Infected Neuter Incision? Please help!

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I’m new here and a first time cat owner! My kitten is seven months old and he was neutered on November 22nd. Today is the 4th day of his surgery and I was wondering if any of you could tell me if the redness and swelling is normal or if he has an infection. I sent these pictures to the vet also but they are closed on Mondays :(

He’s very stubborn, large and strong so keeping the cone on him has been... challenging. I’ve tried the plastic cones and the flexible cones which he can all get off in a couple of minutes. As a result I’m basically watching him 24/7 but 1-2 times a day he manages to get the cone off and lick his wounds before I can get it back on him. It really worries me in terms of infection but the vet said it was alright as long as he wasn’t licking excessively.

I’ve also tried a recovery suit which he literally hates and thrashed his whole body around non-stop until I took it off. He also has a large incision on his stomach from the removal of an umbilical hernia so I really really did not want him thrashing so much. Sedative medicine (gabapentine) did not work to calm him down either.

Pictures are below, I appreciate all the help! Any tips of getting him to stay calm would also be appreciated thank you!

E2057E08-0947-4EB5-A94F-AB3C59A5B0AD.jpeg

6C3F86B5-0ECD-430B-9CFB-D0A703A42257.jpeg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does look concerning but I can't tell if it's infected or not. It could just be bruising, as I don't see any seepage and it looks more purple than red. As long as he's eating and drinking and acting normal, I think it can wait until tomorrow for the vet to take a look at the picture. But definitely have the vet take a look.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That does look concerning but I can't tell if it's infected or not. It could just be bruising, as I don't see any seepage and it looks more purple than red. As long as he's eating and drinking and acting normal, I think it can wait until tomorrow for the vet to take a look at the picture. But definitely have the vet take a look.
Thank you for the reply! I’ve been watching him almost 24/7 and I haven’t noticed any blood or discharge. He doesn’t seem to be hiding or in pain, which are all good signs I hope

Sylvester’smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there Kyaviana, I know that this may have been long ago but how did the incision heal? Did you need to take them to the vet? Were there any home remedies that worked for you?
thank you :)

mariaasghar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi i was also wondering . its only second of my cat being neutered . he licked it only once and i saw immediately put him in a cone. he is eating and drinking well . he is a little sleepy but everything else is good. he is moving . the only thing im concern about is he area is looking brownish . is that normal ?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This thread is very old. I would start a new thread with your question to get better exposure.

If he only licked his incision once, I wouldn't put the cone on him. The brown is possibly bruising from the incision. You want to look for red swelling and any kind of discharge from the incision sites.