Indoor-outdoor Cat Has Been Acting Strange

astralelias

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alrighty, a little background information. I’ve had my cat, Kobi, since he was a kitten. He’s going to be three years old this year. A little while later, I adopted my second cat, Houdini, who is also turning three years older. They’ve been together since they were both a year old and are both neutered. We lived in an apartment at the time and they loved each other very much. Kobi has always been interested in the outside world; so, we let him out to explore. Almost a year ago, we moved into a new house. It was bigger and Kobi could explore passed the front porch – ideal for him!

Kobi is the bigger cat (I’m not sure how much he weighs now... maybe around 16lbs? It’s normal for his breed... he’s a Bombay) so, he was the dominant one. Around August to September, we got a dog – who is dubbed Archie and is now 7 months old who is a Huskey-Carolina Dog mix. He is still a puppy, so he chases the cats around. Eventually, he’ll grow out of this phase.

Up until this point, Kobi has always been very confident. He’s established dominance over Houdini and never really questioned it. However, when Archie cane along, his confidence diminished and hasn’t been defending himself against Archie. (Of course, we get Archie to stop chasing the cats. He’s starting to learn.)

I believe Kobi has been taking out his aggression on Houdini (who, surprisingly, has been standing up to Archie) because as of late, Kobi has been hissing, growling, and swatting at Houdini. This isn’t normal behaviour for Kobi and it only started up around mid January. He hasn’t been aggressive with me (or anyone other than Houdini) and he has been eating good, drinking water, and using the litter box as normal.

I’m not sure if this is an effect of illness, age, the dog, or being an outdoor-indoor cat.

Kobi doesn’t seem ill – he’s doing everything he normally does. However, I suppose I shouldn’t throw it out.

I’m not sure what I should do.