Inexpensive way to spay/neuter large # of ferals?

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my mother-in-law lives in the country near a lake. I’m talking middle of nowhere at least 30 min to the nearest SMALL town. There are TONS of ferals around her out there. There is a house down the road that someone puts food out for them, and they also hang around her land/cabin. She also feeds them. She doesn’t however have the ability or financial means to have them spayed/neutered and unfortunately I’m not in a financial situation to be of much help there either. We are talking 20/30 different cats/kittens that we see coming and going. Moms often come and have litters in her makeshift greenhouse or under their cabin. Several of these litters have been very unhealthy, and many have died soon after being born. We would both like to help stop this problem! But just aren’t sure how. The nearest place that does spay/neuter and return is 2 hours away. They will do it at a discounted rate and pick them up the in the nearest town, but we have to catch and pay for gas and transportation to and from (theirs and ours). And ideas or solutions? I just feel so sorry for these little guys that are struggling and don’t want to continue the feral cat breeding problem! Once I am making more money, I have talked to my husband about driving down and helping her (she lives about 2.5 hrs away from us) but right now we just don’t have a good solution.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think they said the spaying is around $10 each? Which is reasonable, but for all would be between $200-$300 not including gas and traps 😰

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
There's no rescue in the community, or any ideas that the nearest vet clinic might have about a trap/neuter/release group who could help?
There might be information here;
Home

Homepage

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
There's no rescue in the community, or any ideas that the nearest vet clinic might have about a trap/neuter/release group who could help?
There might be information here;
Home

Homepage
Thank you! I submitted a request for info on alley cats and it said there is 1 person within 25 mi of her zip in their network so hopefully I can speak to them and figure something out!

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm SO keeping my fingers crossed for you!
I’ve reached out through email and I’m just waiting for a reply!

A new batch of kittens has appeared on her patio; She was sending me picture of them this morning, and they look a bit older, may have been moved. My husband has banned me from bringing any more home (our one cat was an extremely sick lone survivor of a litter she found under the house and I just couldn’t leave him to die 😢) I hope we can get this under control soon! My heart just can’t take it! These at least seem healthy but my goodness they just reproduce so quick!!

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly, if my husband would let me I would probably bring them all home, get them fixed and healthy, and just end up in extreme debt 😂

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty was spayed thru Trap n Release. She was brought to the vet in a have a heart trap and it cost $10. Can you ask the place if you can set up a payment plan or if they would do a large number at a discounted rate? Do you have any friends that would donate to your cause?

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine. My gosh. I'm in over my head with just one feral that gave birth to 5 kittens. (Her kittens are feral, too, since we didn't even know about them and they're kind of old now). There are other ferals that come and go, too, but the Mom Cat pretty much kicked them all out.

I wish you and your grandmother lots and lots of luck! You're doing the right thing. These cats have to be spayed/neutered. I think most people would just stick their head in the sand. It's good that you aren't.

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty was spayed thru Trap n Release. She was brought to the vet in a have a heart trap and it cost $10. Can you ask the place if you can set up a payment plan or if they would do a large number at a discounted rate? Do you have any friends that would donate to your cause?
I’m not sure if I could find someone to donate, but I may ask about some kind of bulk discount or payment plan!