Indoor only cats wearing collars

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Posting on Hoboforeternity Hoboforeternity thread about how much Gracie actually enjoyed wearing her inflatable ring got me thinking about maybe getting her a collar. But I can't really think of a reason to get her one and/or what the point would be other than I think it would be cute and she may walk around acting like a diva like how she did in her ring.I do worry about Boone messing with it like he did with her ring and end up hurting her trying to get it off of her. He hated her wearing the ring and since they are home alone for several hours, I don't want to worry about her the entire time I am away.

Decisions... Decisions :confused2:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is really a judgment call for the cat owner unless there is some issue that would necessitate an indoor only cat wearing a collar...such as someone who is careless with doors, a cat who seems very interested in the out of doors, etc. I went through a period where everyone wore a collar, dogs and cats, and everyone had ID on the collar. The dog wore his until recently, but since he is almost immobile and is not going to be going anywhere, I removed it. With the cats, one by one something happened. One developed an allergy to the material, one continually "lost" it, they all had their stories, so I just gave up. To me, the wearing or not wearing of collars is related to the well being of the animal. I am not one to tie things around my animals' necks, like bandanas, etc.

My reasoning for collars, and microchipping, was that if there were to be some massive earthquake and they escaped and survived, they might be returned to me.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor only and micro-chipped but my two adults wear collars with bells (breakaway collars). For a few reasons.
1. They look sooo cute with them on (even though my boys are super fluffy and you can't really see them lol).
2. Just in case they ever get out, because they have a collar on them people will know they are owned.
3. My boys play too rough with the kitten still, they like to pounce sometimes stalk her so with the bell they aren't given that chance lol.
My cats don't mind their collars at all really. I just make sure they aren't too tight and their collars are soft as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably won't do collars but I do think Gracie would enjoy it. She really did love wearing the inflatable ring for some reason.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rivel probably won't like the collar. she sometimes relaxed in it (out of no choice) she sometimes just struggles, especially in the night. last night she rolled around like crocodile, then somehow got her front paw inside the cone but stuck there.this is why i worry leaving her alone.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine all have collars for safety, should they get out of the house. Meep often gets hers off and I sometimes catch her playing with one of her "brothers'" collars. Nothing's for sure, I guess. I also like the little bell on the collars because it lets me know where they are around the house.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
We have been debating getting collars since Jasper is a bit of a darter. I suppose anything can happen and if the cat got out, a collar could be a good line of defense. I read something about how cats with collars that get out have a way higher likely hood of being reunited with their owners.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor only and micro-chipped but my two adults wear collars with bells (breakaway collars). For a few reasons.
1. They look sooo cute with them on (even though my boys are super fluffy and you can't really see them lol).
2. Just in case they ever get out, because they have a collar on them people will know they are owned.
3. My boys play too rough with the kitten still, they like to pounce sometimes stalk her so with the bell they aren't given that chance lol.
My cats don't mind their collars at all really. I just make sure they aren't too tight and their collars are soft as well.
Mine wear collars for the same reason above! 😊

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
graycie wears a collar its just a lil more peace of mind for me plan to get her chipped as well soon as this covid nonsense ends i live in apartments if i ever need to evac this place i dont want to lose her in the confusion etc even though i wouldnt leave with out her

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get that they are good to have if they ever escape. Guess once the kittens act like they may try it, I will think about getting them collars and ID tags. Right now, they must remember how crappy it was to be outside and how nice it is to be inside. They don't even attempt to go near the door if we open it. That may change once they are older.

I guess my hesitation is because of how Boone would attempt to get the inflatable ring off Gracie after the spay. He would grab her and start pulling at the ring almost like he was trying to choke her out. :lol: I'd hate to be at work almost 2 hours away and be worrying that he is going after her in his attempts to "save her" from the horrible collar.

