infected spay incision?

bitterspooky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I got my first ever girl kitty and recently got her fixed on tuesday. I’ve been extra nervous bc i know how invasive their surgery is compared to male’s surgery.

I have been gone all day so im not sure if she has been able to get at it or not but it looks different than it did this morning and is strangely discolored like it’s bruised almost? it’s yellowish. she’s still eating and drinking and playful as of now.

I may bring her into the emergency vet tomororw ti be safe but any advice is helpful to me right now because I am very nervous about it!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It's been a very long time since I have had to deal with this, but that doesn't look bad. Looking bruised would seem to be normal, not sure about the 'yellowish' to which you are referring. There seems to be no seeping or any sort of liquid coming from the site, so to me that is good. You could consider sending these pics to the vet to see if they think there is something to be worried about.

There might be some swelling in the area - also somewhat to be expected - it would appear that might be 'stretching' the incisions a bit. I know you are not home, but have you placed her in an area where she can be a bit less active than normal?

Last edited:

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The incision looks ok. It doesn’t look red or like it’s leaking anything. My cats incision was infected and it’s because she wouldn’t leave it alone! The vet kept telling me I didn’t need a cone or anything but in hindsight I wish I had gotten her one. Of your kitty licks it too much, I’d recommend getting a cone or a recovery suit to keep her from getting to it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bitterspooky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. It's been a very long time since I have had to deal with this, but that doesn't look bad. Looking bruised would seem to be normal, not sure about the 'yellowish' to which you are referring. There seems to be no seeping or any sort of liquid coming from the site, so to me that is good. You could consider sending these pics to the vet to see if they think there is something to be worried about.

There might be some swelling in the area - also somewhat to be expected - it would appear that might be 'stretching' the incisions a bit. I know you are not home, but have you placed her in an area where she can be a bit less active than normal?
they yellowish area is around it, that’s why i think it may be a bruise. my vet doesn’t open until tuesday due to the holiday but i am just going to keep a close eye on it. and she’s in my bedroom. i can’t keep her really anywhere else sadly. i am unable to lock her in my bathroom because there is a water bowl in there that my senior cat uses and he refuses to drink anywhere else! he is a mess! she’s been pretty good at relaxing in my room besides a few zoomies spells. thank you for your advice and reply!

bitterspooky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't see any issue with this incision either. You would look for redness and weeping as signs of infection.
thank you so much! i will be on the look out for that and be watching it like a hawk for that. i just worry!!

bitterspooky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The incision looks ok. It doesn’t look red or like it’s leaking anything. My cats incision was infected and it’s because she wouldn’t leave it alone! The vet kept telling me I didn’t need a cone or anything but in hindsight I wish I had gotten her one. Of your kitty licks it too much, I’d recommend getting a cone or a recovery suit to keep her from getting to it
thank you!!!! i have a soft pillowy cone that looks like a strawberry on her right now. i wanted to avoid the standard plastic cone because i know it makes them miserable. she has done really well with it and only got it off twice the first day. she sometimes is able to figure out a way to lick it but i stop her if i catch her but i think she was licking it before i came home today and it was irritated. im just gonna keep a close eye on it. i hope your kitty cat is all healed up and back to her normal self!! 🖤

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you!!!! i have a soft pillowy cone that looks like a strawberry on her right now. i wanted to avoid the standard plastic cone because i know it makes them miserable. she has done really well with it and only got it off twice the first day. she sometimes is able to figure out a way to lick it but i stop her if i catch her but i think she was licking it before i came home today and it was irritated. im just gonna keep a close eye on it. i hope your kitty cat is all healed up and back to her normal self!! 🖤
She is, but it took a good month once she got a shot for her infection and wore her little suit
026F9091-4771-48D1-84D1-C89A5F3DDCF9.jpeg