Indoor Stud Housing

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys!
I am new to the site, so I hope that this question hasn't been asked yet.

I have been interested in breeding siamese cats for quite some time. I contacted a breeder that has been great about helping me and explaining things. But she houses her stud cats in an old (heated and air conditioned) bus in her back yard. I would ultimately like to house my male indoors, (he is only 10 weeks old atm so I still have some time to figure things out) but I am concerned about having my home smell like a litter box! I know that he will spray, and I know that I will ultimately have to contain him in some way so that he is not able to mate with my queen(s) when he shouldn't.

I am curious as to what other breeders have set up to keep stud cats in their homes? Do you have a specific room for him? Or a large "cat house"? What's the cat house made of? and does it contain the cat spray?

I have a room on my main floor that we call the "animal room", (we have two shih tzu's, a neutered male modern seal point siamese, and a classic male and female lilac point siamese) . It doesn't have much in it other than stuff for my zoo crew, like food, toys ect. It's a high traffic area, so I would like to make some sort of housing there so he will always feel like part of the family and I would let him out to roam with stud pants on when he could be watched.

I want to make him as comfortable as possible without having my house stink like cat urine, is this even possible? Or is it wishful thinking on my end?
20170425_145743.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Some breeders have a separate room for the stud (either separated by a door or screen door), if you put fans by the door facing the stud quarters, it will prevent the smell from entering other rooms. In the room, you can spray urine off which should work to eliminate the smell. Never use febreeze, as this is poisonous to cats. When you let the stud out to roam the house, you can use stud pants to prevent spraying, but you should still put the females in another room, as the stud pants will not prevent the stud from trying to hump/mount.

Other breeders have separate stud quarters that look like one of those elegant garden sheds, (the ones that look more like a miniature house).

Make sure that the stud housing has enough room for him to exercise, and it should contain a cat tree and scratching post. Carpeted cat trees will absorb the smell of the urine more, so you may want to look into cat trees without carpet: Banish the Ugly Beige Carpet: Check Out These Cool Cat Trees | Catster, sisal rope scratching posts are a necessity, and they won't absorb the smell of urine like carpet would, so they're absolutely fine for stud quarters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where I am planning to put his "cage", he will have approx. 151 cubic ft of space to play, do you think this will be enough for him to be happy? CFA states that the minimum is 30 cu ft. for the cage, which I think is rather small, especially if your stud will be spending any amount of time in there!

I plan to use plexiglass on the front and the side (that isn't against the wall) so he can see out, the room is a pretty high traffic area with a large patio door/window so there is a ton if natural light.

I will make perches, a hidey house and scratching posts built right into it, with lots of toys and things to keep him stimulated when he is unable to be out with us.

I was planning on using vinyl flooring on the bottom and up the sides a bit, and putting lattice on the top part (to allow air fresh air in), but high enough that he can't spray through the lattice...

Do you think sealed cabinet paint would work for the walls ect? I want to make it as leak/spray proof as possible, and place things in there that will be easy to clean/ disinfect daily but also make it as enjoyable as possible for him.

I know I wrote this post over a month ago, I was trying to gain more knowledge on my own from other websites but I haven't been able to find any plans for what I would like to do.

Most of the cages I have seen are wire cages, which doesn't seem like it would contain the spray very well.

We entertain often and I would be sad if people stopped coming over, because no one wants to have dinner at the house that smells like cat pee!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think that all sounds good! As long as you keep the area clean, the house shouldn't smell like cat pee. The breeder that I visited, the stud room had a slight smell, but it wasn't overwhelming at all, and the rest of the house didn't smell, so I don't think you have to worry about scaring away company (unless you don't clean the stud quarters after a spray). I'd love to see pictures of the stud quarters once it's done!

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just need to figure out how I am going to (or rather my lovely boyfriend) is going to make my vision become a reality, but I will definitely post pictures when we are done! Thanks for your input abyeb!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good thinking from your part, Amezeers, (pretty cats too!), and great posts by Abyeb.

The 30 cubic written up by the associations is of course not what they consider as optimal, its sooner minimum for an acceptable living... And so is by most of such "recommended" cubicage, be it cats or chickens.
The problem is, the commercial producer must reduce costs, and chooses the most lenient interpretation...

I will add, if you can have some innetted balcony, or even better, voliere (as for birds) its very good. Both for studs and for all other inside only cats.

What you do depends in much, if the stud is spraying. Some studs dont spray at all, or just very little.
We for example had (and will have), our boys as family members living inhouse, but they didnt sprayed much, and almost always in one of the corners of the mating room. (otherwise our entrance hall, with double doors).