I guess I could get each of them one and see how it goes. If both like it, good. If Boone hates it and Gracie loves it but he leaves her alone, she can keep hers. Maybe since I'll be off for three days this week, I will get one on Friday and have until Monday night to evaluate the situation. I will definitely buy a break away one.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently put collars and tags on all the cats. I don't even know if it'll make any difference---I live out in the country so any cat who escapes is way more likely to get eaten by wildlife than get picked up by a human---but hey, can't hurt. So far, 2 collars have been lost and I absolutely can't find them, lol. There must be a tight area somewhere in the house that the cats know about but I don't.

Best tags ever! Kind of pricey:
Boomerang Tags

Budget option if you don't mind danglies, very good for the price:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RSN7Y4/?tag=thecatsite

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently put collars and tags on all the cats. I don't even know if it'll make any difference---I live out in the country so any cat who escapes is way more likely to get eaten by wildlife than get picked up by a human---but hey, can't hurt. So far, 2 collars have been lost and I absolutely can't find them, lol. There must be a tight area somewhere in the house that the cats know about but I don't.

Best tags ever! Kind of pricey:
Boomerang Tags

Budget option if you don't mind danglies, very good for the price:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RSN7Y4/?tag=thecatsite
I also live in the country. When we first moved back in 1997, there were so many cats around our area. We think they belonged to the lady who lived on the other side of the Court because we knew she had indoor/outdoor cats. We would still leave food and water out for them. Slowly, the number got less and less. Now there is none although just last week, I did see two kittens running on the main road. I thought one was injured because it stayed in the road as I drove by. It was laying on the divider line. Turned around and checked and it had run into the tall grass beside the road. I told my husband we almost acquired another kitten. :lol:

I figured I'd just get one of those tags that you can engrave right at the pet store.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the GOTAGS.com ID tags.

Both of cats are indoors only but they wear collars with ID tags and their rabies vaccination tag. Leroy has a third tag with his micro chip number. Emma's micro chip number is engraved on the back of her ID tag.

If your pet has a medical condition and needs daily meds or other care, a medical ID tag should also be on the collar. My previous cat had one that was engraved with "Diabetic - needs insulin daily" and the vet's phone number.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my 12 wear collars despite being indoor-only cats. One climbed out of a window when we first moved into our house, which led me to meet my favorite neighbors because they saw his collar and id tag. Thankfully, I had put on the new id tags the day we moved because it was the following morning that they found him sitting in the yard. We have a second cat that has twice darted out unnoticed because she is so small. She just ran around in the back yard, but still, it is a cause of concern. Also, our neighbor's daughter's cats were in a house fire. One managed to live but had run off afterward. She did not look like the pictures they posted of her, but the woman who found her recognized the collar and contacted her.

After her cat was found, I decided to get distinctive collars for my cats as an extra identification. Microchips are great, but the person has to catch the cat before checking for the chip. There is also the chance that the chip can migrate and not be noticed in a scan. Unless my cats get their collar off, they are identifiable as mine.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a GoTag collartag for my smallest dog (thought I'd try a different brand). It's fine, but not as deeply engraved as the Boomerang tags. Cats, especially indoor cats, probably won't ever wear their tags out but I don't feel like it's deep enough for dogs. But maybe their engraving process is super sturdy. . .I'll let you know in a few years ;).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats have been wearing the same Gotags for the past 10 years and the engraving still looks good and is readable :)

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah wears one of the Beastie Band collars and I added a bell. It helps me know where she is. She is microchipped but I feel better with her having a collar.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... not going to lie. I thought I had just wasted $20 on collars. Boone and Gracie threw a fit trying to get them off. Now they seem ok with them so we'll see. I will try to get better pictures but Boone got a fish collar and Gracie got a skull and crossbones one.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are the best I could get.
20200904_165333.jpg
20200904_162947.jpg

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boone has let it be known that no collar for him. He managed to get it off twice. Guess that means Gracie now has two. She loves her as I expected since she didn't mind the inflatable ring for her spay.