a vet look at that. I'm wondering if he was bitten by something.

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi, thanks for your response. I did take him to vet, she gave him a steroid shot but don’t think that did much. Swelling comes and goes. So I called my regular vet (I’m out of town) and she says this:

“Sometimes the oil glands can get blocked/infected on the chin, sometimes it can be caused by an insect bite, and sometimes it can be related to an inflammatory issues some cats have (called eosinophilic disease). A lot of times it will respond well with an antibiotic, sometimes we also have to end up doing a short course of a steroid also. I would like to try the antibiotic first with Monkey”
So I started his antibiotics today.

I'd really feel better if you can have a vet look at that. I'm wondering if he was bitten by something.