If you have females too it depends also what breed and colors they are, if you can be living all togheter as a happy and loving family. If they are same breed and say, suitable colors so an oops mating wont matter much in practice (save changed plannning). Why? because its common cats whom live together, dont "ignite" on each other. Its no fool proof rule, so its why its practical they are of the same breed and corresponding colors - perhaps all solid, so they will anyways get out their certificate, and be sold at least as pet quality still for nearly full price.
(In Sweden its common we try to interchange the studs to vary more of the genetic individual- that is why its not given the own stud always mates the own females).
OK, the trick for such non igniting of cats whom live together? When its time, you have them in a prepared mating room. So they understand there is something especial going on, and they are supposed to do something especial about it... :)

But I imagine the standard solution will be something alike you skissed up - and it will be excellent. Combined with the stud pants, it will be even possible for the stud to visit the home millieu almost every day.

Ah, one thing more. If the stud is unstressed and happy, he will probably spray less, and overall, be more harmonious... :)

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply stefanz!

I plan to build a mesh attachment to my basement door for the cats to go outside next year (we are currently having our entire back yard landscaped). I live in Canada so there is only a few months out of the year that they will be able to use it, but I know its something they will enjoy, because they all pretty much sit at the screen door and look out now that it's warmer outside!

I would love to be able to let him run free in my house without him hosing the place down (or mating constantly with my queens)! But I know that his dad was a sprayer, so I want to make sure that everything is in place so that if he does start to spray I can contain him.

If it works out that he can be with us all the time (that would be awesome!) I will just remove the door to the house and it will become (an expensive) cat play area.

He's a pretty happy cat, all he ever wants to do is play or snuggle :) mostly play though!

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is your male cat spraying now? Not all male studs spray. It depends on the breed, personality, etc...

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He unfortunately has started to spray :(

Although it is not often, and so far he has done it in easy to clean spots, I am sure that that won't last.

I have also had two oopsie pregnancies due to him learning how to unlock our cat door (which has since been superglued and taped shut) and then my Modern neutered Siamese opened the freaking basement door for him (what a nice guy eh?)!

So we recently purchased a partial "green house" (that fits up against a wall), it's 8 ft long, 4 ft wide, and 7 ft tall. My boyfriend is going to build it this weekend for me, and we will re-adjust it to ensure proper airflow. This will give him approximately 224 cubic feet of space, plus I purchased some doggie diapers to use as stud pants when he is able to roam around our house.

I will post pictures once it is complete!

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a task. My male is 9 months old and hasn’t sprayed yet. The female is 10 months old and has just gone into heat for the first time. He wasn’t interested. They’ve been together since they were very small kittens. Not sure how this dynamic will work but I want to at least have one litter then I’ll fix them. If he continues not spraying I’ll probably have more litters.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Females should not be bred until they are 18 months old. This is about the same time a male cat reaches sexual maturity as well. You should therefore separate the two cats when the female is in heat.

Females should not have but one litter per year, and should be retired by age 5.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Females should not be bred until they are 18 months old. This is about the same time a male cat reaches sexual maturity as well. You should therefore separate the two cats when the female is in heat.

Females should not have but one litter per year, and should be retired by age 5.
It really depends on the cat and the breed. The 'slinkies' such as Siamese come into season much younger than my breed (Persians) and it can be dangerous if they have to many unmated seasons. I am not saying to breed very young cats, just use good judgement.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The trick in such cases is to lock them into a mating room, totally different from what they usually are in. (you mal let them visit the room before some, one at a time). So they will look at each others with fresh eyes.
This way, they will understand something odd is going odd, and they are perhaps supposed to do something unusual here. Mate, for example.
What a task. My male is 9 months old and hasn’t sprayed yet. The female is 10 months old and has just gone into heat for the first time. He wasn’t interested. They’ve been together since they were very small kittens. Not sure how this dynamic will work but I want to at least have one litter then I’ll fix them. If he continues not spraying I’ll probably have more litters.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No where near ready yet, but this is the start of Tuckers new home! The side pieces and the door we are putting in are actually windows (there is protective tape on them so I can paint).
It's been a long process of going back and forth about where we would put him but I am excited to finally have it started!
Will post more pictures once

Attachments

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Almost done!! Just need to mud/paint the front and make some toys to go into the shelves.
He seems to like it in there, if he is out and I open the door to clean ect he usually comes back in so that's good :)

Attachments

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes! He is out on and off during the day (usually for about 4-5 hours) when I can keep an eye on him. He REALLY likes to sit infront of the fish tank in our living room and watch the fish. I am thinking of trying to get a small fish tank to put in his space as well.

We put my neutered Modern male in there with him at night too, so he doesn't get lonely.

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Loving this thread! You’re so creative and such a good kitty momma! Beautiful cats! :hearthrob: