Inflamed Cat Anus

kateyaro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My cat's butthole looks irritated. There seems to be red raw patch on the right bottom side of it. He's acting completely normal and playful. Should I worry and take him to emergency tonight? Has this happened to any of your kitties? His poops have been ok lately (some mucus in it yesterday but nothing too concerning)

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That looks nasty. I'd take him to your vet. My cat had this and the vet found a bacterial overgrowth in her intestines.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
whatever happened here?  Could also be an anal gland issue.  My cat had something similar and it turned into a ruptured anal gland.  She was, however, constantly licking at it. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kateyaro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my kitty to ER vet and they had to operate. They originally thought it was an abscess but ended up being an anal gland issue. Everything is ok now, we're in a long recovery process and my kitty hates the cone but so glad I took him and so glad he's ok!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The same thing happened to my co-worker's cat.  I am happy to report that after surgery her cat made a full recovery and has not had anymore anal gland issues.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad you got this resolved. 

for a quick recovery