Indoor/outdoor cat hates using litterbox?

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I havent seen him use a litter box in a while. He seemed to be more comfortable with it before, but now hates it. He wants to do his buisness outside, but I am trying to keep him from going outside. I tried using the two different types of litter, clumping, and large clay, and he refuses to use both anymore inside, even when he used them before. Is there a reason for this? He always whines early in the morning constantly at 6-8am wanting to be let out.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are making him indoor only, just ignore his complaints and don't open the door. It's basically a battle of will right now and every time you give in he gets more convinced that all it takes is a little more yelling to go outside. You'll want to have extra boxes set up and especially one near the door for when he finally gives up. I have indoor/outdoor cats and when we have had to keep one inside they eventually give up and use the litter box. I think it took Link almost 3 months before he stopped yelling and trying to go outside when he had to go. On the other hand our other cat who still had outside access started deciding he liked the litter box more. Cats, go figure. 

Consistency is the key when making the change. But cats are incredibly adaptable and he will eventually figure it out. You will want to make sure he is using the boxes at least once a day and keep them very clean (cats with outdoor access are used to having clean spots to go and in my experience tolerate dirty boxes less). It might be advisable to go with extra large boxes or set up two near each other as my boy hates to use the same one to pee and poop in; which is where half his complaining came from when he was inside. If you notice any blood, hard abdomen, straining to pee, they could be signs he is constipated or developed a UTI (likely from trying to hold it too long) and will need to see the vet for help. BUT, I haven't come across that problem personally and my cats give up and use the box when they really have to go. 

You also should get a cat tree or cat shelves, scratching posts and extra toys. He is used to having trees to scratch and climb along with leaves to chase or bugs. He will need extra stimulation and somewhere to climb/scratch to be content indoors. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am worried about him gettin a uti again. Even with clean litter and dr elseys litter box attractant, he still doesnt want to use the box anymore.